Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Pointy Sticks - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Survival and Sustainability (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+--- Thread: Pointy Sticks (/showthread.php?tid=563)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Pointy Sticks - Michigan Swamp Buck - 05-10-2023

Since Ivan and Igor, the two wandering black bears, showed up on the driveway in broad daylight, I've decided to never walk around the property without at least a hefty walking stick. I practice some moves with it while walking like passing it from one hand to the other in a swinging motion. Then I'll stop walking to use the stick to do stretches and maybe practice some blocks, thrusts and swings against an invisible adversary.

I also occasionally will carry a 12" blade I call the pig sticker. I want to find a good place to strap that to, perhaps just below the knee. Not that I would use that against a black bear or coyote, but it works well as a tool out in the woods.

I want to get a crossbow at some point, maybe a long bow, I used to bow hunt with a compound, never tried a long bow.

RE: Pointy Sticks - p358 - 05-10-2023

(05-10-2023, 04:07 AM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: Since Ivan and Igor, the two wandering black bears, showed up on the driveway in broad daylight, I've decided to never walk around the property without at least a hefty walking stick. I practice some moves with it while walking like passing it from one hand to the other in a swinging motion. Then I'll stop walking to use the stick to do stretches and maybe practice some blocks, thrusts and swings against an invisible adversary.

I also occasionally will carry a 12" blade I call the pig sticker. I want to find a good place to strap that to, perhaps just below the knee. Not that I would use that against a black bear or coyote, but it works well as a tool out in the woods.

I want to get a crossbow at some point, maybe a long bow, I used to bow hunt with a compound, never tried a long bow.

Slingshot!  They are fun to make and fun to use and ammo is everywhere in the form of stones.

On unwelcome critters, try stones near their feet as a warning. 

PSmile

RE: Pointy Sticks - Michigan Swamp Buck - 05-10-2023

(05-10-2023, 05:10 AM)p358 Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 04:07 AM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: Since Ivan and Igor, the two wandering black bears, showed up on the driveway in broad daylight, I've decided to never walk around the property without at least a hefty walking stick. I practice some moves with it while walking like passing it from one hand to the other in a swinging motion. Then I'll stop walking to use the stick to do stretches and maybe practice some blocks, thrusts and swings against an invisible adversary.

Slingshot!  They are fun to make and fun to use and ammo is everywhere in the form of stones.

On unwelcome critters, try stones near their feet as a warning. 

PSmile

You're reading my mind! My slingshot needs some power bands, but it has been handy for a mean stray cat and an opossum that eats the cat food on the porch.

RE: Pointy Sticks - Ninurta - 05-10-2023

I have a spare shovel handle - think of it as a spare spear shaft without the blade - that I walk around with. Mostly for dogs that are recalcitrant. I carry my pistol, but don't want to shoot a man's dog if I don't absolutely have to.

The knife I usually carry these days is a folding karambit, so I carry that clipped to a pocket.

On the subject of bows, I've got about 4 crossbows - two of 150 pounds each, and two tiny "pistol" crossbows that pull about 80 pounds each. I have to special order bolts for them off the internet, because they are just straight bows, not compound, and all the crossbow bolts I finds in shops around here are for compound bows - they are too long for these crossbows.

I never use compound bows. I've tried a couple of times, and can't hit the broad side of a barn with one, even if I'm standing inside the barn. Something about that sudden letoff at about half the draw throws my aim off every time. Folks around here think they're the best thing since sliced bread, but I can't hit anything with one. They try to sell me on them by telling me they are adjustable (why? Just... why?) and that you can hold them at full draw - but again, why? I don't understand the concept of drawing a bow, and then just standing there with it like a knot on a log. When I draw, it means I'm about to shoot something with it, so I let 'er fly as soon as I hit full draw.

My friends slag me about the longbows. They tell me I'm some kinda cave man, and that I should step at least into the 19th century and give it a try. I just return fire by telling them I don't need no bow with training wheels on it!

I used to make my own long bows. I'm probably gonna have a go at making another some time this year. Back in the winter of 2014-2015, I cut a hickory sapling and stashed it under a shed to season out. I cut them in the winter like that because at that time of year, most of the sap in in the roots underground, instead of in the trunk. it assists them in seasoning without developing cracks.

So, since this one has seasoned for about 7 1/2 years now, I'm soon going to peel the bark off it and see where there is enough knot-free wood or tiny enough knots to scrape a couple limbs out of it. I prefer black locust, but they are getting scarce around here, having mostly been under attack for 30 years now by locust borers.