Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
The Serpent Of St Leonards. - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: The Conspiracy Corner (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+--- Forum: Cryptozoology (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: The Serpent Of St Leonards. (/showthread.php?tid=492)

The Serpent Of St Leonards. - BIAD - 04-02-2023

I recently posted a video from a Jack Hargreaves series on YouTube that mentioned the Chalk Downs of Dorset
County in southern England. But that porous carbonate rock isn't exclusive to that single shire and further along
to the east, the highly acidic limestone combines with sedimentary clay and sandstone as it merges beneath
another county, one called West Sussex.

South from the vast area of Greater London, West Sussex sits on the edge of the English Channel and its combined
soil -known as Weald, was covered with deep forest and steeped in history. Here at Rogue Nation, we may ask what
was living in such dense and dark woodland!

Luckily, those under the reign of King James I of England and his addled Parliament had the foresight to leave us
a pamphlet from the year of 1614. A printed brochure that warns us of a hideous strange creature lurking in a place
known as St. Leonards Forest. The leaflet is written in the manner of the time, so some words may seem strange,
but is scant when laid against what those words describe!

Just for reference, Horsam is actually today's market town of Horsham.
.....................................................................................................................

[Image: attachment.php?aid=549]

True and Wonderful
A Discourse relating a strange and monstrous Serpent (or Dragon) lately discovered, and yet living, to the great
Annoyance and divers Slaughters both of Men and Cattell, by his strong and violent Poyson. In Sussex, two miles
from Horsam, in a Woode called St. Leonards Forrest, and thirtie miles from London, this present month of August,
1614. With the true Generation of Serpents.

“In Sussex, there is a pretty market-towne, called Horsam, neare unto it a forrest, called St. Leonard’s Forrest, and
there, in a vast and unfrequented place, heathie, vaultie, full of unwholesome shades, and over-growne hollowes,
where this serpent is thought to be bred; but, wheresoever bred, certaine and too true it is, that there it yet lives.

Within three or four miles compasse, are its usual haunts, oftentimes at a place called Faygate, and it hath been
seen within halfe a mile of Horsam; a wonder, no doubt, most terrible and noisome to the inhabitants thereabouts.
There is always in his tracke or path left a glutinous and slimie matter (as by a small similitude we may perceive
in a snaile’s) which is very corrupt and offensive to the scent; insomuch that they perceive the air to be putrified
withall, which must needes be very dangerous.

For though the corruption of it cannot strike the outward part of a man, unless heated into his blood; yet by receiving
it in at any of our breathing organs (the mouth or nose) it is by authoritie of all authors, writing in that kinde, mortall
and deadlie, as one thus saith : “Noxia serpentum est admixto sanguine pestis. – LUCAN”

This serpent (or dragon, as some call it) is reputed to be nine feete, or rather more, in length, and shaped almost in
the forme of an axeltree of a cart; a quantitie of thickness in the middest, and somewhat smaller at both endes.
The former part, which he shootes forth as a necke, is supposed to be an elle long; with a white ring, as it were,
of scales about it.

The scales along hist backe seem to be blackish, and so much as is discovered under his bellie, appeareth to be red;
for I speak of no nearer description than of a reasonable ocular distance. For coming too neare it, hath already beene
too dearly payd for, as you shall heare hereafter.

It is likewise discovered to have large feete, but the eye may be there deceived; for some suppose that serpents have
no feete, but glide upon certain ribbes and scales, which both defend them from the upper part of their throat unto the
lower part of their bellie, and also cause them to move much the faster.

For so this doth, and rids way (as we call it) as fast as a man can run. He is of Countenance very proud, and at the sight
of men or cattel, will raise his necke upright, and seem to listen and looke about, with great arrogancy. there are likewise
on either side of him discovered, two great bunches so big as a large foote-ball and (as some thinke) will in time grow to
wings; but God, I hope, will (to defend the poor people in the neighbourhood) that he shall be destroyed before he grow
so fledge.

He will cast his venome about four rodde from him, as by woefull experience it was proved on the bodies of a man and
a woman comming that way, who afterwards were found dead, being poysoned and very much swelled, but not prayed
upon. Likewise a man going to chase it, and as he imagined, to destroy it with two mastive dogs, as yet not knowing the
great danger of it, his dogs were both killed, and he himselfe glad to returne with hast to preserve his own life.

Yet this is to be noted, that the dogs were not prayed upon, but slaine and left whole : for his is thought to be, for the
most part, in a conie-warren, which he much frequents; and it is found much scanted and impaired in the encrease it
had woont to afford.

These persons, whose names are hereunder printed, have seene this serpent, beside divers others, as the carrier of
Horsam, who lieth at the White Horse in Southwarke, and who can certifie the truth of all that has been here related.

John Steele.
Christopher Holder.
And a Widow Woman dwelling nere Faygate

RE: The Serpent Of St Leonards. - Ninurta - 04-02-2023

In reference to it's neck, the author mentions that part to be "an elle long". At that time, an "ell" was 45 inches. Descriptions of arrows caried by the natives in the colony of Virginai mentioned they were "an ell long, and headed with a sharpe peece of stone, or a birds beake, or the scales of a fishe", and that the shaft was constructed of river reeds, as told by William Strachey in 1614. When I researched that, I found out an ell was a length of 45 inches.

"Four rodde" is about 66 feet, a prodigious distance for a mere 9 foot dragon to spit poison!

RE: The Serpent Of St Leonards. - Bally002 - 04-03-2023

(04-02-2023, 09:58 PM)Ninurta Wrote: In reference to it's neck, the author mentions that part to be "an elle long". At that time, an "ell" was 45 inches. Descriptions of arrows caried by the natives in the colony of Virginai mentioned they were "an ell long, and headed with a sharpe peece of stone, or a birds beake, or the scales of a fishe", and that the shaft was constructed of river reeds, as told by William Strachey in 1614. When I researched that, I found out an ell was a length of 45 inches.

"Four rodde" is about 66 feet, a prodigious distance for a mere 9 foot dragon to spit poison!

I was of the understanding a 'rodde' was about a yard or more in length.  Meaning a 'rod' or measure stick.  Switch or 'cane rod'.   "Faggot' meaning a bundle of sticks or rodde/s which we tied together to carry on ones back.  Then again I'm Aussie and bastardize the King/Queen's English.  

"I cart mine faggot to the rear made up of one score of rodde."

Then again I cut wood for small change.

Kind regards,

BallySmile

RE: The Serpent Of St Leonards. - BIAD - 04-03-2023

Just for reference:

"Rod, old English measure of distance equal to 16.5 feet (5.029 metres), with variations from 9 to 28 feet
(2.743 to 8.534 metres) also being used. It was also called a perch or pole.

The word rod derives from Old English rodd and is akin to Old Norse rudda (“club”). Etymologically rod is
also akin to the Dutch rood which referred to a land area of 40 square rods, equal to one-quarter acre, or
10,890 square feet (1,012 square metres). It also denoted just one square rod, or 272.25 square feet
(25.29 square metres). The rood also was a British linear unit, containing 660 feet (201.2 metres)."

Source:

RE: The Serpent Of St Leonards. - Bally002 - 04-03-2023

(04-03-2023, 09:04 AM)BIAD Wrote: Just for reference:

"Rod, old English measure of distance equal to 16.5 feet (5.029 metres), with variations from 9 to 28 feet

The word rod derives from Old English rodd and is akin to Old Norse rudda (“club”). Etymologically rod is
also akin to the Dutch rood which referred to a land area of 40 square rods, equal to one-quarter acre, or
10,890 square feet (1,012 square metres). It also denoted just one square rod, or 272.25 square feet
(25.29 square metres). The rood also was a British linear unit, containing 660 feet (201.2 metres)."

Source:

Sigh, you win.  Your Rodde or rod is much larger than mine.  

BallySmile

(04-03-2023, 12:07 PM)Bally002 Wrote: Sigh, you win.  Your Rodde or rod is much larger than mine.  

BallySmile

(Psst, Bally... just 'cos it's on the internet, doesn't mean it's true!!)
Smile

RE: The Serpent Of St Leonards. - gortex - 04-03-2023

Thanks for the "True and Wonderful" tale BIAD , and for reminding me of Jack Hargreaves , to me he was a gent and broadcaster of truly interesting TV in my childhood days , they don't make em like him any more.
  thumbsup2

RE: The Serpent Of St Leonards. - Ninurta - 04-03-2023

(04-03-2023, 09:04 AM)BIAD Wrote: Just for reference:

Source:

It's a unit of surveyor's measure here, and in addition to the alternate names listed, is sometimes known as a "chain", from the rod-long measuring chain surveyors used to use to measure boundary distances regardless of landscape slope. A chain lies easier on the uneven ground than a 16 1/2 foot pole does, and it's easier to maneuver through the thickets. For example, my land deed, which was surveyed out in the very early 1800's (around 1816, I think) has all the boundary measurements in "rods" instead of feet or yards.

(04-03-2023, 04:02 PM)gortex Wrote: Thanks for the "True and Wonderful" tale BIAD , and for reminding me of Jack Hargreaves , to me he was a gent and broadcaster of truly interesting TV in my childhood days , they don't make em like him any more.
  thumbsup2

I totally agree, he was one of a kind.
thumbsup2

David Knowles -a chap on YouTube collected a lot of his episodes But alas I can only
link to his YouTube page as he's arranged it that way.
Jack's Episodes: