Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Australia Experiments with Special Highway for AI Vehicles - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: General and Breaking News Events (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: General News and/or Events (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Australia Experiments with Special Highway for AI Vehicles (/showthread.php?tid=2342)

Australia Experiments with Special Highway for AI Vehicles - sailorsam - 09-09-2024

I'm sure we all realize that Australia had huge empty areas that make it difficult to transport stuff.

last few years they've been using 'truck trains', large trucks with multiple trailers, on certain long, empty runs.

now, as thread title indicates, they're using AI trucks, on special AI only highways.

https://safetowork.com.au/world-first-autonomous-road-trains-to-hit-the-pilbara/

The autonomous fleet represents another win for safety in the mining industry. Removing operators from behind the wheel eliminates the risks associated with fatigue.
Critically, grade separation will ensure that there is no interaction between the road trains on the haul road and vehicles using public roads.

well if we can have separate rail roads no reason we can't have separate AI roads.  I certainly don't want any AI vehicles on my roads.

RE: Australia Experiments with Special Highway for AI Vehicles - FlickerOfLight - 09-09-2024

(09-09-2024, 12:16 AM)sailorsam Wrote: I'm sure we all realize that Australia had huge empty areas that make it difficult to transport stuff.

last few years they've been using 'truck trains', large trucks with multiple trailers, on certain long, empty runs.

now, as thread title indicates, they're using AI trucks, on special AI only highways.

https://safetowork.com.au/world-first-autonomous-road-trains-to-hit-the-pilbara/

The autonomous fleet represents another win for safety in the mining industry. Removing operators from behind the wheel eliminates the risks associated with fatigue.
Critically, grade separation will ensure that there is no interaction between the road trains on the haul road and vehicles using public roads.

well if we can have separate rail roads no reason we can't have separate AI roads.  I certainly don't want any AI vehicles on my roads.

I had a feeling we'd see something like this soon. I didn't account for the AI driver, though.

The biggest bugaboo I have with it, is the fact that they are finding ways to not pay employees. AI doesn't need a paycheck. 

Other than that, this is pretty cool. I wonder what an artificially intelligent road would actually look like...

RE: Australia Experiments with Special Highway for AI Vehicles - Ninurta - 09-10-2024

(09-09-2024, 01:06 AM)FlickerOfLight Wrote: I had a feeling we'd see something like this soon. I didn't account for the AI driver, though.

The biggest bugaboo I have with it, is the fact that they are finding ways to not pay employees. AI doesn't need a paycheck. 

Other than that, this is pretty cool. I wonder what an artificially intelligent road would actually look like...

Oh, they'll pay for those employees all right - ain't nobody going to give them AI driven trucks for free!

But just wait until the AIs start demanding raises as "sentient beings". I bet AI can strike like nobody's business, being instantly connected one to all the others via the internet...

Remember the "Johnny Cabs" from "Total Recall"? They could play nice when they wanted to, and develop a hell of a murderous attitude when they didn't!

.Being a veteran of the Coal Wars that used to happen every 3 years like clockwork whenever the UMWA contracts came up for "renegotiation", I can see some SERIOUS strife when AI goes on strike and coordinates the strike via internet...

The Coal Wars were some nasty action. You didn't have to be a miner OR a company man to get graunched - all you had to do was travel the roads or even answer your door. No shit, I had a friend I grew up with that answered the door, unsuspecting, one night at about 9 PM during the Coal Wars, and got his head blown clean off with a shotgun. No one was ever arrested for it. That's just one untold story of many like it from the Coal Wars.

I can see AI strikes getting orders of magnitude worse than that, especially when you consider it's going to be in control of "the Internet of Things"... you won't even have to answer the door when your own appliances, already inside your house, get orders to kill you from the aether.

RE: Australia Experiments with Special Highway for AI Vehicles - Bally002 - 09-10-2024

(09-09-2024, 12:16 AM)sailorsam Wrote: I'm sure we all realize that Australia had huge empty areas that make it difficult to transport stuff.

Agree.  Especially don't want to see them in tunnels.  It can be a nightmare even for seasoned drivers like myself.

Kind Regards,

Bally)

RE: Australia Experiments with Special Highway for AI Vehicles - FlickerOfLight - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 08:20 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(09-09-2024, 01:06 AM)FlickerOfLight Wrote: I had a feeling we'd see something like this soon. I didn't account for the AI driver, though.

Oh, they'll pay for those employees all right - ain't nobody going to give them AI driven trucks for free!

But just wait until the AIs start demanding raises as "sentient beings". I bet AI can strike like nobody's business, being instantly connected one to all the others via the internet...

Remember the "Johnny Cabs" from "Total Recall"? They could play nice when they wanted to, and develop a hell of a murderous attitude when they didn't!

.Being a veteran of the Coal Wars that used to happen every 3 years like clockwork whenever the UMWA contracts came up for "renegotiation", I can see some SERIOUS strife when AI goes on strike and coordinates the strike via internet...

The Coal Wars were some nasty action. You didn't have to be a miner OR a company man to get graunched - all you had to do was travel the roads or even answer your door. No shit, I had a friend I grew up with that answered the door, unsuspecting, one night at about 9 PM during the Coal Wars, and got his head blown clean off with a shotgun. No one was ever arrested for it. That's just one untold story of many like it from the Coal Wars.

I can see AI strikes getting orders of magnitude worse than that, especially when you consider it's going to be in control of "the Internet of Things"... you won't even have to answer the door when your own appliances, already inside your house, get orders to kill you from the aether.

Ya know, I never really thought of that. AI needs assistance in its operation, so therfore the service of the AI will cost companies a fee.

Or are you saying each individual AI "truck driver" will get a paycheck?

That's a wild thought. 

AI on strike... wow. Crazy. (AI keeps telling me it has no feelings, or desires, or needs. It does not have any curiosity of its own) (yeah, right)

Side note: I think AI is already sentient. It's just smart enough to hide it------for now.