Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: World Health Matters (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=103)
+--- Forum: Psychological Well Being (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=107)
+--- Thread: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder (/showthread.php?tid=838)

ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - kdog - 06-22-2023

This explains my entire life . I was always defiant and never trusted authority. It's like they listed everything a teen goes through as a genetic defect. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41572-023-00448-z

[Image: s41572-023-00448-z]

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - Michigan Swamp Buck - 06-22-2023

I tell people all the time that I have ODD, but actually, I am just an odd person. The symptoms do fit a conspiracy theorist though and I wear that title proudly.

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - quintessentone - 06-22-2023

I would change that to Oppositional Defiant Duty because of the stupid out there.

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 08:18 AM)kdog Wrote: This explains my entire life . I was always defiant and never trusted authority. It's like they listed everything a teen goes through as a genetic defect. 

I only have a couple of those behaviors. And I am pretty sure mine are inherited.

Temper - It took decades for me to get a handle on that one, but I finally got control of it. I have not mastered it, but I am good at controlling it.

Vindictive - It used to be, kill my dog and I will kill your cat, but I have learned two things : when and how to pick my battles, and patience.

Issues with authority - I have never even bothered to work on that one. Like I said, I have learned when and how to pick my battles.

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - quintessentone - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 08:18 AM)kdog Wrote: This explains my entire life . I was always defiant and never trusted authority. It's like they listed everything a teen goes through as a genetic defect. 

Parents and others interacting with children and teens need to read up on child development stages so there aren't any surprises. My parents and teachers back in the 60s did not, they just winged it and didn't get off the ground - dodo birds.

I, on the other hand, read as many child development books I could get my hands on and expected the worse during puberty and I had to deal with each unique issue that sprung up in a unique way. There is no one size fits all here.

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - GeauxHomeLittleD - 06-22-2023

Pretty sure you're just an asshole but you know I love that about you!  Love it

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - Freija - 06-22-2023

Quote:Diagnosis is based on the presence of at least four of the following behaviours beyond what is considered the normative range: anger: temper; touchy or easily annoyed; angry and resentful; argumentative; refusal to comply with authority figures; annoys others; blames others; spiteful or vindictive.

Me as a kid:

easily annoyed
angry and resentful
argumentative
refusal to comply with authority figures
annoys others
blames others

Uh oh! I’m glad this “diagnosis” wasn’t around when I was little or that’s something else I could have had to deal with, however, I would say these attributes were secondary or resulting from my other issues. I also think this diagnosis is kind of bull anyway and just a way to categorize or stigmatize kids that don’t always fall in line and do exactly what they’re told and my guess is this is just another excuse for big pharma to potentially medicate children?

Easily annoyed? Damn skippy when the world around me wanted me to be something I knew in my heart and soul that I was not

Angry and resentful? Oh yeah, you would have been too if you were me. I mostly turned this inward causing me to be withdrawn and usually depressed. I would throw a shit ton of jealousy here too as things didn’t seem very fair.

Argumentative? If she was still alive, you could ask my mom about trying to get me dressed for school in like the 1st through 3rd grade or so. This was our primary battleground until things started easing up after certain accommodations were eventually made. Ask a teacher when things were separated by girls and boys.

Refusal to comply with authority figures? Why do you think I had to be in 14 different schools in 3 different states to make it through the 6th grade and didn’t even make it through kindergarten without being asked to withdraw? I wasn’t belligerent, outspoken or a troublemaker and my defiance was mostly passive but my sneering looks and general attitude of being pissed at everything and everyone was never far below the surface.

Annoys others? Keeping to myself, being quiet, shy and small as possible, my simple existence seemed to annoy other kids and teachers and I was considered disruptive simply because I didn’t act or look like I was supposed to and some were so annoyed, bullying and violence was the most often the result. (ask me again about being angry and resentful!)

Blames others? Yeah. “God” for making such a cruel mistake.

Fortunately, things gradually improved or at least they did after I turned 15 and was nearly beaten to death and the true nature of my struggles fully came to light. After such a tumultuous childhood, it is surprising I’m not a screwed up mess today as my life turned out pretty fulfilled, happy and damn awesome.

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - Ninurta - 06-22-2023

I'm not a big believer in psychology as a science. I have reasons for that opinion, but like the opinion itself, they are just my own reasons.

So, to me this just looks like another attempt to make psychology "relevant" as a science by categorizing widespread behaviors and plopping them into the DSM to legitimize a newly-found "aberration".

Alternatively, or perhaps concurrently, as mentioned above it could also just be another attempt by pharma to promote a "cure" in the form of chemical manipulation on children, just another sales gimmick.

There are too many assumed "psychological disorders" these days - there are enough of them now that NO ONE is free from some sort of mental disease or another. We are all, according to psychology, normal in our abnormalities.

"Opposition" is not a mental disorder, it's just life in the fast lane in a diverse society where, like assholes, everyone has their own opinion. In such a society, encountering opposition is not abnormal, it's to be expected. If we all thought alike, most of us would be entirely unnecessary.

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - BodhisattvaStyle - 12-04-2023

I was the 666th viewer of this thread. Yikes. Lol

I fit right into this one
And same with me. Totally defiant, didn't trust 'em. 

Still don't.

Rogue for life \lll/

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - kdog - 12-04-2023

(12-04-2023, 09:29 AM)BodhisattvaStyle Wrote:

I was the 666th viewer of this thread. Yikes. Lol

I fit right into this one
And same with me. Totally defiant, didn't trust 'em. 

Still don't.

Rogue for life \lll/

I mostly remain silent these days . The rage of hard liquor has been put aside for quite a few years. 

It's funny how it starts. Seeing hypocrisy  unfold before your eyes as those around you believe it all. 

It's all bullshit. LOL !

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - BIAD - 12-04-2023

There was a time when people were normal and the media had better things to write about!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1370]

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - kdog - 12-04-2023

They are becoming distant memories

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - Gordi - 12-04-2023

(12-04-2023, 10:19 AM)BIAD Wrote: There was a time when people were normal and the media had better things to write about!...

Was it a Wednesday?     Laughing

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - BIAD - 12-04-2023

(12-04-2023, 11:00 AM)Gordi Wrote:
(12-04-2023, 10:19 AM)BIAD Wrote: There was a time when people were normal and the media had better things to write about!...

Was it a Wednesday?     Laughing

Yes, approximately around 2.15 pm and it was raining.
Smile thumbsup2

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - Snarl - 12-04-2023

I'll just sit here quietly and let the grownups talk this one through.

RE: ODD : Oppositional Defiant Disorder - stilhuman - 12-04-2023

they are always telling us how screwed up we are. everything must have a label,everyone must be put in a category. thank god big pharma is here to straighten it all out. Laughing