Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Bruh - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Humor, Jokes & Pranks (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=98)
+--- Thread: Bruh (/showthread.php?tid=2348)

Bruh - FlickerOfLight - 09-12-2024

This is for my dad. 

I've been spending a lot of time with my son, his girlfriend, and all thier friends. I've also been living with my two nieces, and a friend of theirs, plus their friends come over. Needless to say, I've been surrounded by a bunch of young adults in their early twenties (21-25). Well, there's this word I have heard, over, and over, and over, and over again...

"Bruh"

(Lol)

I caught myself laughing my ass off, to myself because I wanted to tell them the other day, "Quit saying, bruh."

Because I realized something. 

When I was young, and me and my buddies would be hanging out, and back then we called each other, "dude."

My dad would get so sick of this word that he'd belt out, "quit saying, dude." 

This was a constant. I heard it so much growing up. We'd always say, (under our breaths, of course) "Whatever, old man."

Now, I'm the old man.... Laughing Huh Laughing

Hey, you young whipper snappers, quit saying, bruh! And stay off my damn lawn!.""

I got a kick out of this thought. For a moment there, I was my old man.

Love ya, dad. I get it now haha R.I.P.

RE: Bruh - EndtheMadnessNow - 09-13-2024

When I lived in Hawaii I picked up the word "brah" and became part of my daily vocabulary. When I moved back to the mainland and made new friends they asked why do you always call me brah, dude. LOL! Over time I got several of them saying it and eventually it became normal in our little circle. Girlfriends & wives didn't care for it.

Over time it eventually faded out of my brah, bro, bruh, dude speak.

Brah is a shortened form of the Hawaiian pidgin language "braddah" which means brother, cousin or good male friend.

"Get off the internet and get a life brah."

RE: Bruh - FlickerOfLight - 09-13-2024

(09-13-2024, 12:23 AM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: When I lived in Hawaii I picked up the word "brah" and became part of my daily vocabulary. When I moved back to the mainland and made new friends they asked why do you always call me brah, dude. LOL! Over time I got several of them saying it and eventually it became normal in our little circle. Girlfriends & wives didn't care for it.

Brah is a shortened form of the Hawaiian pidgin language "braddah" which means brother, cousin or good male friend.

I've always wanted to visit Hawaii. Not sure it's the same place as it used to be though. Not with all the tourism takeover.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite Hawaiin words. 

"Kook"

As in, "the locals will beat the **** out of any kook who drops in on their wave."

"Haole" is another good one. "One who doesn't belong."

RE: Bruh - Schmoe - 09-13-2024

I'm a fellow hater of the word "bruh." I also have no problem with people saying "dude" or "man." I get slightly pissed when I hear a "bro" but not as pissed as when I hear "bruh"

(09-13-2024, 03:19 AM)Schmoe Wrote: I'm a fellow hater of the word "bruh." I also have no problem with people saying "dude" or "man." I get slightly pissed when I hear a "bro" but not as pissed as when I hear "bruh"

We'll even still call each other "homie" from time to time. 

That one will really piss people off, if they're not used to it. It was just another term of endearment in our wheel house of slang.

I chuckle when they say it. It sounds funny to me. 

But, its never ending when they all get together. 

I'm betting we were the same at that age. I had a "damn, I'm getting old" moment about it while listening to my son and a few of my friends. 

They call each other "my boy" a lot too. It's a trip how the popular slang has changed throughout my life.

(09-13-2024, 03:09 AM)FlickerOfLight Wrote:
(09-13-2024, 12:23 AM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: When I lived in Hawaii I picked up the word "brah" and became part of my daily vocabulary. When I moved back to the mainland and made new friends they asked why do you always call me brah, dude. LOL! Over time I got several of them saying it and eventually it became normal in our little circle. Girlfriends & wives didn't care for it.

I've always wanted to visit Hawaii. Not sure it's the same place as it used to be though. Not with all the tourism takeover.

"Kook"

As in, "the locals will beat the **** out of any kook who drops in on their wave."

Back in the 90s it was the wealthy Japs taking over the islands. Buying up real estate. I didn't care as owning a home was out of the question anyhow, plus my wife made BIG tips off the Japs. She raked in on average $1500 per week. Of course I did her taxes. She was a bartender at a few of the night clubs including a gay bar. I did NOT approve of that certain bar, but the money was too good. The Navy paid for our apartment, plus food & utility bills, medical of course. We charted private jets to the other islands, snorkeling, scuba diving, swam with dolphins, feasted on Hawaiian luau's and dined at fancy restaurants. Life was really damn good! Wish I had a time machine.

Oh yea, "Haole" - I was called that more times than I can count every time I went to the west side of Oahu. After awhile I blended in with them as I have dark hair and tan dark. My best friend was a tattoo'd Colombian who was even darker. Hangin out with him confused all the white tourists. LOL. For a short while we were both judges at the Waikiki bikini contest held every Sunday at a hotel beach bar. Wife did not know until she caught me one Sunday afternoon and that was the end of my free beer. Oh well.

Them were fun drunken times. Pass out on the beach and nobody would bother you nor steal your sandals. That was back in the 90s. No idea what that island is like nowadays.

RE: Bruh - Schmoe - 09-13-2024

(09-13-2024, 03:48 AM)FlickerOfLight Wrote:
(09-13-2024, 03:19 AM)Schmoe Wrote: I'm a fellow hater of the word "bruh." I also have no problem with people saying "dude" or "man." I get slightly pissed when I hear a "bro" but not as pissed as when I hear "bruh"

That one will really piss people off, if they're not used to it. It was just another term of endearment in our wheel house of slang.

I'm betting we were the same at that age. I had a "damn, I'm getting old" moment about it while listening to my son and a few of my friends. 

They call each other "my boy" a lot too. It's a trip how the popular slang has changed throughout my life.

Oh yeah, my kids make me feel old all the time, especially since my oldest turned 10.  We always tell her she's 10, going on 40.

My wife hates "bruh" too.  My 10 year old called her bruh once, not in a serious way, but my wife shut that shit down immediately  Laughing

For me, I just hate how "bruh" sounds.  Like some sort of oral fart.  I'm sure I sounded like an idiot too when I was younger, and every sentence began with "dude"

(09-13-2024, 06:51 PM)Schmoe Wrote:

Oh yeah, my kids make me feel old all the time, especially since my oldest turned 10.  We always tell her she's 10, going on 40.

My wife hates "bruh" too.  My 10 year old called her bruh once, not in a serious way, but my wife shut that shit down immediately  Laughing

For me, I just hate how "bruh" sounds.  Like some sort of oral fart.  I'm sure I sounded like an idiot too when I was younger, and every sentence began with "dude"

No doubt.  Laughing 

Like you said, at least dude was an entire word not just a noise. The next generation will be full on idiocracy speech. Nothing but mouth farts.

A new bugaboo of mine is how everything they really don't like is "trash."

That one gets me.

(09-13-2024, 05:17 AM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote:

"Kook"

Back in the 90s it was the wealthy Japs taking over the islands. Buying up real estate. I didn't care as owning a home was out of the question anyhow, plus my wife made BIG tips off the Japs. She raked in on average $1500 per week. Of course I did her taxes. She was a bartender at a few of the night clubs including a gay bar. I did NOT approve of that certain bar, but the money was too good. The Navy paid for our apartment, plus food & utility bills, medical of course. We charted private jets to the other islands, snorkeling, scuba diving, swam with dolphins, feasted on Hawaiian luau's and dined at fancy restaurants. Life was really damn good! Wish I had a time machine.

Oh yea, "Haole" - I was called that more times than I can count every time I went to the west side of Oahu. After awhile I blended in with them as I have dark hair and tan dark. My best friend was a tattoo'd Colombian who was even darker. Hangin out with him confused all the white tourists. LOL. For a short while we were both judges at the Waikiki bikini contest held every Sunday at a hotel beach bar. Wife did not know until she caught me one Sunday afternoon and that was the end of my free beer. Oh well.

Them were fun drunken times. Pass out on the beach and nobody would bother you nor steal your sandals. That was back in the 90s. No idea what that island is like nowadays.

Sounds like great memories of Hawaii. 

I remember you telling me about taking on the North Shore like you were a veteran (at least i think it was you.  They would of referred to that as a "Kook slam."

I really dig a lot of their words, and customs. 

How they greet one another, for example. Forehead to Forehead in an embrace. To connect with one anothers spirits and to feel their energies. 

They think shaking hands to show you're not armed is barbaric Houle garbage. That's why they call the white man "Haole." It also means soulless. 

It's very demeaning, but I get their view.

(09-13-2024, 06:56 PM)FlickerOfLight Wrote:

No doubt.  Laughing 

Like you said, at least dude was an entire  word not just a noise. The next generation will be full on idiocracy speech. Nothing but mouth farts.

That one gets me.

"Kook"

Sounds like great memories of the Hawaii. 

I remember you telling me about taking on the North Shore like you were a veteran (at least i think it was you.  They would of referred to that as a "Kook slam."

Great memories indeed but not surfing big waves. I was the novice surfer on North Shore saved by a veteran surfer girl. Surprised

(09-13-2024, 07:27 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote:
(09-13-2024, 06:56 PM)FlickerOfLight Wrote:

No doubt.  Laughing 

Like you said, at least dude was an entire  word not just a noise. The next generation will be full on idiocracy speech. Nothing but mouth farts.

That one gets me.

"Kook"

Sounds like great memories of the Hawaii. 

Great memories indeed but not surfing big waves. I was the novice surfer on North Shore saved by a veteran surfer girl. Surprised

Yep, that's the one. "Kook slammed." Saved by a "betty."

I've taken my share of slams and have eaten tons of ocean floor. No worries.  Cool