Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
The Origin of Spooky Halloween Monsters - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Daily Chit Chat (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Thread: The Origin of Spooky Halloween Monsters (/showthread.php?tid=2432)

The Origin of Spooky Halloween Monsters - Michigan Swamp Buck - 10-21-2024

I have a question for the Rogues during this spooky Halloween season, "Where do the classic horror story monsters like vampires, werewolves, and Frankenstein's monster, et al, come from?"

What is the basis of the classic old haunted house or castle, one that is usually in ruins, that is inhabited by some old eccentric aristocrat from some European family bloodline? Or some mad scientist, that one is pretty classic. I am speaking of Gothic Horror of course, as opposed to slasher or other types of stories.

Just fishing around for opinions on this subject, one I have of my own.

Let's hear what you got Rogues, Inquiring minds want to know.

RE: The Origin of Spooky Halloween Monsters - MrJesterium - 10-22-2024

(Yesterday, 10:57 PM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: I have a question for the Rogues during this spooky Halloween season, "Where do the classic horror story monsters like vampires, werewolves, and Frankenstein's monster, et al, come from?"

What is the basis of the classic old haunted house or castle, one that is usually in ruins, that is inhabited by some old eccentric aristocrat from some European family bloodline? Or some mad scientist, that one is pretty classic. I am speaking of Gothic Horror of course, as opposed to slasher or other types of stories.

Concerning vampires, I believe most modern embellishments originated with Bram Stoker, except impaling their hearts was actually a thing! "The Russians say that, when driving a stake into the body of a vampire, this must be done by one single blow, as a second blow will reanimate the corpse." If you wanted to get to the heart of the matter, it'd be best to study Slavic folklore, in which vampires merely became inanimate when exposed to sunlight and also hearing a cockerel.

Interesting facts:

"If the horse refused to pass over any grave, even in spite of repeated blows, that grave was believed to shelter a vampire."

"Horses will also often betray great uneasiness in passing over places where a body has been buried."

"No dog or cat must be allowed to leap over the corpse or enter the room."

"In some places the jumping of a boy over the corpse is considered as fatal as that of a cat."

As a rare phenomenon, Dr. Z. J. Pierart makes a strong case for their actual existence. They were prevalent in eastern Europe, which had favorable conditions for their return from the grave, they were somehow able to roam around outside their body after dying, until their corpse was exhumed and burnt. The only reliable way to stop them from appearing is to burn the corpse.

Vampires were also related to suicide cases. "In Scotland it is still thought that the body of a suicide will not fall to dust until the time when he should have died in the order of nature." Recently, I was reading up on the sayings of the Romanov healer Philippe Nizier, he claimed, "Les suicidés souffrent le temps qu’aurait duré leur vie normale." (Suicide victims suffer for as long as their normal lives would have lasted.)

RE: The Origin of Spooky Halloween Monsters - Michigan Swamp Buck - 10-22-2024

(11 hours ago)MrJesterium Wrote:
(Yesterday, 10:57 PM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: I have a question for the Rogues during this spooky Halloween season, "Where do the classic horror story monsters like vampires, werewolves, and Frankenstein's monster, et al, come from?"

Concerning vampires, I believe most modern embellishments originated with Bram Stoker, except impaling their hearts was actually a thing! "The Russians say that, when driving a stake into the body of a vampire, this must be done by one single blow, as a second blow will reanimate the corpse." If you wanted to get to the heart of the matter, it'd be best to study Slavic folklore, in which vampires merely became inanimate when exposed to sunlight and also hearing a cockerel.

Interesting facts:

"If the horse refused to pass over any grave, even in spite of repeated blows, that grave was believed to shelter a vampire."

"Horses will also often betray great uneasiness in passing over places where a body has been buried."

"In some places the jumping of a boy over the corpse is considered as fatal as that of a cat."

As a rare phenomenon, Dr. Z. J. Pierart makes a strong case for their actual existence. They were prevalent in eastern Europe, which had favorable conditions for their return from the grave, they were somehow able to roam around outside their body after dying, until their corpse was exhumed and burnt. The only reliable way to stop them from appearing is to burn the corpse.

Vampires were also related to suicide cases. "In Scotland it is still thought that the body of a suicide will not fall to dust until the time when he should have died in the order of nature." Recently, I was reading up on the sayings of the Romanov healer Philippe Nizier, he claimed, "Les suicidés souffrent le temps qu’aurait duré leur vie normale." (Suicide victims suffer for as long as their normal lives would have lasted.)

The classic vampire from Eastern Europe, Bram Stoker's Dracula. A living dead count that died some three hundred years previously and now survives as the undead by feeding on the blood of innocent victims. He resides in a run-down castle and sleeps in a coffin during the daylight. This story, a major classic, is getting close to what I have been thinking about in regards to where these horror stories actually come from.

These things originate from old legends and tales obviously, but where did those stories come from and what motivated their creation? There is a major connection to all these stories and I'm curious if anyone here will come to the same conclusions I have.

Let me mention Frankenstein's monster. Set in the early 1800s, a mad scientist reanimates a human corpse that goes on the nut and can't be stopped. How does this relate to Dracula, the Wolfman, and the rest of these characters? An older legend of course (The Golem of Prague) and we have the added theme of a man of science using his knowledge to act out against God and nature. Where and when have we heard this type of story before? All these Gothic Horror stories are related and I'm hoping to not have to lead anyone to my conclusion, but allow them to come to the same naturally. What I'm thinking is not that far out there, it's pretty obvious actually. This paragraph is a huge clue about where I'm headed with this.

RE: The Origin of Spooky Halloween Monsters - FlickerOfLight - 10-22-2024

The basis for Bram Strokers Dracula came from Vladimir "the implarer, and where the majority of that lore comes from. 
There are also some take aways from people who actually do drink blood. 

I once watched a documentary, that I can't quite remember which once, or exactly what area they were talking about, but tge documentary was about exactly the question from the OP. This documentary stated that back before people really knew about medical science, we'll say maybe back in the 1500's, and these people had to move a grave site. They had to dig bodies up, and move them. As they were moving bodies, and looking in coffins, they saw how the body decomposes. Gasses emitting, bodies sitting up, or making God awful shrieks from the escaping gasses while the bodies are being moved; as well as the grotesque appearance. All of this freaked these people so bad, that they had nightmares/terrors from the site of these bodies. Our zombie lore traces bak to this. 

All throughout history there have been all kinds of burial rituals, concerning the dead coming back to life, or the passage into the next real/life/heaven etc. They dig up bodies with chain's wrapped around necks, or cinder blocks piled up on top of bodies, to keep these people from returning from the dead.

There were many rituals like this for burying witches. So that they wouldn't "return."

Tales of monsters and things that go bump in the night are a part of every culture across history. 

The native Americans had a lot of neat and spooky tales of demons evil spirits and crypto monsters.

Hollywood has cashed in on a lot of this, and is why things have evolved into what we know of today.

But, scary, spooky, ghosts goblins, monsters and all tha is supernatural is as old as time itself.

Have a Happy Halloween Rogue-Nation.

RE: The Origin of Spooky Halloween Monsters - Michigan Swamp Buck - 10-22-2024

Very close Flicker, very close. You're circling the target now. No need to go so far back to the primordial though.

RE: The Origin of Spooky Halloween Monsters - FlickerOfLight - 10-22-2024

Lol
I believe Frankenstein was all from Mary Shelly's imagination, and from her book.

As far as Werewolves go:
The earliest surviving example of man-to-wolf transformation is found in The Epic of Gilgamesh from around 2,100 BC.
lycanthropy: the ability to shift into a wolf. (apparently this was a thing long ago. )
The persecution of werewolves and the associated folklore is an integral part of the "witch-hunt" phenomenon, albeit a marginal one, accusations of lycanthropy being involved in only a small fraction of witchcraft trials.[e] During the early period, accusations of lycanthropy (transformation into a wolf) were mixed with accusations of wolf-riding or wolf-charming. The case of Peter Stumpp (1589) led to a significant peak in both interest in and persecution of supposed werewolves, primarily in French-speaking and German-speaking Europe. The phenomenon persisted longest in Bavaria and Austria, with persecution of wolf-charmers recorded until well after 1650, the final cases taking place in the early 18th century in Carinthia and Styria

All the stories are pretty old. Frankenstein being one of the newest monsters when it comes to the ones mentioned. Also one of the greatest classic horror films of all time. Imo

(7 hours ago)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote:
(11 hours ago)MrJesterium Wrote:

Interesting facts:

The classic vampire from Eastern Europe, Bram Stoker's Dracula. A living dead count that died some three hundred years previously and now survives as the undead by feeding on the blood of innocent victims. He resides in a run-down castle and sleeps in a coffin during the daylight. This story, a major classic, is getting close to what I have been thinking about in regards to where these horror stories actually come from.

These things originate from old legends and tales obviously, but where did those stories come from and what motivated their creation? There is a major connection to all these stories and I'm curious if anyone here will come to the same conclusions I have.

Let me mention Frankenstein's monster. Set in the early 1800s, a mad scientist reanimates a human corpse that goes on the nut and can't be stopped. How does this relate to Dracula, the Wolfman, and the rest of these characters? An older legend of course (The Golem of Prague) and we have the added theme of a man of science using his knowledge to act out against God and nature. Where and when have we heard this type of story before? All these Gothic Horror stories are related and I'm hoping to not have to lead anyone to my conclusion, but allow them to come to the same naturally. What I'm thinking is not that far out there, it's pretty obvious actually. This paragraph is a huge clue about where I'm headed with this.

Interesting...

Illuminati¿