Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Hiding the homeless from the tourists - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Daily Chit Chat (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Thread: Hiding the homeless from the tourists (/showthread.php?tid=553)

Hiding the homeless from the tourists - GeauxHomeLittleD - 04-27-2023

In the Ville it is Derby season. For the month leading up to the Kentucky Derby there are parties, parades, foot races, goat races, car races, festivals, fireworks, etc. For one month they actually clean up the downtown area (which has gone to shit since covid and the Breanna Taylor protests/riots/looting in May of 2020).

Part of cleaning up downtown involves bulldozing the homeless encampments and herding the homeless out of the sight of the tourists, celebrities and high rollers that come in every year for Derby. They double down on scattering the homeless in the final two weeks before the big race which is what prompted this thread.

Having just returned from a quick run to do errands I can tell you the herding of the homeless is in full swing. We always have homeless folks wandering around our section of town but they are few compared to the hordes downtown whose numbers multiplied many times when more and more were bussed in for the "protests" and promised all kinds of free goodies. After the protests were done and the free goodies ran out they were basically stuck here permanently, no better off than they were before- and now a good many of them are running around our area. 

We are in the south end, far from all downtown foolishness, and usually only see a few homeless when we go out and about (except on paydays when you will find "extras" panhandling at the bigger traffic intersections). Today I saw no less than 30 and that was only at the two stores that I went to that are within a few blocks of where we live. I know that doesn't sound like too many but normally I only see a handful and even then only because I traveled further and to more places. None of the homeless I saw today were people I recognized at all, just like anywhere else we have the "usual suspects" that we recognize from seeing regularly- these were refugees from the downtown bulldozer exodus. There will be many, many more before Derby.

Every year this happens. Lord forbid the city lose any tourist money because they are scared of homeless people. Most of them are decent people down on their luck or mentally ill. It just makes me so sad that the city does this to them because they don't want to scare off the tourists. Funny thing about it is that if they REALLY didn't want to scare the tourists they probably shouldn't let them know that Churchill Downs is in the middle of the hood! It just makes me sick to see people lose what little they have to bulldozers and then be herded like livestock all in the name of capitalism. Fuck the Kentucky Derby!!!

Guess I should have put this in rant. Oh well, my bad!