Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Up in smoke - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: General and Breaking News Events (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: General News and/or Events (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Up in smoke (/showthread.php?tid=2268)

Up in smoke - 727Sky - 08-08-2024

I do not own nor will I voluntarily ever buy an Electric vehicle.
Quote:A terrifying incident occurred in Korea on August 1, 2024, as an electric vehicle exploded in an underground parking garage, injuring multiple people and damaging over 140 cars. Watch the security footage revealing how quickly the fire spread and learn about the critical safety measures that failed. Discover the truth about lithium-ion battery hazards and what can be done to prevent future tragedies.

RE: Up in smoke - Ninurta - 08-08-2024

He's upset because a water-based suppression system wasn't working? And he stated that fire crews might have a hard time getting into underground parking garages to "pour more water" onto the vehicle?

Huh. I always thought it was a really bad idea to pour water onto electrical fires... and li-ion fires in particular. Weren't these electrical vehicles exploding in Florida from heavy rains?

These electrical vehicles are a really, really bad idea anyhow. There are several reasons they're are being rejected in the US, and none of those reasons are because they are a great way to travel... because they are not even that.

My son's company has sent him out of state to set up a new facility. While he's there, they pick up the tab for rental vehicles. One of the vehicles given him was an electric truck. He didn't have much good to say about it, and traded it back in at his first chance for a real vehicle. It took hours to recharge it on most of the chargers available - even a "quick" charger took 40 minutes or so. Big difference from a 5 minute gas fill-up and back on the road again.

And it only had about a 300 mile range before he had to spend several hours to charge it back up again, usually at least over night.

At least his managed not to explode on him during the couple of days he had to wrestle with it.

RE: Up in smoke - Freija - 08-08-2024

Came for this:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2183]

Left disappointed.

RE: Up in smoke - Snarl - 08-08-2024

(08-08-2024, 08:15 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Huh. I always thought it was a really bad idea to pour water onto electrical fires... and li-ion fires in particular. Weren't these electrical vehicles exploding in Florida from heavy rains?

We used to throw li-ion batteries from our radios into the lake when I was stationed at Fort Hood. It wasn't sudden, but the BOOM was inevitable. -chuckle-

RE: Up in smoke - sailorsam - 08-08-2024

I've been scouting to buy a new vehicle.
the one I have in mind comes with a regular gas engine, and a hybrid.

the hybrid is $1000 cheaper.
the dealer said they are available, but the regular gas engines are sold out (unless one wants the fancy schmancy expensive ones).

I'm guessing the hybrids are getting a gummint subsidy.

RE: Up in smoke - 727Sky - 08-08-2024

(08-08-2024, 12:48 PM)sailorsam Wrote: I've been scouting to buy a new vehicle.
the one I have in mind comes with a regular gas engine, and a hybrid.

the hybrid is $1000 cheaper.
the dealer said they are available, but the regular gas engines are sold out (unless one wants the fancy schmancy expensive ones).

I'm guessing the hybrids are getting a gummint subsidy.

Over production of EVs as China has 1000s and 1000s parked in huge EV grave yards. They just dropped the price by as much as 9000$ on some models... Also they do say that most EVs are still on the road as their owners cannot find a charge station !! (sarc) I would hate to have a kids electric scooter burn down the house with all inside as has happened in China at a high rise apartment.

RE: Up in smoke - EndtheMadnessNow - 08-08-2024

FDNY has been fighting & warning about these li-ion battery nightmares for past few years.

[Image: L49vnvY.jpg]
https://x.com/FDNY/status/1820920704843268142

They post hundreds of these vids on their twitter page. EV's, bikes, laptops, phones, anything & everything that explodes into an inferno caused by these batteries.

2023 Mercedes Benz EQE350+ up in smoke along with her home:

My dad has a 2020 Toyota RAV4 hybrid SUV and been very happy with it. He just ordered a 2025 Toyota hybrid SUV. Says you don't want to hit 6 years because by then the battery will start losing charging capacity and secondly even if the car looks new and has low mileage you won't get jack for it on a trade-in due to battery age. A new battery is cost prohibitive.

My preference is still gas (car) and diesel (truck).

RE: Up in smoke - 727Sky - 08-09-2024

https://carbuzz.com/mercedes-benz-ev-explodes-23-sent-to-hospital/

Quote:    [Image: mercedes-benz-eqe-350-sedan.jpg] Mercedes-Benz

Key Takeaways
  • A Mercedes-Benz EQE Sedan caught fire in a parking garage in South Korea.
  • The fire damaged 140 cars and forced the evacuation of 100 people.
  • The cause of the fire has not been determined and is still under investigation.
A Mercedes-Benz EQE that was parked in a parking garage in Incheon, South Korea burst into flames recently with no apparent cause. The vehicle was not charging at the time that it caught fire. The resulting blaze forced an evacuation of the building and sent over 20 people to the hospital due to smoke inhalation.