Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
STOVIES - A Scottish "delicacy"? - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: A Rogue's Rations (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: STOVIES - A Scottish "delicacy"? (/showthread.php?tid=263)

STOVIES - A Scottish "delicacy"? - Gordi - 01-10-2023

As requested by @Rodinus:
Quote:Would you happen to have a home recipe for STOVIES please? IF SO could you possibly create a thread? THANKS

Yes, I DO have a recipe for home made Stovies (in my head!).

For the un-initiated, Stovies is a simple, cheap but substantial type of stew-dish from Scotland (Similar to the Welsh "Cawl" I think?). It was originally a "peasant" dish which mainly used leftovers as the main ingredients - times were hard and the people wasted nothing!
There are many, MANY different recipes for it, and it is differs quite a lot in different regions, town from town, even from family to family, but here's how my "Grannie" used to make it (and I still do!).

INGREDIENTS:
1 Large Onion (Diced).
Some Potatoes (peeled and chopped into 1"(2.5cm) chunks.
Scottish Lorne (Square Sliced) Sausage, cut into 1"(2.5cm) squares (You can use left-over cooked roast beef, Mutton/Lamb,  other types of sausage, or even Corned Beef - but I use Scottish Lorne Sausage - approximately half of the amount as there were potatoes!).
About 1 - 1.5 pints of (warm) Beef Stock (or Ham Stock).
A little lard, fat, beef dripping or oil for frying.
Salt & Pepper for Seasoning.

METHOD:
Using a large (deep sided) pan - fry the diced onion in the oil/lard/fat for a couple of minutes.
Add the sausage/meat and fry for a couple of minutes more.
When the sausage is browned, add the chopped potatoes and the warm stock.
Simmer for approx. 30-45mins. The potatoes should be just starting to break up.
Check for seasoning and add salt/pepper to taste.
Serve in a soup bowl with generously buttered crusty bread (for "dunking").

[Image: 20103591336718-613821-593985-740356.jpg]

*I like Stovies when they still have a lot of stock left in them, almost like a clear soup with big chunks in it... but many recipes either add less stock, or cook them until most of the stock is absorbed and the stovies turn into a dry gloop (I don't advise that personally! LOL).

Other common additions to the Stovies are Carrots, Swede (which is a large Swedish turnip or "rutabaga"), leftover Roast Potatoes (Deelish!!!!) and other leftover veg from the previous nights dinner.

As I said - There are very many different variations on Stovies, as the recipe was ALL about using (and not wasting) leftovers originally.
Experiment! and Enjoy.

G

RE: STOVIES - A Scottish "delicacy"? - Rodinus - 01-10-2023

Thank you.... thank you and thank you....

I am wearing my water wings and swimming in a big puddle of dribble whilst writing this.. 

Hugs

Rodinus

RE: STOVIES - A Scottish "delicacy"? - EndtheMadnessNow - 01-10-2023

Huh, never heard of that dish. Sounds & looks very good!