Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Technology and Advancements (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Forum: Computers, Internet and the Digital World (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens (/showthread.php?tid=795)

The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - EndtheMadnessNow - 06-14-2023

Say it isn't so...Whoa, shocker!

[Image: cU1b7NQ.jpg]
Quote:The United States government has been secretly amassing a “large amount” of “sensitive and intimate information” on its own citizens, a group of senior advisers informed Avril Haines, the director of national intelligence, more than a year ago.

The size and scope of the government effort to accumulate data revealing the minute details of Americans' lives are described soberly and at length by the director's own panel of experts in a newly declassified report. Haines had first tasked her advisers in late 2021 with untangling a web of secretive business arrangements between commercial data brokers and US intelligence community members.

What that report ended up saying constitutes a nightmare scenario for privacy defenders. 

“This report reveals what we feared most,” says Sean Vitka, a policy attorney at the nonprofit Demand Progress. “Intelligence agencies are flouting the law and buying information about Americans that Congress and the Supreme Court have made clear the government should not have.” 

In the shadow of years of inaction by the US Congress on comprehensive privacy reform, a surveillance state has been quietly growing in the legal system's cracks. Little deference is paid by prosecutors to the purpose or intent behind limits traditionally imposed on domestic surveillance activities. More craven interpretations of aging laws are widely used to ignore them. As the framework guarding what privacy Americans do have grows increasingly frail, opportunities abound to split hairs in court over whether such rights are even enjoyed by our digital counterparts.

“I’ve been warning for years that if using a credit card to buy an American’s personal information voids their Fourth Amendment rights, then traditional checks and balances for government surveillance will crumble,” Ron Wyden, a US senator from Oregon, says. 

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) did not immediately respond to a request for comment. WIRED was unable to reach any members of the senior advisory panel, whose names have been redacted in the report. Former members have included ex-CIA officials of note and top defense industry leaders.

Wyden had pressed Haines, previously the number two at the Central Intelligence Agency, to release the panel's report during a March 8 hearing. Haines replied at the time that she believed it “absolutely” should be read by the public. On Friday, the report was declassified and released by the ODNI, which has been embroiled in a legal fight with the digital rights nonprofit the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) over a host of related documents. 

“This report makes it clear that the government continues to think it can buy its way out of constitutional protections using taxpayers’ own money," says Chris Baumohl, a law fellow at EPIC. “Congress must tackle the government’s data broker pipeline this year, before it considers any reauthorization of Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act,” he said (referring to the ongoing political fight over the so-called “crown jewel” of US surveillance). 

The ODNI's own panel of advisers makes clear that the government’s static interpretations of what constitutes “publicly available information” poses a significant threat to the public. The advisers decry existing policies that automatically conflate being able to buy information with it being considered “public.” The information being commercially sold about Americans today is “more revealing, available on more people (in bulk), less possible to avoid, and less well understood” than that which is traditionally thought of as being “publicly available.”

Perhaps most controversially, the report states that the government believes it can “persistently” track the phones of “millions of Americans” without a warrant, so long as it pays for the information. Were the government to simply demand access to a device's location instead, it would be considered a Fourth Amendment “search” and would require a judge's sign-off. But because companies are willing to sell the information—not only to the US government but to other companies as well—the government considers it “publicly available” and therefore asserts that it “can purchase it.”

It is no secret, the report adds, that it is often trivial “to deanonymize and identify individuals” from data that was packaged as ethically fine for commercial use because it had been “anonymized” first. Such data may be useful, it says, to “identify every person who attended a protest or rally based on their smartphone location or ad-tracking records.” Such civil liberties concerns are prime examples of how “large quantities of nominally ‘public’ information can result in sensitive aggregations.” What's more, information collected for one purpose “may be reused for other purposes,” which may “raise risks beyond those originally calculated,” an effect called “mission creep.” 

Most Americans have at least some idea of how a law enforcement investigation unfolds (if only from watching years of police procedurals). This idea imagines a cop whose ability to surveil them, turn their phone into a tracking device, or start squeezing records out of businesses they frequent, are all gated behind evidentiary thresholds, like reasonable doubt and probable cause. 

These are legal hurdles that no longer bother an increasing number of government agencies.
Access to the most sensitive information about a person was once usually obtained in the course of a “targeted” and “predicated” investigation, the report says. Not anymore. “Today, in a way that far fewer Americans seem to understand, and even fewer of them can avoid, [commercially available information] includes information on nearly everyone,” it says. Both the “volume and sensitivity” of information the government can purchase has exploded in recent years due to “location-tracking and other features of smartphones,” and the “advertising-based monetization model” that underlies much of the internet, the report says.

“In the wrong hands,” the ODNI’s advisers warn, the same mountain of data the government is quietly accumulating could be turned against Americans to “facilitate blackmail, stalking, harassment, and public shaming.” Notably, these are all offenses that have been committed by intelligence agencies and White House administrations in the past. What constraints do exist on domestic surveillance activities are all a direct response to that history of political sabotage, disinformation, and abusive violations of Americans' rights.

The report notes: “The government would never have been permitted to compel billions of people to carry location tracking devices on their persons at all times, to log and track most of their social interactions, or to keep flawless records of all their reading habits. Yet smartphones, connected cars, web tracking technologies, the Internet of Things, and other innovations have had this effect without government participation.”

The government must appreciate that all of this unfettered access can quickly increase its own power “to peer into private lives to levels that may exceed our constitutional traditions or other social expectations,” the advisers say, even if it can't blind itself to the fact that all this information exists and is readily sold for a buck.

WIRED

We're going to see the return of Hoover's security index. Probably already exists under DHS. Many already exist at state level through fusion center surveillance operations.

[Image: grrWLP4.jpg]

RE: The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-14-2023

Gathering dirt can be a weak weapon.

The easiest way around it is to unload the chamber.

Just stand up and own up to everything before they have a chance to dump the the information. It puts you in control and and makes their weapon useless.

RE: The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - xuenchen - 06-14-2023

High Caliber Blackmail and Insurance Database.

For specific purposes.

A "Credit Report" 10,000 times more powerful. 

Cool

RE: The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - Snarl - 06-15-2023

They're planning to twist arms sumpin' fierce.

People don't realize how easily they can be slaughtered by a mob.

RE: The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - BodhisattvaStyle - 06-15-2023

Yet, another thing I saw coming.  Social media is counterintelligence on all of us. That's why I've been off social media for years now. The've been collecting data. Especially in the messengers.  That's where dark secrets are on people. 

Sadly, this is not surprising to me. 

I have a feeling they will start to use 'those secrets/intel against them, if they needed to control them.  And if there's been an actual law broken I guarantee they will be coming for certain individuals in the near future. 

But, then again, I'm suspicious of everything these days...

RE: The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-15-2023

I am not one of those people that say they don't care because they have nothing to hide.

This invasion of privacy business has moved way beyond the pale. I just refuse to give into the tactics.

I found out years ago, the way to take the starch out them is a preemptive strike.

The moment someone tries to use an error as a weapon, I take the blame. 

Example, in a meeting it was brought to the team's attention that someone had returned equipment and stored it improperly. Before they had a chance to start with the long sermon and come up with some crazy ass new requirement, making an already long process longer, I stood up and apologized for my mistake.I said, I had no excuse for the screw up, I was just tired that day and not thinking clearly. I said it was no use punishing everyone for my mistake.

They were immediately shut down. Everyone got their message and the milk was wiped up.  Later one of the office folk walked up to me and said, " Funny how you screwed up with the equipment when you haven't been in the equipment room in months". I just smiled and said, "Yeah, strange things happen to me all the time '.

I am not perfect, I screw up enough that I have learned to use my screw ups as life lessons. My screw ups are the building blocks to the better person I want to be and the stepping stones to the place I want to go. So I don't let them be used as weapons against me.

Own up and the only thing they can do is shut up.

RE: The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - Michigan Swamp Buck - 06-15-2023

I had given some thought to getting involved in local politics, maybe even running for some low level township office, but I have lots of dirt and a few skeletons in the closet. Also, I have come to realize that the corruption is throughout and they love playing dirty, so it is far too risky to get involved and become a target in my community.

My influence will be marginal or non-existent, but I don't want to get into dirty politics. I'd rather let sleeping dogs ignore me while I do whatever the hell I want to do. If they can bend and break the laws, then so can I, just under the radar as they will have the dirt to make my grave if I pop up into view politically.

The thing about all this is that they could manipulate the data they collect, even inserting things that never occurred and use that against me even without some social credit scoring system. The digital straw man they made is a marionette they can make do anything, it's real time manipulation of the historical records that is difficult and expensive to correct (if that is even possible). In order to protect that data, you at least need a certified or verified copy of it all to know what is out there, what they could use and what is the real data after they hack your records. At the least you will have the original records before they start making "Trumped up" charges and connect you to the Russians or hookers or Russian hookers, etc.

RE: The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - xuenchen - 06-15-2023

Aside from what they "gather" and "assemble", think about what somebody can "ADD" and "SUBTRACT" from your "File" for specific fees and services. Smile

RE: The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - Ninurta - 06-15-2023

(06-15-2023, 01:15 PM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: At the least you will have the original records before they start making "Trumped up" charges and connect you to the Russians or hookers or Russian hookers, etc.

You say that like you think there is something wrong with Russian hookers! Why do you hate Russian hookers? What did they ever do to you?

Seriously - when an opponent comes at you with stuff like that, or calls you a "racist" or a "misogynist" or "ableist" or any of the other accusatory "-ists" that they try to use these days, you just own it and then turn it on them to make THEM the haters. I've used that successfully for years.

Let's take another example in the massively overused accusations of "racist". Rather than trying to defend against such accusations - getting defensive tends to make one appear as if they feel guilty - I just run with it. "Yeah? You think so? So what? What makes you think I care what you think of me? Where did I give you that impression?" that sort of thing. When they see they can't "guilt" you into compliance, it takes all of the wind right out of their sails. If they can't shame me, they have no control, and it gets on their nerves.

Misogynist? If you think I'm a misogynist, then why in the hell are you just standing here instead of getting your bitch ass in the kitchen to make me a sammich? You think those sammiches make themselves or something?

Honestly - if they don't think they can make you care what they think, they've got no ammo against you.

RE: The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - Freija - 06-15-2023

I'm confused. Is this supposed to be breaking news or some major new revelation?

To me, this seems like more of a duh and no shit Sherlock moment especially since the "Patriot Act" pretty much wiped out the 4th amendment.

RE: The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - Infolurker - 06-16-2023

(06-15-2023, 08:42 PM)Freija Wrote: I'm confused. Is this supposed to be breaking news or some major new revelation?

To me, this seems like more of a duh and no shit Sherlock moment especially since the "Patriot Act" pretty much wiped out the 4th amendment.

No kidding.

Always assume that every character, search, post, word you type on your computer has been logged and placed in your electronic file because it most probably has. Same with the open mic on your phone.

RE: The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-16-2023

Talk about stockpiling data, how many of us have read the fine print on all the agreements we have clicked on.

Black Mirror - Joan Is Awful surely gives us something to think about.

[Image: tinysurprised.png]

RE: The US Is Openly Stockpiling Dirt on All Its Citizens - Ninurta - 06-17-2023

For folks who worry about such things, the key may be to create entire false online people to run. They can track "Daniel Hanson" all day long, but the rubber meets the road when they go to try and find him for an arrest....

That sort of thing is what "burner" cell phones are made for.