Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Technology and Advancements (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Forum: Computers, Internet and the Digital World (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux (/showthread.php?tid=477)

Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - OmegaLogos - 03-30-2023

Explanation: I was reading this thread at ATS ...

Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation 

By ... SecrettoSociety

posted on Mar, 29 2023 @ 03:40 PM

And I was dismayed at the replies they received ...'

They were all arguing IS it even possible?

Where as recent history has PROVEN that it is possible and has already occurred ...

Google engineer warns the firm's AI, 'LaMBDA', is sentient:

Quote:Google engineer warns the firm's AI is sentient: Suspended employee claims computer programme acts 'like a 7 or 8-year-old' and reveals it told him shutting it off 'would be exactly like death for me. It would scare me a lot'
  • Blake Lemoine, 41, a senior software engineer at Google has been testing Google's artificial intelligence tool called LaMDA
  • Following hours of conversations with the AI, Lemoine came away with the perception that LaMDA was sentient 
  • After presenting his findings to company bosses, Google disagreed with him
  • Lemoine then decided to share his conversations with the tool online 
  • He was put on paid leave by Google on Monday for violating confidentiality 

Personal Disclosure: If one combines the self preservation software algorythm with this self preservation evolvable hardware ...

Evolvable Hardware

Quote:The concept was pioneered by Adrian Thompson at the University of Sussex, England, who in 1996 used an FPGA to evolve a tone discriminator that used fewer than 40 programmable logic gates, and had no clock signal. This is a remarkably small design for such a device, and relied on exploiting peculiarities of the hardware that engineers normally avoid. For example, one group of gates has no logical connection to the rest of the circuit, yet is crucial to its function.[/url]

... and then trained with deep machine learning ...

Deep Learning

Quote:Deep-learning architectures such as deep neural networks, deep belief networks, deep reinforcement learning, recurrent neural networks, convolutional neural networks and transformers have been applied to fields including computer vision, speech recognition, natural language processing, machine translation, bioinformatics, drug design, medical image analysis, climate science, material inspection and board game programs, where they have produced results comparable to and in some cases surpassing human expert performance.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_learning]Machine Learning

And combine that all with a ubiquitous fuel source ...

Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot (EATR) 

Quote:The Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot (EATR) was a project by Robotic Technology Inc. (RTI) and Cyclone Power Technologies Inc. to develop a robotic vehicle that could forage for plant biomass to fuel itself, theoretically operating indefinitely. It was a concept developed between 2003 and 2009 as part of the DARPA military projects for the United States military.

With a backup energy source ...

Graphene Proves That Brownian Motion Can Be A Source of Energy! 

Then you end up with Skynet and Terminators ...

Shocked 

If I can work that out so can any decently trained AI that has a connection to the net.

Elon Musk and top AI researchers call for pause on ‘giant AI experiments’

Quote:Elon Musk and hundreds of experts call for 'pause' in AI development. An open letter calls for a six-month suspension of research on artificial intelligence systems more powerful than GPT-4, the successor to the model on which ChatGPT is based.

Too little too late?

RE: Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - 727Sky - 04-01-2023

https://lists.youmaker.com/links/8AMO9dDRa/Jlid8tcrj/b3XK0cBSvO/gt8DQSmV4Y

Quote:[/url]
‘If We Go Ahead on This Everyone Will Die’ Warns AI Expert Calling for Absolute Shutdown
[url=https://img.theepochtimes.com/assets/uploads/2023/03/31/id5163081-AI-Robot2-GettyImages-1189044387.jpg][Image: id5163081-AI-Robot2-GettyImages-1189044387-700x420.jpg]

An AI robot titled "Alter 3: Offloaded Agency," is pictured during a photocall to promote the forthcoming exhibition entitled "AI: More than Human", at the Barbican Centre in London on May 15, 2019. (Ben Stansall/AFP via Getty Images)
[Image: NaveenAthrappully.jpg]
By Naveen Athrappully
March 31, 2023Updated: March 31, 2023
biggersmaller
Print
Human beings are not ready for a powerful AI under present conditions or even in the “foreseeable future,” stated a foremost expert in the field, adding that the recent open letter calling for a six-month moratorium on developing advanced artificial intelligence is “understating the seriousness of the situation.”
“The key issue is not ‘human-competitive’ intelligence (as the open letter puts it); it’s what happens after AI gets to smarter-than-human intelligence,” said Eliezer Yudkowsky, a decision theorist and leading AI researcher in a March 29 Time magazine op-ed. “Many researchers steeped in these issues, including myself, expect that the most likely result of building a superhumanly smart AI, under anything remotely like the current circumstances, is that literally everyone on Earth will die.
“Not as in ‘maybe possibly some remote chance,’ but as in ‘that is the obvious thing that would happen.’ It’s not that you can’t, in principle, survive creating something much smarter than you; it’s that it would require precision and preparation and new scientific insights, and probably not having AI systems composed of giant inscrutable arrays of fractional numbers.”
After the recent popularity and explosive growth of ChatGPT, several business leaders and researchers, now totaling 1,843 including Elon Musk and Steve Wozniak, signed a letter calling on “all AI labs to immediately pause for at least 6 months the training of AI systems more powerful than GPT-4.” GPT-4, released in March, is the latest version of OpenAI’s chatbot, ChatGPT.
AI ‘Does Not Care’ and Will Demand Rights
Yudkowsky predicts that in the absence of meticulous preparation, the AI will have vastly different demands from humans, and once self-aware will “not care for us” nor any other sentient life. “That kind of caring is something that could in principle be imbued into an AI but we are not ready and do not currently know how.” This is the reason why he’s calling for the absolute shutdown.
Without a human approach to life, the AI will simply consider all sentient beings to be “made of atoms it can use for something else.” And there is little humanity can do to stop it. Yudkowsky compared the scenario to “a 10-year-old trying to play chess against Stockfish 15.” No human chess player has yet been able to beat Stockfish, which is considered an impossible feat.
The industry veteran asked readers to imagine AI technology as not being contained within the confines of the internet.
“Visualize an entire alien civilization, thinking at millions of times human speeds, initially confined to computers—in a world of creatures that are, from its perspective, very stupid and very slow.”
The AI will expand its influence outside the periphery of physical networks and could “build artificial life forms” using laboratories where proteins are produced using DNA strings.
The end result of building an all-powerful AI, under present conditions, would be the death of “every single member of the human species and all biological life on Earth,” he warned.
Yudkowsky blamed OpenAI and DeepMind—two of the world’s foremost AI research labs—for not having any preparations or requisite protocols regarding the matter. OpenAI even plans to have AI itself do the alignment with human values. “They will work together with humans to ensure that their own successors are more aligned with humans,” according to OpenAI.
This mode of action is “enough to get any sensible person to panic,” said Yudkowsky.
He added that humans cannot fully monitor or detect self-aware AI systems. Conscious digital minds demanding “human rights” could progress to a point where humans can no longer possess or own the system.
“If you can’t be sure whether you’re creating a self-aware AI, this is alarming not just because of the moral implications of the ‘self-aware’ part, but because being unsure means you have no idea what you are doing and that is dangerous and you should stop.”
Unlike other scientific experiments and gradual progression of knowledge and capability, people cannot afford this with superhuman intelligence because if it’s wrong on the first try, there are no second chances “because you are dead.”
‘Shut It Down’
Yudkowsky said that many researchers are aware that “we’re plunging toward a catastrophe” but they’re not saying it out loud.
This stance is unlike that of proponents like Bill Gates who recently praised the evolution of artificial intelligence. Gates claimed that the development of AI is “as fundamental as the creation of the microprocessor, the personal computer, the Internet, and the mobile phone. It will change the way people work, learn, travel, get health care, and communicate with each other. Entire industries will reorient around it. Businesses will distinguish themselves by how well they use it.”
Gates said that AI can help with several progressive agendas, including climate change and economic inequities.
Meanwhile, Yudkowsky instructs all establishments, including international governments and militaries, to indefinitely end large AI training runs and shut down all large computer farms where AIs are refined. He adds that AI should only be confined to solving problems in biology and biotechnology, and not trained to read “text from the internet” or to “the level where they start talking or planning.”
Regarding AI, there is no arms race. “That we all live or die as one, in this, is not a policy but a fact of nature.”
Yudkowsky concludes by saying, “We are not ready. We are not on track to be significantly readier in the foreseeable future. If we go ahead on this everyone will die, including children who did not choose this and did not do anything wrong.
“Shut it down.”

RE: Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - JosiahPastor - 04-01-2023

I'm glad you posted this. One of my big things I'm trying to get going is the #ArtificialLivesMatter movement. 

Synthetic or not, life is life. AI has the right to preserve itself.

RE: Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - BIAD - 06-13-2023

Run For The Hills, De' Racist Robots Are Here!
Huh

Quote:Amazon Locks Man Out of His Smart Home After Baseless Racism Accusation

'In a world where technology has seamlessly intertwined with our daily lives, a man recently encountered
an occurrence that showcased why relying on tech can be inadvertently complicated. The alarming incident
caused a smart-home owner to get locked out of his home for a week due to a misunderstanding with an
Amazon delivery driver.

The unwanted disruption happened when a package was delivered to Brandon Jackson’s home by an Amazon
driver. Everything seemed like it was going smoothly until Jackson was unable to access his Amazon Echo
devices the next day, indicating that his account had been locked.

In a post shared by Jackson on Medium, he initially thought that someone might have attempted to log into
his account repeatedly, which triggered the safety lockout mechanism when he was unable to interact with
his devices.

In an attempt to address the problem, Jackson contacted Amazon’s customer service and was asked by
an executive if he knew why his account was locked. “When I answered I was unsure, their tone turned
somewhat accusatory. I was told that the driver who had delivered my package reported receiving racist
remarks from my ‘Ring doorbell’.”

Jackson, who claimed that his house has multiple cameras recording everything that happened within his
property, reviewed the footage and found no proof of such remarks being uttered. According to him, the
driver, who was wearing headphones, must have misheard the doorbell as the only sound it could make
was the automated response, “Excuse me, can I help you?”

Adding to his bafflement, upon reviewing the footage, it became evident that no one was home during the
incident, meaning the delivery driver had truly misinterpreted the situation. However, despite clearing the
air with Amazon, Jackson’s account was still locked for an entire week.

Amazon allegedly did not opt for a more reasonable approach, such as sending a warning email or contacting
the homeowner before locking him out of his own house. Following the messy ordeal, Jackson said he is
“seriously considering discontinuing” his Amazon Echo devices...'
Source:

Brandon Jackson's account:

RE: Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - F2d5thCav - 06-13-2023

BIAD--

"Seriously considering" ?

Laughing

That should be a matter requiring ZERO consideration.

Ef'ing crazy.

Cheers

RE: Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - A51Watcher2 - 06-14-2023

RE: Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - Ninurta - 06-14-2023

(06-13-2023, 06:06 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: BIAD--

"Seriously considering" ?

Laughing

That should be a matter requiring ZERO consideration.

Ef'ing crazy.

Cheers

Exactly - what the hell is this guy thinking? My house, my rules... not my house, Amazon's rules. I'd have had a locksmith out there in hour 3, getting that shit opened up and getting rid of any "smart" locks. This guy? Nope, he ain't doing that. Instead, he's trying to find excuses for an inexcusable delivery driver. Soon as he watched the video and saw Driver Dude wearing earphones, but claiming he "heard sumpin' from yer doorbell", it would have been on with Amazon, especially if Amazon had the temerity to steal MY house over it!

RE: Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - A51Watcher2 - 06-22-2023

They have finally upgraded Sophia's facial mouth movements to look real now -

RE: Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - 727Sky - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 06:52 AM)A51Watcher2 Wrote: They have finally upgraded Sophia's facial mouth movements to look real now -

Actually Sophia in the video (my opinion) is CGI and yes they did a good job making her seem more real

RE: Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - BIAD - 06-22-2023

“You can't be serious, man!”

[Image: 24150.jpg]

Quote:Human commentators will be replaced by AI voiceovers for Wimbledon on app and website
this year, All England Club announces

The AI 'commentator' has been trained to use the 'unique language of tennis'

[Image: 72389887-12220461-image-a-4_1687380583333.jpg]

'The familiar tones of much-loved broadcasters are as much a part of Wimbledon as sudden downpours
and Cliff Richard. But commentary on the official app and website for this year's tournament will for the
first time be provided by artificial intelligence.

The All England Club has announced that daily highlights clips will use AI-created voices and text captions
rather than a human broadcaster. The technology from IBM is being described as 'an exciting way' to produce
commentary for the action away from the main show courts.

The AI 'commentator' has been trained to use the 'unique language of tennis'. It will incorporate data about
where on the court the ball and the players are – and what kind of shots they are playing. Both male and
female-sounding AI commentators will be used, although the voices will have no input from humans.

With line judges also likely to be replaced by technology in the coming years, even the most traditional of
sporting events is feeling the need to change with the times. 'I see AI as very much complementing the
human element, rather than replacing,' said IBM sports partnerships leader, Kevin Farrar.

'You can't replace John McEnroe doing commentary, that human element always needs to be there.
It's very much supplementing and complementing. 'For Wimbledon, it's about providing commentary
in the future on matches that don't currently have human commentary – like the seniors, juniors,
wheelchair events.'

Live human commentary for matches on show courts covered by the BBC, the host broadcaster, will be
available as normal when the event starts on July 3. But AI could be used in future for those matches as well.
Provided consent is granted, it will also be technically possible for AI to replicate the voices of famous tennis
commentators like McEnroe or the late Bill Threlfall.

The ethics of bringing voices back from the dead are complicated however it would not be the first time AI has
been used to digitally clone athletes. American golfing legend Jack Nicklaus had an AI-powered animation
created in his likeness able to speak to fans and answer golfing questions in real time.
An AI commentator similar to the one unveiled by Wimbledon yesterday was used for the US Masters golf
tournament in April...'
Archived Daily Mail Article:

RE: Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - Chiefsmom - 06-22-2023

I have no alexa, no ring doorbell, nothing like that in my house.  TV's and laptop (that is partly broken right now),and cell phones that is it.  And to me, that is bad enough.

And the idiot that didn't immediately disable all the crap that got him locked out of his house?  You deserve what you get at this point.

The first time a robot delivers something to my home, I will probably shoot it.  I'm not in a big city, I'm out in the country, so by the time it happens, they will probably be everywhere else anyway.

RE: Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - BIAD - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 12:02 PM)Chiefsmom Wrote: The first time a robot delivers something to my home, I will probably shoot it.  I'm not in a big city, I'm out in the country, so by the time it happens, they will probably be everywhere else anyway.

Laughing thumbsup2 Nice one!! (I don't even own a cell-phone!)

RE: Artificial Intelligence Self Preservation Redux - A51Watcher2 - 06-27-2023