Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
It Has Started!! - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Daily Chit Chat (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Thread: It Has Started!! (/showthread.php?tid=559)

It Has Started!! - NightskyeB4Dawn - 05-01-2023

It has started.

I have, I should say "had" an excellent credit rating. It used to be in the mid 800s fluctuating up and down a point or two. I really only use the card in lieu of cash, and then I pay it off each month.

I had to make a very expensive charge a couple of weeks ago. Hearing aids for my mother. They are not cheap. Not even close to cheap. So I charged it on my credit card.

I knew it was massive, so I paid the amount right away. Well, the payment went in, five days before the doctor actually charged the card, I had a very large negative balance during those five days. When the charge finally came in, I went back to a zero balance.

I don't think it made the credit card company very happy. So they dropped my score by five whole points. I guess this was their way of telling me they were pissed.

I want to laugh, but for some reason this is making me a bit more leery than humored.

RE: It Has Started!! - Ninurta - 05-01-2023

Credit card companies are in the business of keeping folks in debt - If one is out of debt, then they are not making money off that person's misery. Years ago, when I used credit, I was advised that keeping a running balance on your card, never paying it entirely off, was the way to raise credit scores. They raise your credit score because they are making money off of that running balance, and they want to encourage you to increase that balance so they can make even more money.

Likewise, banks like big balances in accounts, because they are making money off of your money - they loan it out, then charge exorbitant interest rates, and pocket the windfall for themselves. In other words, they get their money for nothing and their kicks for free.

In 1993 when I got off that hamster wheel, ditched credit companies and banks both - although it took me longer to get out from under the thumbs of banks - I realized a sense of freedom that I had long forgotten. I'm beholden to none of them, they have no control mechanism over me any more, and that makes me feel as free as it does piss them off.

Sure, it's less convenient. If I don't have cash enough to buy something straight out, then I really don't need it that much. After experiencing it, I'd trade that convenience for freedom any day of the week. My "credit score" has likely plummeted into oblivion now, but I can't be assed to even check it. I just don't care. If I'm not going to take advantage of their chains, why would I give a shit what they think of my credit-worthiness?

In the beginning, back when I was just starting out and got married for the first time, everyone insisted that I get credit. They all said I NEEDED credit, and I resisted. I resisted hard. I'd never needed it before, so why would I need it now? But in the end, they won. I got a credit card and built up my credit from there, over a few years. It got to where I could get anything I wanted on just a signature. Anything at all. Credit companies loved me - I was their idea of a "model citizen".

But it bothered me. I could see that this way lay madness and slavery. So I ditched the cedit cards, and never looked back. A few months later, I ditched the wife that insisted on living on credit, too. I figured it would be kinder to let her go find someone that wanted to live the same way she did - a compatibility thing for her. Anyhow, I'm sure my credit ratings fell from A number one  all the way down into the black abyss... but you don't miss something you don't intend to use, so it bothers me nary a bit, and never has.

RE: It Has Started!! - NightskyeB4Dawn - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 04:44 PM)Ninurta Wrote: Credit card companies are in the business of keeping folks in debt - If one is out of debt, then they are not making money off that person's misery. Years ago, when I used credit, I was advised that keeping a running balance on your card, never paying it entirely off, was the way to raise credit scores. They raise your credit score because they are making money off of that running balance, and they want to encourage you to increase that balance so they can make even more money.

Likewise, banks like big balances in accounts, because they are making money off of your money - they loan it out, then charge exorbitant interest rates, and pocket the windfall for themselves. In other words, they get their money for nothing and their kicks for free.

In 1993 when I got off that hamster wheel, ditched credit companies and banks both - although it took me longer to get out from under the thumbs of banks - I realized a sense of freedom that I had long forgotten. I'm beholden to none of them, they have no control mechanism over me any more, and that makes me feel as free as it does piss them off.

Sure, it's less convenient. If I don't have cash enough to buy something straight out, then I really don't need it that much. After experiencing it, I'd trade that convenience for freedom any day of the week. My "credit score" has likely plummeted into oblivion now, but I can't be assed to even check it. I just don't care. If I'm not going to take advantage of their chains, why would I give a shit what they think of my credit-worthiness?

In the beginning, back when I was just starting out and got married for the first time, everyone insisted that I get credit. They all said I NEEDED credit, and I resisted. I resisted hard. I'd never needed it before, so why would I need it now? But in the end, they won. I got a credit card and built up my credit from there, over a few years. It got to where I could get anything I wanted on just a signature. Anything at all. Credit companies loved me - I was their idea of a "model citizen".

But it bothered me. I could see that this way lay madness and slavery. So I ditched the cedit cards, and never looked back. A few months later, I ditched the wife that insisted on living on credit, too. I figured it would be kinder to let her go find someone that wanted to live the same way she did - a compatibility thing for her. Anyhow, I'm sure my credit ratings fell from A number one  all the way down into the black abyss... but you don't miss something you don't intend to use, so it bothers me nary a bit, and never has.

That might be why my bank started with the credit rating service. I don’t have to check my rating. They send me a notification of my credit rating at least once a month, without me requesting it.

I agree their goal is to keep their hands as deep in your pockets as they can get them. But to punish your customers for paying you is down right predatory.

RE: It Has Started!! - EndtheMadnessNow - 05-01-2023

@NightskyeB4Dawn - I think you are part of a very rare club these days, on keeping the albatross paid off.

I only know from my parents that those hearing aids are $$$ - like astronomical cost!! At least the one's they paid for. I could of bought a small new car.

[Image: R0QZhID.jpg]

I have one primary credit card that I rarely use (emergencies) and one credit card for online purchases which has a $500 max limit.

RE: It Has Started!! - NightskyeB4Dawn - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 08:13 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: @NightskyeB4Dawn - I think you are part of a very rare club these days, on keeping the albatross paid off.

I only know from my parents that those hearing aids are $$$ - like astronomical cost!! At least the one's they paid for. I could of bought a small new car.

The cost for hearing aids is ridiculous. My mother is darn near 90 years old and she was really having trouble in her Bible study class, and it saddened her that she could not participate. But she was a hard sell. she kept saying she didn't want me to put out that kind of money for it to end up in a draw or in the ground.

She was convinced that the moment I paid the money she would kick the bucket. She finally agreed when I told her it was my Mother's Day gift, and I wanted to make sure she heard me tell her her I love her if she does start to kick the bucket.

Dental care and hearing aids are truly cost prohibitive to many working class Americans. It is a damn shame.

(05-01-2023, 04:53 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: That might be why my bank started with the credit rating service. I don’t have to check my rating. They send me a notification of my credit rating at least once a month, without me requesting it.

I agree their goal is to keep their hands as deep in your pockets as they can get them. But to punish your customers for paying you is down right predatory.

Exactly. They are predators, and we are the herd they prey upon. Our choices are to continue to be prey, become super-predators, or simply sit back and watch, without interacting, as disinterested observers of the mayhem they wreak.

It's a bad idea to interact with predators unless one is comfortable sitting down to a steak dinner in the middle of a pride of lions.

(05-01-2023, 08:13 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: @NightskyeB4Dawn - I think you are part of a very rare club these days, on keeping the albatross paid off.

[Image: R0QZhID.jpg]

I have one primary credit card that I rarely use (emergencies) and one credit card for online purchases which has a $500 max limit.

I like the idea! I've been doing it for years, and it has never failed me. I have a Walmart debit card to put direct deposits on to, and then I take them right off as soon as they hit, in cash. I spend only the cash, because it's a damned sight harder to track, and none of those bastards need to know my purchase history so that they can further target and victimize me.

In addition to that reason, If I dig into my pocket and my hand comes out empty, I know I'm broke and won't be buying whatever it is I'm looking at. Maybe next month, and maybe never - that extra month might allow me time to decide I never needed it to begin with at the prices they charge for stuff these days.

For online purchases, which I've not done in a few years now, I used a separate Walmart reloadable debit card, to isolate online purchases from my main card... that keeps the hacker riff-raff from getting the number to my main card to clean it off before I can. Whenever I wanted to buy something online, I would load only the amount needed onto the card, then make the purchase so they could empty the card again when they debited it off. If the card number got stolen, there was nothing on it for them to steal, game over, and then I could just cut that mother up and run out and get another one, with a different number. It worked for me. 

RE: It Has Started!! - EndtheMadnessNow - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 09:11 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

The cost for hearing aids is ridiculous. My mother is darn near 90 years old and she was really having trouble in her Bible study class, and it saddened her that she could not participate. But she was a hard sell. she kept saying she didn't want me to put out that kind of money for it to end up in a draw or in the ground.

She was convinced that the moment I paid the money she would kick the bucket. She finally agreed when I told her it was my Mother's Day gift, and I wanted to make sure she heard me tell her her I love her if she does start to kick the bucket.

Dental care and hearing aids are truly cost prohibitive to many working class Americans. It is a damn shame.

I had cracked & broken off a tooth about 2 years ago that I never had fixed. Wasn't causing me any discomfort. Then very recently I awoke one morning with my left cheek swollen & felt like the whole left side of my face was on fire! I looked like I was sucking on a golf ball.

Naturally, it occurred on a weekend and had to wait till Monday morning to visit the dentist. I was in so much pain I wanted to take my '45 and just end it. Luckily, I found an old Tylenol with codeine prescription bottle that still had half dozen pills which got me through to Monday. Damn bacteria had built up and was thriving in my lower left jawbone. I can't remember the last time if ever I was in that much pain.

I was going to just pay cash till I seen the bill. WTF!! Are you freaking kidding me! Fine, guess I won't eat for a few weeks. I let my dental insurance expire years ago. Guess I need to re-apply.

So, yea, Dental cost is insane and believe you are very correct that many working class folks simply cannot afford. Killing us slowly with much aggravated pain!

Oh, if anyone has any homebrew remedies for relieving toothache pain, I'm all ears. And no, I'm not that brave to take pliers and yank it out nor tie string to it and a door knob either. I did rinse often with warm water salt solution that sure seemed to have alleviated the pain.