Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Wind and Rain a Four Hundred Year Old Ballad - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Guohua's Lounge (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: Rogue-Nation's Music and Media Den (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=122)
+--- Thread: Wind and Rain a Four Hundred Year Old Ballad (/showthread.php?tid=464)

Wind and Rain a Four Hundred Year Old Ballad - Michigan Swamp Buck - 03-25-2023

I have some music I found on CD at a garage sale. It was Jerry Garcia and David Grisman, and they did the song "Dreadful Wind and Rain". I liked it, old timey country-folk type music and last night when it played on my computer on my media player that randomly selected it, I actually listened to the lyrics.

Man, what a messed up story in this ballad. It has a very long history going back to the mid 1600s in Northern Europe and has a number of versions. Jerry Garcia, Billy Strings and a lot of bands have played versions of this song, but those two guys do probably the most common version. Two other versions are known as "Twa Sisters" or "The Two Sisters" and also "The Cruel Sister". They are quite different but definitely the same story.

Here is a summary from Wikipedia . . .

Quote:Two sisters go down by a body of water, sometimes a river and sometimes the sea. The older one pushes the younger in and refuses to pull her out again; generally the lyrics explicitly state her intent to drown her younger sister. Her motive, when included in the lyrics, is sexual jealousy – in some variants, the sisters are being two-timed by a suitor; in others, the elder sister's affections are not encouraged by the young man. In a few versions, a third sister is mentioned, but plays no significant role in events. In most versions, the older sister is described as dark, while the younger sister is fair.

When the murdered girl's body floats ashore, someone makes a musical instrument out of it, generally a harp or a fiddle, with a frame of bone and the girl's "long yellow hair" (or "golden hair") for strings. The instrument then plays itself and sings about the murder. In some versions, this occurs after the musician has taken it to the family's household, so that the elder sister is publicly revealed (sometimes at her wedding to the murdered girl's suitor) as the murderess.

The variant titled "The Two Sisters" typically omits the haunted instrument entirely, ending instead with an unrelated person (often a miller) robbing the murdered girl's corpse, sometimes being executed for it, and the elder sister sometimes going unpunished, or sometimes boiled in lead.

Here is some you tube videos of this song.

Here are the lyrics of one version with alternate verses included.

“Wind and Rain” - Gillian Welch

There were two sisters of county Clair (or County Clare in Ireland?).
Oh, the wind and rain.
One was dark and the other was fair.
Oh, the dreadful wind and rain.

And they both had a love of the miller's son.
Oh, the wind and rain.
But he was fond of the fairer one.

************* other version ****************************
Johnny gave the youngest one a gay gold ring.
Oh, the wind and rain.
Didn't give the oldest one anything.
Cryin' oh, the dreadful wind and rain.

So she pushed her into the river to drown.
Oh, the wind and rain.
And watched her as she floated down.
(Cryin') Oh, the dreadful wind and rain.

Sister, oh sister, give me thy hand.
Oh, the wind and rain.
You can have Johnny (Willy)  and all his land.

Sister, I'll not give you my hand.
Oh, the wind and rain.
And I'll have Johnny (Willy) and all his land.

And she floated till she came to the miller’s pond.
Oh, the wind and the rain.
Dead on the water like a golden swan.

She floated 'till she came to a miller's pond.
Oh, the wind and rain.
And father, oh father, there swims a swan.

The miller pushed her out with a fishing hook.
Oh the wind and rain.
Drew that fair maid from the brook.
Cryin' oh the dreadful wind and rain.

As she came to rest on the riverside.
And her bones were washed by the rolling tide.

And along the road came a fiddler fair.
Oh, the wind and rain.
And found her bones just a lying there, cried.

So he made a fiddle peg of her long finger bone.
He a made a fiddle peg of her long finger bone, crying.

And he strung his fiddle bow with her long yellow hair.
He strung his fiddle bow with her long yellow hair, cried.

And he made a little fiddle of her little breast bone.
Oh, the wind and rain.
He made a little fiddle of her little breast bone, cried.

But the only tune that the fiddle could play was.
Oh, the wind and rain.
The only tune that the fiddle would play was.

There are some other alternative lyrics and you'll notice that the order of some verses are different from the videos.

RE: Wind and Rain a Four Hundred Year Old Ballad - Michigan Swamp Buck - 03-26-2023

I've been looking into the possible origins of this song's story and there is speculation that the main theme, one sister killing another because of jealousy and/or for some personal gain, may go back to pagan Ireland around the 1st century AD with the pagan Irish warrior queen Meave of Connaught (Medb of Cruachan). This is at odds with some that believe the source was from Scotland. We can be certain that there were many versions of this ballad by 1655 through out northern Europe that may have been influenced by a similar Celt myth of a powerful godlike queen.

Quote:In one of Medb’s many possible histories, she was known as Medb of Cruachan. In this tale, her first husband was Conchobar Mac Nessa, king of the Ulaid. Her father Eochiad Fedlimid had given her to Conchobar as the prize for killing his father, Fachach Fatnach, former king of Tara. She went on to bear him one son, Glaisne.

However, she did not love Conchobar, and after she left him, they became lifelong enemies. Eochaid then offered Conchobar to Medb’s sister Eithene, to replace his other daughter who had abandoned him. Eithene also fell pregnant, but before she was able to give birth, she was assassinated by Medb. Miraculously, the child survived as it was delivered prematurely through a cesarean birth as Eithene lay dying.

https://symbolsage.com/medb-queen-of-ireland/

Many of the earlier versions have the sisters as princesses with their parents the king and queen and their suitor a knight.

Quote:One of the most persistent parts of the tale, at least locally, is Medb’s act of sororcide regarding Ethne.  In an act of userpation, Medb  drowns her sister in the river Inny, (named for Ethne). I have wondered if this part of the story might have survived owing to its similarity to the popular ballad, ‘The Twa (Two) Sisters’.

‘Twa Sister’s’ first appears on a broadside in 1656 as ‘The Miller and the King’s Daughter’. Variants and alternate titles include: ‘The Cruel Sister’, ‘The Bonnie Milldams of Binnorie’, ‘The Bonny Bows o’ London’, ‘Binnorie’.  ‘Sister, Dear Sister’ , ‘The Wind and the Rain’ among others. Its popularity has transferred the setting to a wide variety of river side locations, from Edinburgh to London, from the Thames to the Tweed.

https://storyarchaeology.com/the-two-sisters-an-old-ballad/

Once we get to the "Wind and Rain" versions that survived into Canada and the States, we have a miller, his son, a wandering "fiddler" and the two sisters involved. I suspect that some true story was picked up by a medieval European traveling bard and became a popular folk song due to it's similarity with the ancient pagan stories. Some times the miller merely pulls the girl's body from the water, but he also doubles for the fiddler and even helps drown her after the sister gives him jewelry and coins. The miller, the river or brook and the dam seem important even though many of the songs have her getting pushed into the sea while watching for ships arriving back to port and her bones being washed by the tide water. One version has the miller part her out for all kinds of musical accessories including some eyeglasses to boot.

If I were to guess, I'd say that the narrative of this song as we have it today probably came about around the time Christianity took hold in Ireland, after around 300AD or so. If we go with the Ireland first theory, then Scandinavia may have picked up on this after the Vikings were an influence there in early 800AD. The fiddle began as a medieval European bowed, stringed musical instrument. The medieval fiddle emerged around the 10th-century in Europe (900AD) this would have been half way through the Viking era in Ireland making this song possibly as old 1,100 years or a little more.

A link to the lyrics of the first written record of these songs published in 1656.

https://www.contemplator.com/child/variant10.html#A

RE: Wind and Rain a Four Hundred Year Old Ballad - Michigan Swamp Buck - 03-26-2023

I should have dug more, but it seems that this was an English fairy tale published in 1890. Obviously the tale is much older if this song was written down in 1656.

Quote:Binnorie England

Once upon a time there were two king's daughters who lived in a bower near the bonny mill dams of Binnorie. And Sir William came wooing the eldest and won her love, and plighted troth with glove and with ring. But after a time he looked upon the youngest, with her cherry cheeks and golden hair, and his love went out to her until he cared no longer for the eldest one. So she hated her sister for taking away Sir William's love, and day by day her hate grew and grew and she plotted and she planned how to get rid of her.

So one fine morning, fair and clear, she said to her sister, "Let us go and see our father's boats come in at the bonny mill stream of Binnorie."
So they went there hand in hand. And when they came to the river's bank the youngest got upon a stone to watch for the beaching of the boats. And her sister, coming behind her, caught her round the waist and dashed her into the rushing mill stream of Binnorie.
"Oh sister, sister, reach me your hand!" she cried, as she floated away, "and you shall have half of all I've got or shall get."
"No, sister, I'll reach you no hand of mine, for I am the heir to all your land. Shame on me if I touch her hand that has come 'twixt me and my own heart's love."
"Oh sister, oh sister, then reach me your glove!" she cried, as she floated further away, "and you shall have your William again."
"Sink on," cried the cruel princess, "no hand or glove of mine you'll touch. Sweet William will be all mine when you are sunk beneath the bonny mill stream of Binnorie." And she turned and went home to the king's castle.
And the princess floated down the mill stream, sometimes swimming and sometimes sinking, until she came near the mill. Now the miller's daughter was cooking that day, and needed water for her cooking. And as she went to draw it from the stream, she saw something floating towards the mill dam, and she called out, "Father! father! draw your dam. There's something white -- a merrymaid or a milk white swan -- coming down the stream." So the miller hastened to the dam and stopped the heavy cruel mill wheels. And then they took out the princess and laid her on the bank.
Fair and beautiful she looked as she lay there. In her golden hair were pearls and precious stones; you could not see her waist for her golden girdle, and the golden fringe of her white dress came down over her lily feet. But she was drowned, drowned!
And as she lay there in her beauty a famous harper passed by the mill dam of Binnorie, and saw her sweet pale face. And though he traveled on far away he never forgot that face, and after many days he came back to the bonny mill stream of Binnorie. But then all he could find of her where they had put her to rest were her bones and her golden hair. So he made a harp out of her breast bone and her hair, and traveled on up the hill from the mill dam of Binnorie, until he came to the castle of the king her father.
That night they were all gathered in the castle hall to hear the great harper: king and queen, their daughter and son, Sir William, and all their court. And first the harper sang to his old harp, making them joy and be glad, or sorrow and weep just as he liked. But while he sang he put the harp he had made that day on a stone in the hall. And presently it began to sing by itself, low and clear, and the harper stopped and all were hushed.
And this was what the harp sung:
Quote:Oh yonder sits my father, the king,
Binnorie, oh Binnorie;
And yonder sits my mother, the queen;
By the bony mill dams o' Binnorie.
And yonder stands my brother Hugh,
Binnorie, oh Binnorie;
And by him, my William, false and true;
By the bonny mill dams o' Binnorie.
Then they all wondered, and the harper told them how he had seen the princess lying drowned on the bank near the bonny mill dams o' Binnorie, and how he had afterwards made this harp out of her hair and breast bone. Just then the harp began singing again, and this was what it sang out loud and clear:
Quote:And there sits my sister who drownèd me
By the bonny mill dams o' Binnorie.
And the harp snapped and broke, and never sang more.

https://sites.pitt.edu/~dash/type0780.html

The fact that the body was dumped in the sea and then ended up in a mill pond could be due to it being a tide mill pond at the sea shore. Such tide mills were in Ireland and England in the 600s AD.

Quote:A tide mill is a water mill driven by tidal rise and fall. A dam with a sluice is created across a suitable tidal inlet, or a section of river estuary is made into a reservoir. As the tide comes in, it enters the mill pond through a one-way gate, and this gate closes automatically when the tide begins to fall. When the tide is low enough, the stored water can be released to turn a water wheel.

Tide mills are usually situated in river estuaries, away from the effects of waves but close enough to the sea to have a reasonable tidal range. Cultures that built such mills have existed since the Middle Ages, and some may date back to the Roman period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide_mill

My conclusion is that this began as a real story about a woman who murdered her sister over a love triangle. She pushed her sister into a river estuary near a tide mill where she drowned and her body was later recovered by the miller and his daughter who left it on the shore to decompose. The sisters may have been royalty as it may have been from the pre Roman era when there wasn't any written record of the event. Otherwise, the event may have occurred around the mid 1500s after the tide mills were taken from the monasteries and were likely owned by the king or some wealthy lord and run by peasants.

Quote:The dissolution of the monasteries, occasionally referred to as the suppression of the monasteries, was the set of administrative and legal processes between 1536 and 1541 by which Henry VIII disbanded monasteries, priories, convents, and friaries in England, Wales, and Ireland, expropriated their income, disposed of their assets, and provided for their former personnel and functions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissolution_of_the_monasteries

Perhaps these sisters had wealthy and important parents and were being courted by a wealthy land owner. He choose one over the other and the older sister lost out on more wealth and status and so she killed the younger one and blamed the "dreadful wind and rain" for the "accidental death". The body floated around until retrieved by the miller who probably took the girls belongings and kept quiet until a traveling bard found the remains and then later composed a song that implicated the sister in the death.

Actually I like this story, the bard can be like an investigative journalist looking for a juicy story to use in a ballad. He finds the body, questions the miller and then hears the story of the dead sister and finds out more when he performs for the local lordship and his family.

RE: Wind and Rain a Four Hundred Year Old Ballad - Michigan Swamp Buck - 03-27-2023

I've been continuing my research by finding the location of medieval castles and tide mills in County Clare in Ireland as it seems that these are the main details of the story that could solve this mystery. I'm going with the facts that support the Ireland origin theory as I had found no legend, myth, folk or fairy tale from Scandinavia/Norway that even comes close to this, not a shred of evidence except the quote that was referenced that made the claim by one expert that it was certain this was Scandinavian in origin. The closest I could find was a German fairy tale called "The Singing Bone" in the Grim collection that was based on an ancient Greek legend that had haunted human remains used to make a musical instrument. No indication where that story came from as the brothers Grimm never told us where.

So, I am looking for an old castle in the UK, in County Clare Ireland specifically, that was occupied around mid 1500s or earlier, that was on a hill top near a river estuary that had enough tidal action to have at least one, or likely more, tide mills and a shipping port.

The unnamed sisters are daughters of the lord of a castle near the mills that may have been royalty who lived in "a bower " (room, hall, or building used for housing) near the bonny mill dams of "Binnorie". Bonny is defined as beautiful or handsome and merry or lively so we can assume it was an attractive lively port with some nice mills. "Binnorie" may be a family name as it is not found as a place name and seems to have no Gaelic or English meaning. No luck with that on the genealogy sites. The sisters were involved with one Sir William that may have been a knight and they had a brother named Hugh. There are a whole ton of Sir Williams in UK history, no help there. The river was called a mill stream and a brook, so may have not been a major river, but it had let out near the ocean and had a port, so it had to be sizable. There are a number of rivers in Ireland called mill stream and brook stream though they don't seem to fit the location I'm looking for.

As far as the traveling bard goes, by the 1500s bards were out and Troubadours & Minstrels were in. I believe we are talking a traveling minstrel by the description given below.

Quote:Troubadours & Minstrels Replace Bards

Since medieval bards were regulated and subjected to various laws, they were eventually replaced by Troubadours and Minstrels who became famous during the middle ages. Minstrels were mostly servants whose services were obtained primarily as traveling musicians.

Medieval Minstrel
Minstrel Minstrels performed songs that told stories about distant places, historical events, and imaginary events. Most minstrels created their own stories and tales, and they often memorized and embellished the works of other musicians or poets.

https://www.medievalchronicles.com/medieval-people/medieval-entertainers/medieval-bard/

RE: Wind and Rain a Four Hundred Year Old Ballad - Michigan Swamp Buck - 03-27-2023

I've been thinking about this minstrel and that perhaps there was some liberties taken with the story. I doubt that some traveling minstrel that is barely getting by would take a chance on getting in trouble for naming real names or being too exact in the details of his songs. The basic story is likely true but this royal family, castle and knight might be exaggerations meant to hint at something, to act like a clue, but also to hide the real facts of the story. Perhaps this area called the "mill dams of Binnorie" is some fiction that is used to represent some town or area that has some similar characteristics. One detail I'm sure is BS is that the harp playing minstrel is famous and great and makes me believe that the song writer had personal knowledge of this incident and was exaggerating that fact.

And just another detail that I noticed. The older sister was "dark" and the younger one "fair", so knowing that the younger sister was blond and fair skinned, it's likely that the older one was brunette with dark eyes and olive complexion and could have the implication that maybe the eldest sister was a "black Irish" half-sister and had some political meaning I couldn't possibly understand.

Still though, all the details in this story make it stand out as something that really happened. That is a really elaborate tale that could have left out most of those details and still told the story in the ballad. It had to be a good story to survive this long and it did lose details as it went along, so with all that remaining detail, it rings true to me.

I sure expected at least one member to chime in, like one who might even know about this classic song.

Here is a version of "Wind and Rain" that I feel is about the best as far as preserving the story in the lyrics and with the style of Irish folk music. This one is by an Irish folk group called "Altan".

Now, this version is "The Two Sisters" by an Irish folk group called "Dervish". This song about the same story is far more traditional and can be hard to understand. It's also a simpler version of the story that has the miller charged with murder and hung and the older sister boiled in lead. Personally I think it's a less accurate telling of this story because of the lack of details, but it may have it right about the miller being hung for the murder, it's all guess work at this point.

RE: Wind and Rain a Four Hundred Year Old Ballad - Michigan Swamp Buck - 03-30-2023

A couple of likes and no replies, I guess there isn't too many here who are interested in fairy tales and old Irish folk tunes.

Only a couple replies on ATS for this, and one mod gave me a bonus and a very high complement for the thread. It gets deep and actually more creepy, I've gotten it back to around 1050AD and have connected it to the Norman conquest of England and Ireland. I believe that I even have found the family and the place this story occurred. You'll have to go over to the other side to see, because it's not going anywhere with the Rouges here.

Sorry guys, and I don't blame anyone here or on ATS for that matter, but RN is dropping down below even face book with ATS barely keeping me coming back. I'll tell you what though, from what I've found I could stir up the literary, historical and genealogical world with my theory that I've come up with, but as a nobody with zero credentials on the subject, it will become my fiction and a story I should copy write.