Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Mother Earth (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+--- Forum: Fragile Earth (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=87)
+--- Thread: The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping (/showthread.php?tid=846)

The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping - NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-23-2023

My old behind has been doing a lot of reminiscing this week. I guess it is just more proof that I am really getting old, or that I have arrived.

When I saw this video again today, tears actually came to my eyes. I spent the majority of my childhood on the Chesapeake Bay and the St. Mary's river. It is heartbreaking to think that those simple joys of childhood that we experienced as children, will never be known to our future generations.

What are we willing to stand up for? We seem to not value anything or love anything any more.

Quote:More than three decades after the Clean Water Act was supposed to make America’s waters clean enough for swimming and fishing, two iconic waterways — the great coastal estuaries of Puget Sound and the Chesapeake Bay — remained in perilous condition. (Aired 2009) This journalism is made possible by viewers like you. Support your local PBS station here: http://www.pbs.org/donate. In this 2009 documentary, FRONTLINE correspondent Hedrick Smith examines why it’s so hard to keep our waters clean. Through interviews with scientists, environmental activists, corporate executives and average citizens impacted by the burgeoning pollution problem, Smith reveals that a growing environmental threat came not from the giant industrial polluters of old, but from chemicals in consumers' face creams, deodorants, prescription medicines and household cleaners that found their way into sewers, storm drains and eventually into America's waterways and drinking water.

RE: The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping - BodhisattvaStyle - 06-23-2023

(06-23-2023, 06:42 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: My old behind has been doing a lot of reminiscing this week. I guess it is just more proof that I am really getting old, or that I have arrived.

When I saw this video again today, tears actually came to my eyes. I spent the majority of my childhood on the Chesapeake Bay and the St. Mary's river. It is heartbreaking to think that those simple joys of childhood that we experienced as children, will never be known to our future generations.

What are we willing to stand up for? We seem to not value anything or love anything any more.

Quote:More than three decades after the Clean Water Act was supposed to make America’s waters clean enough for swimming and fishing, two iconic waterways — the great coastal estuaries of Puget Sound and the Chesapeake Bay — remained in perilous condition. (Aired 2009) This journalism is made possible by viewers like you. Support your local PBS station here: http://www.pbs.org/donate. In this 2009 documentary, FRONTLINE correspondent Hedrick Smith examines why it’s so hard to keep our waters clean. Through interviews with scientists, environmental activists, corporate executives and average citizens impacted by the burgeoning pollution problem, Smith reveals that a growing environmental threat came not from the giant industrial polluters of old, but from chemicals in consumers' face creams, deodorants, prescription medicines and household cleaners that found their way into sewers, storm drains and eventually into America's waterways and drinking water.

This is another one of my hot button issues. It's not just the pollution aspect that bothers me so. It's that this is a result of the chemical weapons theyve been using on us. If these chemicals are so dangerous, as to pollute our water with it, then why the hell has this garbage been approved for consumerism in the first place??
If these chemicals are doing this to our waters, and for the reason stated in OP, then this proves how dangerous things like face cleaner, prescription meds, and household cleaners really are. Point blank: we are 70% water (i believe) ourselves, and if these chemicals are destroying our water systems, then its all "polluting" the water within our own bodies. And so now, we have the responsibilty aspect of this. These products mentioned, as the cause for the pollution, are (apparently) extremely poisonous, and yet they are in everything we use. 

Makes one wonder, who it is that is truly responsible here. I guarantee the knowledge of the dangers of these chemicals have always been known, and yet they are on every shelf in every store, and our homes are filled with all of it. Our damn soap isn't even safe. These dangerous chemicals are in the clothes we wear. My point to my little detail addition rant here is, nothing we use is safe, and it has all been destroying our planet. 

ETA:
I lived on the St. John's river growing up. We knew back then not to swim in that water (that ran all through the city of Jacksonville). It was said to be the most polluted river in the country. FYI, there were 4 military bases there at that time as well. There are 3 now. Most people know not to eat anything you pull out of that river. It's even more disgusting these days.

RE: The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping - Infolurker - 06-23-2023

If you are still drinking unfiltered tap water, I would seriously think about getting a reverse osmosis system.

Our water is not safe. Fluoride and Chlorine were bad enough but now there are chemical spills left and righ and round-up in all the water sources.

RE: The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping - NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-23-2023

(06-23-2023, 10:14 PM)Infolurker Wrote: If you are still drinking unfiltered tap water, I would seriously think about getting a reverse osmosis system.

Our water is not safe. Fluoride and Chlorine were bad enough but now there are chemical spills left and righ and round-up in all the water sources.

I have well water, and my water is filtrated.

Heart

RE: The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping - Schmoe - 06-24-2023

Do we still put the "@" before a name to "summon" them?  I've done that but it looks strange after I post it.

Anyway, @"NightskyeB4Dawn"#10 , I too, am disgusted by what people do to Earth.  Rivers of trash in India, islands of trash in the oceans.  Sickening.  Those beautiful islands in Indonesia are riddled with trash.  It's an absolute disgrace.  At least the ocean's currents kind of collect the trash and concentrate it.  The stuff that floats, at least.

RE: The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping - quintessentone - 06-24-2023

(06-23-2023, 06:42 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: My old behind has been doing a lot of reminiscing this week. I guess it is just more proof that I am really getting old, or that I have arrived.

There seems to be growing movements by climate activists and regular people in the way of lawsuits against companies and the government, who feel their right to life or the human right to a healthy environment is threatened not only by emissions from the fossil fuel companies but by governments not doing enough or not moving fast enough to mitigate issues.

https://knowablemagazine.org/article/society/2023/the-challenges-and-promises-climate-lawsuits

These types of movements are relatively new by activists and it seems that most lawsuits are rejected by the courts. I have a feeling the activists will get smarter, legally and provide more convincing empirical evidence, as they go and will win more lawsuits in the future. We all know how divided we all are on even admitting climate change is a direct result of human activity and the fossil fuel industry and other industries. It's a tough go, well changing anything societal or governmental is always a tough go.

So there is hope.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20211207-the-legal-battle-against-climate-change

RE: The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping - Snarl - 06-24-2023

(06-23-2023, 07:44 PM)BodhisattvaStyle Wrote: I lived on the St. John's river growing up. We knew back then not to swim in that water (that ran all through the city of Jacksonville). It was said to be the most polluted river in the country. FYI, there were 4 military bases there at that time as well. There are 3 now. Most people know not to eat anything you pull out of that river. It's even more disgusting these days.

I lived in DeLand for 8 years. Then we moved up by Astor. I guess that far south it wasn't all that bad. (for everyone else: The St. John's is one of those rivers that runs south to north)

On well water where I live now. It's probably clean enough to drink right out of the tap, but ...

The good:
I've got a Berkey in every building fitted with both filter types. The dog prefers water from the Berkey and he gets that last word in comparing drinking sources. The utter difference when it comes to using filtered water for cooking versus tap ... is why I'm an advocate ... and why I highly recommend using the white filters too. When we were on chlorinated city water, the Berkey made it all better.

I replaced the taps with spigots in the barns (6 filters). That one difference in usability is huge, because you can fill a gallon jug (or just empty the reservoir) in seconds versus minutes. Mine are set on barstools. Saves countertop space and I can move them from here to there if that need arises.

If you set it up out of reach of the sink's sprayer ... or you can't get a hose to it, filling one up is a minor chore. Cleaning one up can be a PITA the first couple of times ... and that probably needs to be done every week at least. Use baby shampoo and a non-abrasive rag (my wife crochets these things out of some synthetic fiber that doesn't soak up a lot of water). Plan on getting a little wet.

I'll add, what comes off the tap isn't distilled water, but the indoor plants won't thrive on it ... so consider supplementing your diet with a multivitamin. We water all the growing things straight off the well pump. And, I can say the dog goes to both the salt licks and the mineral licks out in the pasture. Note to self: get a goldfish and see how it does in Berkey water. Laughing 

The bad:
I started with a Big Berkey and two black filters. This one is where the capacity for four filters start in their product line. I could almost immediately tell I'd need to fill all four filter slots to get enough flow to use the thing on-demand. You don't really need to though if you're able to schedule adding and removing water. I've occasionally wondered if you could get creative and save money by using just three, but I never really put a plan on paper. My son has the Big Berkey now and it's never been out of service.

The ugly:
You have to be careful setting up the filters or the expense will become a loss. Gotta prime the filters just right and I strongly recommend the dye test until you're an expert (I don't let my wife fuss with this at all). You also need to completely fill the top reservoir once (or even twice) a day to keep the system running right. And, it's okay to fill the filter chamber back up from the storage chamber to keep those filters wet all the time.

You should have done the math in your head by now. Once the up-fronts are paid for, you'll be glad of the investment. But, getting started comes at a cost. I bought once ... cried once ... and I'm a bit relieved I didn't go for a fly-by-night that just left me feeling ripped-off.

RE: The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping - NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 04:26 PM)Snarl Wrote: You should have done the math in your head by now. Once the up-fronts are paid for, you'll be glad of the investment. But, getting started comes at a cost. I bought once ... cried once ... and I'm a bit relieved I didn't go for a fly-by-night that just left me feeling ripped-off.

I have a whole house system. I used to pay a water guy forty dollars a month to take care of it. My brother takes care of it now for me. I just have to buy the salt, peroxide and filters. Cost me less than fifteen dollars a month.

RE: The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping - Kenzo - 06-24-2023

(06-24-2023, 04:26 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(06-23-2023, 07:44 PM)BodhisattvaStyle Wrote: I lived on the St. John's river growing up. We knew back then not to swim in that water (that ran all through the city of Jacksonville). It was said to be the most polluted river in the country. FYI, there were 4 military bases there at that time as well. There are 3 now. Most people know not to eat anything you pull out of that river. It's even more disgusting these days.

I lived in DeLand for 8 years. Then we moved up by Astor. I guess that far south it wasn't all that bad. (for everyone else: The St. John's is one of those rivers that runs south to north)

On well water where I live now. It's probably clean enough to drink right out of the tap, but ...

The good:
I've got a Berkey in every building fitted with both filter types. The dog prefers water from the Berkey and he gets that last word in comparing drinking sources. The utter difference when it comes to using filtered water for cooking versus tap ... is why I'm an advocate ... and why I highly recommend using the white filters too. When we were on chlorinated city water, the Berkey made it all better.

I replaced the taps with spigots in the barns (6 filters). That one difference in usability is huge, because you can fill a gallon jug (or just empty the reservoir) in seconds versus minutes. Mine are set on barstools. Saves countertop space and I can move them from here to there if that need arises.

If you set it up out of reach of the sink's sprayer ... or you can't get a hose to it, filling one up is a minor chore. Cleaning one up can be a PITA the first couple of times ... and that probably needs to be done every week at least. Use baby shampoo and a non-abrasive rag (my wife crochets these things out of some synthetic fiber that doesn't soak up a lot of water). Plan on getting a little wet.

I'll add, what comes off the tap isn't distilled water, but the indoor plants won't thrive on it ... so consider supplementing your diet with a multivitamin. We water all the growing things straight off the well pump. And, I can say the dog goes to both the salt licks and the mineral licks out in the pasture. Note to self: get a goldfish and see how it does in Berkey water. Laughing 

The bad:
I started with a Big Berkey and two black filters. This one is where the capacity for four filters start in their product line. I could almost immediately tell I'd need to fill all four filter slots to get enough flow to use the thing on-demand. You don't really need to though if you're able to schedule adding and removing water. I've occasionally wondered if you could get creative and save money by using just three, but I never really put a plan on paper. My son has the Big Berkey now and it's never been out of service.

The ugly:
You have to be careful setting up the filters or the expense will become a loss. Gotta prime the filters just right and I strongly recommend the dye test until you're an expert (I don't let my wife fuss with this at all). You also need to completely fill the top reservoir once (or even twice) a day to keep the system running right. And, it's okay to fill the filter chamber back up from the storage chamber to keep those filters wet all the time.

You should have done the math in your head by now. Once the up-fronts are paid for, you'll be glad of the investment. But, getting started comes at a cost. I bought once ... cried once ... and I'm a bit relieved I didn't go for a fly-by-night that just left me feeling ripped-off.

I have berkey also in use , really high quality filters IMO .

If the flow slown down, it needs scrubbing , and then it flows again ...

RE: The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping - EndtheMadnessNow - 06-24-2023

2023 has been a hell of a year...

[Image: uqmrIe8.jpg]
Quote:The bridge the train was going over during the incident collapsed, but it's unclear how the incident started, officials said.

Three of the railcars that derailed were carrying hot asphalt, and four were carrying molten sulfur, KC Williams, the director of Emergency Management for Yellowstone County, told ABC News.
Drinking water in Yellowstone County is not currently affected, Williams said.

Montana Rail Link said in a statement Saturday that the incident happened around 6:45 a.m. local time while the train was traveling westbound near the town of Reed Point. Several cars are in the river, including several hazmat cars, the railroad operator said.

The cause of the derailment is under investigation with MRL personnel and first responders onsite, the operator said. Montana Disaster and Emergency Services and the state Nuclear Regulatory Commission have been notified, MLR said.

"The safety of our employees and the public remains our top priority," MRL said. "We are committed to addressing any potential impacts to the area as a result of this incident and working to understand the reasons behind the accident."

[Image: WryHrm7.jpg]

The incident near Twin Bridges Road between the towns of Reed Point and Columbus has led to the closure of parts of the Yellowstone and Stillwater Rivers, the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks said Saturday.

State officials are advising the public to avoid parts of the Yellowstone River due to "potential contaminants."

There is no immediate threat to Yellowstone County, the sheriff's office said.

ABC News' Samira Said contributed to this report.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

RE: The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping - Snarl - 06-25-2023

(06-24-2023, 04:45 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(06-24-2023, 04:26 PM)Snarl Wrote: You should have done the math in your head by now. Once the up-fronts are paid for, you'll be glad of the investment. But, getting started comes at a cost. I bought once ... cried once ... and I'm a bit relieved I didn't go for a fly-by-night that just left me feeling ripped-off.

I have a whole house system. I used to pay a water guy forty dollars a month to take care of it. My brother takes care of it now for me. I just have to buy the salt, peroxide and filters. Cost me less than fifteen dollars a month.

That's the way to go. $15/mo is way way cheaper than my total cost of ownership.

Ya wouldn't believe it, but I'm almost ready to build a water tower. The tower I want I can afford, but the cost of pipe is just too damn high. I don't know if I want to start it and try to expand later. The guy who puts 'em up convincingly says that's what most folks do. We'll have to see.

RE: The Pollution Of Our Water Is Not Stopping - Infolurker - 06-25-2023

https://www.kinetico.com/drinking-water-filtration-systems/