Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
ThanksMemeGiving - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Daily Chit Chat (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Thread: ThanksMemeGiving (/showthread.php?tid=95)

ThanksMemeGiving - EndtheMadnessNow - 11-24-2022

Post'em if you got'em.

[Image: Hvc3D93.gif]

[Image: aaotbnF.jpg]

[Image: CdAHCFY.jpg]

Guess I'll watch some old shows I never remember watching. Anyone recognize.

[Image: tdaj3kV.jpg]

[Image: wpaiQfp.jpg]

RE: ThanksMemeGiving - EndtheMadnessNow - 11-25-2022

Thanksgiving menu 1889 of Hotel Normandie, Washington DC, whose proprietor has the promising name of “Horace M. Cake”:

[Image: Oy9KND0.jpg]

Thanksgiving dinner at Howard Johnson’s for $1.35 in 1940:

[Image: c8Aiwvu.jpg]

Every single holiday feast in the technical services division of the CIA in the 1950s:

[Image: PnkFgrH.jpg]

Thanksgiving dinner on the train, 1900:

[Image: 1OfgHEI.jpg]

RE: ThanksMemeGiving - Bally002 - 11-25-2022

Apart from the LSD Turkey, the other menus were pretty good. Love my seafood and Oysters in particular.  Nowadays an Oyster shucked from the shell wouldn't fit into a tea spoon for 6 to 8 dollars AUS.  

Wonder how big Oysters were back then.  Crays and Lobsters are another like for me.  But I looked at a small cray, that would fit in my hand, for 20 dollars AUS.  Forget it.  Will stick to Banana prawns (shrimp) which are large and cheaper by the kilo/lb. 

We don't have thanksgiving celebrations here but I'm stocking up for Xmas day.

Happy thanksgiving to all you North American friends.

Kind regards,

BallySmile

The 1900's menu -

" i'd buy that for a dollar"

Cheers'

BallySmile

RE: ThanksMemeGiving - BIAD - 11-25-2022

(11-25-2022, 07:42 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Apart from the LSD Turkey, the other menus were pretty good. Love my seafood and Oysters in particular.  Nowadays an Oyster shucked from the shell wouldn't fit into a tea spoon for 6 to 8 dollars AUS.  

Wonder how big Oysters were back then.  Crays and Lobsters are another like for me.  But I looked at a small cray, that would fit in my hand, for 20 dollars AUS.  Forget it.  Will stick to Banana prawns (shrimp) which are large and cheaper by the kilo/lb. 

Kind regards,

BallySmile

In attempting to equate the costs of such fare from back then to now, I struggle to find an equal and reasonable
mathematical connection between an abundant menu that EndTheMadnessNow provided and what is offered today.

A dollar for all that food...? A consumer income survey from 1950 states:
"Average family income in 1950 was $3,300, or $200 higher than in 1949, according to estimates issued
today by Roy V. Peel, Director, Bureau of the Census, Department of Commerce..."

Source:

Where as in 2022 (seventy years later)...:
"Median weekly earnings of full-time workers were $1,070 in the third quarter of 2022.
Women had median weekly earnings of $971, or 83.4 percent of the $1,164 median for men.."

Source:

There's certainly something not quite correct here!
Shy

RE: ThanksMemeGiving - Sol - 11-25-2022

(11-25-2022, 09:12 AM)BIAD Wrote:
(11-25-2022, 07:42 AM)Bally002 Wrote: Apart from the LSD Turkey, the other menus were pretty good. Love my seafood and Oysters in particular.  Nowadays an Oyster shucked from the shell wouldn't fit into a tea spoon for 6 to 8 dollars AUS.  

Kind regards,

BallySmile

In attempting to equate the costs of such fare from back then to now, I struggle to find an equal and reasonable
mathematical connection between an abundant menu that EndTheMadnessNow provided and what is offered today.

A dollar for all that food...? A consumer income survey from 1950 states:
"Average family income in 1950 was $3,300, or $200 higher than in 1949, according to estimates issued
today by Roy V. Peel, Director, Bureau of the Census, Department of Commerce..."

Source:

Where as in 2022 (seventy years later)...:
"Median weekly earnings of full-time workers were $1,070 in the third quarter of 2022.
Women had median weekly earnings of $971, or 83.4 percent of the $1,164 median for men.."

Source:

There's certainly something not quite correct here!
Shy

$1.35 adjusted to 2022 individual income would be $24.76 . Based on a $60,000 annual income average. If you transfer that to a family income, where the medium line would be at $110,000 give or take, then that meal would now be $45.00, give or take.

And now I wonder just how much that 'extra serving of turkey if desired' would go for ?  Laughing

"I'll take that for $15.00, Alex..."

rolleyes2

RE: ThanksMemeGiving - BIAD - 11-25-2022

(11-25-2022, 09:58 AM)Sol Wrote: $1.35 adjusted to 2022 individual income would be $24.76 . Based on a $60,000 annual income average. If you transfer that to a family income, where the medium line would be at $110,000 give or take, then that meal would now be $45.00, give or take.

And now I wonder just how much that 'extra serving of turkey if desired' would go for ?  Laughing

"I'll take that for $15.00, Alex..."

rolleyes2

I think I may have to self-correct myself when looking at the dates and the prestige -I believe,
Howard Johnson once held. $1.35 -using Sol's mathematics, equalling $45 dollars today isn't such a
huge leap considering cooking, wages for the staff, a decorated room and all the festive requirements
that Thanksgiving demands.

So the value of money back then and its worth today may be what I was not fully appreciating.
thumbsup2

RE: ThanksMemeGiving - Bally002 - 11-27-2022

[Image: 1200x0.jpg][size=1]Times Union Archive[/size]
This 1911 ad from Guiton & Co. (Albany's Greatest Grocers) promised an entire Thanksgiving meal, including a "Big Roasting Chicken, a loaf of bread, plenty of vegetables, nuts and side dishes" for just $1.49. And that price included shipping.