Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
When Time And Society Alter Tradition. - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Controversy and Debate (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Forum: Where Right goes Wrong (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Thread: When Time And Society Alter Tradition. (/showthread.php?tid=821)

When Time And Society Alter Tradition. - NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-19-2023

When I was a young adult, I knew that maturity came with responsibility. Now, being the oldest of eight siblings in the house at the time, I already had enough responsibility on my plate, but I knew that when my parents became old andcould not take care of themselves anymore, that my siblings and I would be responsible for their care. None of us ever gave it single thought otherwise.

It didn't quite play out that way. My Father died very early, he barely made 40. My Mother came to live with me because I needed help raising my sister's children, when she be became sick. I could not have done it without her. My job was extremely demanding, required many after hour meetings, and a lot of socialization. I think if it had not been for the children,  I would have likely left administration a lot sooner, and I may not have every learned about what goes on behind many a gilded door. But that is a post for another time.

My news feed spit out an article earlier today titled, "Suze Orman says now’s the time for boomers, Gen X to tell their adult kids 'I am no longer your bank account' and focus on their retirement nest egg."

https://moneywise.com/managing-money/retirement-planning/suze-orman-retirement-cut-off-adult-kids

I found this an interesting piece, because I had just had this discussion last week with four of my friends. All four have one or more of their adult children living in their home, with their children, and two, have the adult child, their spouse and their children, and only one is bringing in an income.

If you look about social media and the internet, you will see that this is actually the new norm. One glaring thing about all of our new norms, is that tradition fades away.

Tradition has actually become a dirty word, and under certain circumstances, some will even call it hate speech.

Perhaps in the future, tradition will just be something that becomes myth or fairy tales, along with so much else.

So much is changing, so fast. Too fast.

RE: When Time And Society Alter Tradition. - Chiefsmom - 06-19-2023

But originally, families did live together for several generations.  Of course, at a certain point, your kids would be the ones working and supporting you, while you watched their children and taught them things.

I had an adult son living with us for a bit.  Had to give him the boot.  He seemed to have no ambition, after having a good job for a while.  Part of it was getting out of our small town I guess, because he now has a good job and is renting a cute house with his girlfriend.  Of course part of it was me allowing it.
Meh.
Now I miss him.  LOL

RE: When Time And Society Alter Tradition. - NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-19-2023

(06-19-2023, 07:40 PM)Chiefsmom Wrote: But originally, families did live together for several generations.  Of course, at a certain point, your kids would be the ones working and supporting you, while you watched their children and taught them things.

One of the four, has two sons at home without girlfriends or children. Neither one contributes a dime. Bit she loves having her children at home, so she and her husband allows it. One in his late 30s, the other in his late 20s. I have no idea what will happen when Mom and Dad are gone or can no longer work.

The other two are fearful because they know if things don't change before they have to quit work, they will not have enough to sustain themselves, let alone their grown children, and their children.

The living together is not the problem. 

I am amazingly blessed. MMother only gets enough money to pay for her health insurance. But there are eight of us still living, and none of us let Mom want for anything. So she Is not a financial burden to any of us.

I am not blaming the children. They didn't make this mess they find themselves in the middle of.