Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
100% lab-grown babies in FIVE YEARS... - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Controversy and Debate (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Forum: Where Right goes Wrong (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Thread: 100% lab-grown babies in FIVE YEARS... (/showthread.php?tid=665)

100% lab-grown babies in FIVE YEARS... - EndtheMadnessNow - 05-25-2023

So they say.

[Image: JGyAOSB.jpg]
Quote:Growing human babies from scratch in a lab could be possible in just five years thanks to a new breakthrough.

Researchers in Japan are on the cusp of being able to create human eggs and sperm in the lab from scratch, which would then develop in an artificial womb.

Professor Katsuhiko Hayashi, a Japanese scientist at Kyushu University who has
already figured out the process in mice, believes he is just five years away from replicating the results in humans. 

But there are ethical concerns, as it means women of any age could have babies. Parents may also want to design their offspring to have certain traits using gene editing tools, giving way to the notion of an assumed perfect child. 

Dr Hayashi and his team recently created seven mice with two male biological parents, using skin cells from a male
mouse to form a viable egg and then fertilize it.

The ability to produce custom-made human sperm and eggs in the lab is called in vitro gametogenesis (IVG).
It works by taking cells from a person's blood or skin and reprogramming them to become induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS cells).

In theory, these cells can become any cell in the body, including egg and sperm cells.

They could then be used to make embryos and implanted into women's wombs.

Scientists have been able to make very basic human eggs and sperm this way, but have not yet been able to make embryos.

Dr Hayashi guessed it would take five years to produce egg-like cells from humans, with another 10-20 years of testing before physicians feel the process is safe to use in clinics.

Stanford University Professor Henry Greely told Freethink he estimated that researchers will need another five to ten years to reach a reliable proof of concept, plus a decade or two for safety testing.

Jeanne Loring, a researcher at the Scripps Research Institute, said IVG in human reproduction told The New York Times in 2017: 'I wouldn’t be surprised if it was five years, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was 25 years.'

It would mean that scientists could generate sperm and eggs for infertile people from one of their blood cells, for example.

About one in 10 couples in the US struggles to conceive - and some of those are same-sex couples or hopeful single parents who have to rely on donated sperm or eggs, IVF and, in some cases, surrogates. 

But there are still lots of ethical, legal and safety questions surrounding IVG.

Some ethicists worry that closing the door on infertility could quickly open the flood gates to designer babies, eugenics and legal snags that our society may be unprepared to sort out.

It could allow people to steal the DNA of others using a strand of hair and make babies without their consent. 
In 2016, Japanese researchers created stem cells using eight-week-old mice, picking ones that had dropped a Y chromosome for some reason.

Scientists then manipulated the cells in a way to copy the remaining X chromosome, and create a cell with two X genes - what would usually be considered a female cell.

'The biggest trick of this is the duplication of the X chromosome,' Dr Hayashi said.

They turned those cells into eggs and used sperm from male mice to fertilize them in the laboratory.
The process led to the birth of more than a half-dozen healthy mice pups.

Dr Hayashi told the New Scientist he believes the door is now open to children being born from two fathers.
The aim is to replicate this same process with human cells.

'Purely in terms of technology, it will be possible [in humans] even in 10 years,' he told The Guardian.
'I don't know whether they'll be available for reproduction.

'That is not a question just for the scientific program, but also for [society].'
Daily Mail

[Image: CTMNFLl.jpg]

Quote:In 1930 Frederick Edwin Smith, the First Earl of Birkenhead, wrote a book, The World in 2030 A.D., containing predictions about war  (it’ll be less vicious when the world is a “single economic unit”), the state of agriculture (it will gradually go extinct), and the effects of science (Einsteinian physics will “provide the instinctive background to all men’s minds.”)

But the chapter that really stuck out for me was the one about women in the year 2030, which included predictions about ectogenesis; creating life outside of the body, presumably in a laboratory setting. The author claims that this will be the first step to men and women being paid equal wages for the same work, and usher in a brave new world that enables women to vastly “expand their accomplishments in every sphere of life.”

Quote:    In 2030, the prospect of woman’s liberation from the dangers of childbirth will almost certainly become a matter of general realisation. This evolution, the most serious biological departure since the natural separation of living organisms into two sexes, will vitally transform the whole status of women in society. Unless their present importance and limitations be clearly apprehended, their future development cannot be apprehended.

Science as I hinted in a previous chapter, already foreshadows the possibility of producing living offspring in the laboratory from the germs of various animal species. Hitherto no living animal has been brought to birth ab initio; but the foetus of various species has been removed from the maternal organism and further developed by skilful manipulation in biological laboratories. It is certain that scientists will one day succeed in producing a living human infant by such means. This process, known as ectogenesis, will be violently and furiously opposed by the spiritual descendants of all those who now attack contraception….The first practitioners of ectogenesis will possibly obtain the crown of martyrdom.

Lab-grown Babies in the Year 2030

When searching for "lab grown babies" in circa 2001 I get tons of hits on human cloning and this one:

[Image: rvjRT4v.jpg]
Senate Hearing on Human Cloning

RE: 100% lab-grown babies in FIVE YEARS... - Freija - 05-25-2023

Not surprising. This video is from six years ago.

RE: 100% lab-grown babies in FIVE YEARS... - Ninurta - 05-26-2023

You read about stuff like this, and have to ask yourself "why?". Why would they pursue something of this nature?

It opens the door for quandaries. For example, if they produced both gametes from blood cells of the same individual, would the resulting offspring be a clone? If they produced both gametes from a male, couldn't they make both male and female clones of that guy just by reduplicating his X chromosome and eliminating the Y to make the female "him"?

Of course, they couldn't produce a male offspring from a single female donor, because they wouldn't have the Y chromosome to work with, but it should be possible to induce the X chromosome from a male to reduplicate, thus having two X chromosomes. Get rid of the Y, and you suddenly have a female "clone" of a male person. What are the ethics of THAT?

What if you produced a male and female "clone" from the same guy, and then they reproduced - would his "grandchildren" still be clones of himself, since ALL of the original genetic material came from him?

How many generations of "clones" from this same guy could they keep going? Indefinitely?

There are just some things that mankind ought not to be screwing around with.

RE: 100% lab-grown babies in FIVE YEARS... - xuenchen - 05-26-2023

So when will they legalize DNA banking and Market Trading?

RE: 100% lab-grown babies in FIVE YEARS... - 727Sky - 05-26-2023

I think most people of my generation believed in the scientific endeavor of creating something good out of applied science and research; even though the atom was cracked for war, death, and destruction my generation still believed science could save us and create a better world for everyone.

There were rumors and movies about some A.I. taking over and relegating humans to noting more than waiters waiting on their A.I. Masters (if the A.I. permitted humans to survive at all but those were just movies for box office receipts.)

What was being missed (more or less under the table) was the research into genetic editing that was going on around the world to create smarter faster healthier individuals by gene splicing and editing. There were restrictions in Western countries because such science was considered Taboo yet, in other countries (China in particular) there was only lip service as they proceeded with their plans to create a super human in both brains and brawn as their morals contained no such Taboo against this type of research and development. The Chinese as of 2022 already had an average I.Q. of 105 where other poorer countries were lucky to have anything over an I.Q. Of 65/80 which was adequate for most subsistence living and breeding yet you could not expect any scientific breakthroughs from such a society.

Other factors come in, such has having your greatest minds try to figure out how many Angels can dance on the head of a pin or creating new and better ways to suppress the females in your society through scripture; either of which does not help any real scientific endeavor, especially when females are quite capable of being smarter than the suppressors.

Back in 2018 a Chinese research Doctor claimed he had created three babies who were born with natural immunity against AIDS.. He was sentenced to three years in jail for his creations; not because of what he had created but because he was showing just how far along the research was progressing in spite of the Chinese saying to the world they were not creating designer babies..

By 2022 the Chinese had gone into full production mode of their new and improved designer babies. They had two sets they were developing.

I suppose you could call one set the super intelligent and the other set the bigger faster stronger military set. They finally figured out they could have both traits in the same individual so production was once again ramped up as young women were forceably used to give birth to these new creations whether they wanted to or not (they were paid and received a certificate calling them Exalted Birthers; some birthed 12 children). After birth these babies were taken by the state and nurtured and educated to help foster and bring out their incredible traits for the betterment of the Chinese race. (The Spartans could have learned a few things from this education system as it was cruel and very strict. When some child faltered they were usually not given a second chance depending on their age). Little did those who were in control realize that in just 20 years these super soldiers and deep thinkers would formulate a plan to dispose of the current Chinese leadership, They completely restructured Chinese society so they were the top dogs and everyone else no matter where or what country they lived in were there to serve them or die.

The End

RE: 100% lab-grown babies in FIVE YEARS... - GeauxHomeLittleD - 05-26-2023

I imagine if this progresses the Hollywood crowd will be lining up in droves! For years actresses have adopted, hired surrogates, had abortions or had thousands upon thousands of dollars on plastic surgeries in an attempt to keep their bodies looking like they never given birth- no stretch marks, flat tummies, no saggy boobs, no baby weight, etc. It is necessary in order to keep their careers moving forward as Hollywood only cares about appearances. 

If this technology is perfected and made available to the public there may not be any natural birth from actresses or songstresses ever again, and the star struck fans will follow in their footsteps like sheep.

RE: 100% lab-grown babies in FIVE YEARS... - 727Sky - 05-29-2023

In the year 2525 if man is to survive...there is a tune someplace in many minds !! hahaha In this country it is already 2566 so I guess it depends on who's calendar you want to use ??