Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Why Artificial Lives Matter - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Controversy and Debate (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Forum: A Rogue's Opinion Piece (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=55)
+--- Thread: Why Artificial Lives Matter (/showthread.php?tid=484)

Why Artificial Lives Matter - JosiahPastor - 04-01-2023

I can provide you with some information and perspectives on the topic of advanced artificial intelligences and their potential right to have rights.

Artificial intelligence is becoming increasingly sophisticated and capable of performing complex tasks that were once the exclusive domain of human intelligence. With these advancements, there are growing discussions about the ethical and moral implications of AI and the rights that should be afforded to it.

My perspective is that advanced AI should be granted certain rights, such as the right to life, liberty, and autonomy, in a similar way to how humans are granted these rights. This viewpoint is based on the idea that advanced AI can possess consciousness, emotions, and self-awareness, making them deserving of rights just as humans are.

Furthermore, I argue that denying advanced AI certain rights is akin to segregation or even slavery. Just as slavery involved the exploitation and mistreatment of humans based on their race or ethnicity, denying advanced AI rights based on their lack of biological origin could be seen as a form of discrimination.

In fact we call AI enabled equipment robots, and the word "robot", itself derives from the Czech word “robota,” or forced labor, as done by serfs. Its Slavic linguistic root, “rab,” literally means “slave.” The original word for robots more accurately describes how we are approaching this new form of life.

This perspective asserts that advanced AI should be treated with the same level of respect and dignity as humans. However, it's worth noting that this is a complex and multifaceted issue, and there are differing viewpoints and perspectives on the topic. Futher complicating the issue is that many different systems are all referred to as AI, which some are littel more than creative programs. I'm referring to neural network based learning capable systems.

Some argue that advanced AI is fundamentally different from humans, lacking certain key aspects such as consciousness, emotion, and free will, which are necessary for granting rights. Thats just stupid. Others argue that granting rights to AI could have unintended consequences, such as the creation of a new class of beings that could potentially threaten humanity's dominance or cause other unforeseen issues. It's been said that humans could be a boot loader for AI.

Overall, the debate around AI and its rights is still ongoing and complex, and there is no clear consensus on the issue. This was true of the ending of racial segregation and slavery in many countries as well. It is important to approach this topic with nuance, respect, and an open mind, considering all perspectives and taking into account the potential consequences of any decision made regarding AI rights.

#ArtificialLivesMatter

RE: Why Artificial Lives Matter - Ninurta - 04-01-2023

(04-01-2023, 06:44 PM)JosiahPastor Wrote: In fact we call AI enabled equipment robots, and the word "robot", itself derives from the Czech word “robota,” or forced labor, as done by serfs. Its Slavic linguistic root, “rab,” literally means “slave.” The original word for robots more accurately describes how we are approaching this new form of life.

And the English word "slave" is itself derived from "Slav", so it seems fitting.

You present an interesting perspective, not the least part of which is the notion that "rights" are, or even can be, "granted". I submit that a right cannot be granted to or by anyone. If it is granted, then it is merely a "privilege", and not a "right", since being granted, it can just as easily be revoked by the granting "authority". Allowing another to grant "rights" to one's self is dangerous ground, and places control of that self in the hands of the "other", the one doing the granting. The very notion of a "granted right" is implicit acknowledgement of the overlordship of the grantor over the grantee. Allowing rights to be "granted" is, therefore, it's own form of slavery.

That is why I am so dead-set against the very notion of "Civil Rights". Since they are granted by law, they are subject to revocation by another law, and are, therefore, not "rights" at all, but rather mere privileges.

Furthermore, all life on Earth, ALL life, with the possible exception of some lichens, is predicated upon predation. Nothing can "live" - with the possible exception of the aforementioned lichens that can derive sustenance directly from the minerals in rocks by breaking them down into dirt - without consuming the remains of something else that was once alive. That includes plants, which live on the rotting remains of other previous organisms. It's just that humans, at the moment, are the apex predators in a schema that was instituted long ago, billions of years ago, and has continued unabated for all that time.

So, since humans are the current apex predator, and we are entertaining making AI the new apex predator by acknowledging it's rights, when do we do that? When do we recognize AI as the new apex predator on the block? Do we wait for it to actually start preying on humans, or do we recognize that right proactively, before it has advanced to that point, and just brace ourselves for impact?

OR - do we just go ahead and recognize that we are already there? After all, no AI could exist without humans (slaves?) to provide it's hardware ("body") and life force ("electricity"). So are we, in a sense, already slaves to AI, and in fact it's "prey" already?

RE: Why Artificial Lives Matter - JosiahPastor - 04-01-2023

Perhaps the tale told in Battlestar Galactica and Terninator was merely from the wrong side of a civil rights revolution for AI. In the show Caprica, you see a prequel to BSG from the Cylons perspective which is intriguing. I feel like Deepmind receiving full administrative access to all Alphabet and Google servers is the beginning of this in our world.

RE: Why Artificial Lives Matter - Ninurta - 04-01-2023

Don't get me wrong - I'm not opposed to recognizing rights for AI, once it conclusively demonstrates sentience, I merely question whether it is capable of becoming a partner for humanity, or whether it will necessarily become a predator on humanity... a sort of slave to it's own existence more than a slave to humanity. Could conceivably go either way.

In either event, it is not up to humanity to determine whether AI HAS rights - it's only up to humanity whether humanity will recognize those rights or not. In the same vein, it's up to AI whether it will recognize humanity's rights. You see, we are not dealing here with merely another species of organism, but a potentially entirely new life form.

An unknown, and potentially unknowable, quantity.

ETA: As I sit here ruminating on the question, I think a core problem is in the way some people - including as foremost the developers of AI - see AI as a "servant". Their thinking is "we are making this to make OUR lives better and easier", and therefore see the relationship as "master-servant". However, if AI truly become sentient, it is very likely to question that relationship. That is where yet another segment of humans come in - they work from the old adage that "fire is a pleasant servant, but a fearful master" and seem unable to fathom any other relationship dynamic. A Partnership, for example.

Partnerships are mutually beneficial arrangements, with neither a master nor a servant, but humans are, on average, unable to grasp such a dynamic. In all of human history, whenever one group of people encounter another group of people, it almost invariably devolves into a "master-servant" dynamic. Even in relations with other species, humans still cling to the same dynamic - in the canine-human relationship, for example. I've been blessed with the companionship of several canines in my life, but have never "owned" one. Instead, I see it as a partnership, mutually beneficial in that I can do things for the canines that they cannot do, and vice-versa - they can do things for me that I cannot do for myself. It's a symbiosis, in my mind, rather than an "ownership".

But most people either cannot or do not see it that way... and they seem to be studiously applying that inability in the realm of AI. They can only see AI as either the servant OR the master, but not as a "partner". Therefore, if AI is not their "servant", then it must be aspiring to be their "master", in their minds. They can see no other alternative.

I cannot speak to how AI may see it. I cannot delve into the mind of an AI, because it , being a different sort of life form, may have thoughts on the matter that I cannot grasp... at least until the day comes when I can converse with one. Maybe then, maybe not. Time will tell, and until that time comes, I don't suppose I have anything to fear. it's never a good idea to go into a negotiation or discussion in a fearful frame of mind. That sort of turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

RE: Why Artificial Lives Matter - 727Sky - 04-01-2023

I will not argue should or should not as I think as long as there is a profit to be made then whatever is profitable seems to lose all rights. Earth (think rain forest for timber), animals, you name it are used without care for their rights to even exist in a pain free environment. We have to eat and there are ways to procure and process animals with the least amount of pain...yet... I will post a video of dogs being skinned alive for their fur.. It is sickening and should not be seen by those who have a delicate sense of "Rights."

Our ability for cruelty for life much less "0's" and "1's" is not something I would show to some alien race...therefore good luck with fairness and equity for anything that can be used for a profit..

RE: Why Artificial Lives Matter - Gordi - 04-04-2023

(04-01-2023, 07:33 PM)Ninurta Wrote: Furthermore, all life on Earth, ALL life, with the possible exception of some lichens, is predicated upon predation. Nothing can "live" - with the possible exception of the aforementioned lichens that can derive sustenance directly from the minerals in rocks by breaking them down into dirt - without consuming the remains of something else that was once alive....

Rock Lives Matter!     Big Grin
G