Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
I Read 1984 In 1964 - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Controversy and Debate (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: I Read 1984 In 1964 (/showthread.php?tid=2222)

I Read 1984 In 1964 - NightskyeB4Dawn - 07-19-2024

I became an avid reader in my teens. It was my only means for mental escape, because TV was not a thing back then in my community.

I had just entered into my teens when I read 1984. It stuck with me like white on rice.

Amazingly, it opened my eyes and made me realize how powerful words are, and how they could be weaponized.

When I was a teen I did not think I would not see 1984.  Never did I ever think I would live it.

RE: I Read 1984 In 1962 - EndtheMadnessNow - 07-21-2024

I first read it in 1984. I don't think I fully understood it at the time, but afterward I laughed and thought good story, but that will never happen in America. Impossible! And here we are. A few weeks ago my mom read it for the first time as part of her ladies only book club. They are into historical fiction genre. She was shocked and horrified and now can't stop talking about it. It was then I decided that other related books titles I've read I will not mention to her.

RE: I Read 1984 In 1962 - NightskyeB4Dawn - 07-21-2024

(07-21-2024, 04:24 AM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: I first read it in 1984. I don't think I fully understood it at the time, but afterward I laughed and thought good story, but that will never happen in America. Impossible! And here we are. A few weeks ago my mom read it for the first time as part of her ladies only book club. They are into historical fiction genre. She was shocked and horrified and now can't stop talking about it. It was then I decided that other related books titles I've read I will not mention to her.

I read it in 1964. I was very mature for my age.

Growing up in the country and doing chores, including cooking, and walking my siblings to and from the school bus, helped me be responsible and made me grow up fast.

My Dad was obsessed with us children getting a good education. He was a big rig driver and he wanted more for his children. Mother was a nurse, and you never saw her without a book. That may be what infected her children, and made most of children serious readers.

The majority of us did pretty darn good, and my Dad would have been proud if he had lived past 40. He didn't, but I think he was still proud.

The crazy thing about 1984 was that I did really look at as fiction. I could see the probability of it happening, I just could not see myself living it.

I was nicknamed Underdog, because I despised people being bullied or being taken advantage of. Probably because I was the oldest of ten children, so I grew up with a strong momma bear gene implanted in me.

Some thought I was rebellious and strong willed. I did not think I would make it a day in a 1984 world. I just could not see myself living it.

I still don't think I will make it.

RE: I Read 1984 In 1962 - OmegaLogos - 07-21-2024

(07-21-2024, 01:06 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(07-21-2024, 04:24 AM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: I first read it in 1984. I don't think I fully understood it at the time, but afterward I laughed and thought good story, but that will never happen in America. Impossible! And here we are. A few weeks ago my mom read it for the first time as part of her ladies only book club. They are into historical fiction genre. She was shocked and horrified and now can't stop talking about it. It was then I decided that other related books titles I've read I will not mention to her.

Growing up in the country and doing chores,  including cooking, and walking my siblings to and from the school bus, helped me be responsible and made me grow up fast.

My Dad was obsessed with us children getting a good education. He was a big rig driver and he wanted more for his children. Mother was a nurse, and you never saw her without a book. That may be what infected her children, and made most of children serious readers.

The majority of us did pretty darn good, and my Dad would have been proud if he had lived past 40. He didn't, but I think he was still proud.

The crazy thing about 1984 was that I did really look at as fiction. I could see the probability of it happening, I just could not see myself living it.

I was nicknamed Underdog, because I despised people being bullied or being taken advantage of. Probably because I was the oldest of ten children, so I grew up with a strong momma bear gene implanted in me.

Some thought I was rebellious and strong willed. I did not think I would make it a day in a 1984 world. I just could not see myself living it.

Explanation: I am a noble demon ... my side lost the war with God!

I KNOW full well the world is fallen and satanic at best and 1984 hell at worst!

Personal Disclosure: And I also know you are a good egg NB4D ... 

I shall witness FOR YOU, before God themselves, on judgement day!  Love it In love

May God bless you and all that you do and may they guide you in all your actions!

RE: I Read 1984 In 1962 - NightskyeB4Dawn - 07-21-2024

(07-21-2024, 01:37 PM)OmegaLogos Wrote:
(07-21-2024, 01:06 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

Growing up in the country and doing chores,  including cooking, and walking my siblings to and from the school bus, helped me be responsible and made me grow up fast.

Explanation: I am a noble demon ... my side lost the war with God!

I KNOW full well the world is fallen and satanic at best and 1984 hell at worst!

I agree that our world is falling and that Satan is having his time in the spotlight.

I don't hold popular beliefs, about what I see, and believe to be experiencing.

I believe that much of what is considered prophecy is not just the script for what will happen. I think it was foretold for us to prepare for the inevitable. Not to throw in the towel, and give up.

I know no more than anyone else, and could be as wrong as two left shoes, but I plan to have some spare oil for my lamps, a little put aside for family and friends.

Better prepared than sorry.

RE: I Read 1984 In 1964 - NightskyeB4Dawn - 07-22-2024

I have been around for a while. I have seen some of these changes take place over the years.

I think we should take a closer look at what they are saying in this discussion. It sounds a lot like the script for a slip back in time.

RE: I Read 1984 In 1964 - NightskyeB4Dawn - 07-23-2024

Forgive me if this is a duplicate. I think I shared it before, but I can't find it, so I am putting here.

I found it interesting because it speaks of how they will usher in the New World Order and the real world written about in 1984. I found it plausible. Something is coming. I want to be prepared so I listen to separate the wheat from the chaff.

RE: I Read 1984 In 1964 - MrJesterium - 07-23-2024

Isaac Asimov pointed out that Orwell's 1984 wasn't really a complete critique of totalitarianism, but 1984 actually reflects his personal bias against Stalin:
https://www.newworker.org/ncptrory/1984.htm

"Other forms of totalitarianism play a small role. There are one or two mentions of the Nazis and of the Inquisition. At the very start, there is a reference or two to Jews..."

Anyhow, I doubt authors of dystopian novels were really trying to warn us. That genre was obviously conceived with a view of driving people into slavery, serves as a constant reminder that things can only get worse, and deprives people of their desperate escape from reality. The fantasy genre. which seems to occupy most people's attention, is no better, but at least it helps stimulate the artist's creative imagination.

Case in point for dystopian genre achieving the opposite desired effect:

Disney has been milking the Star Wars franchise, endlessly churning out trash, but Andor was praised as a cream in the crop and showrunners boasted that it was the most "realistic" show ever made in a special episode ("A Disney Day Special Look").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhgXXhcPQEM#t=10m22s
"It's stepping away from this huge feeling of destiny, fate, and mythos that runs through most of the canon."
Translated: It's throwing out the one thing that made Star Wars unique. And no wonder why the franchise went downhill.

A Russian user pointed out to me, "They turn into a brand, and from that time on they lose their identity, uniqueness and destiny. Characters and universes without destiny are usually of no interest to anyone. Their existence is not interesting to follow."

https://old.reddit.com/r/Own_Thyself/comments/gz5vzw/this_planet_this_solar_system_galaxy_and_universe/fwtzf65/
"Brand names, logos, famous quotes, etc. all served as touchstones for our remembered reality as they no longer matched a lifetime of experience."

Napoleon reportedly told Goethe, “Why, today, do they keep giving us destiny? There's no destiny, only politics.” Surely Napoleon would've approved of 1984. Like Hitler, these modern showrunners and writers believe art and politics are inseparable. Hitler was influenced by Schopenhauer and Wagner, both of whom believed art should reflect reality. Then they did not fully know what Art was.

Instead of 1984, I'd recommend Asimov's Foundation, which revolves around Harri Sheldon and emphasizes his ideas. Here's one of my favorite quotes from the show:

"Would that happiness have made us complacent? You take the pain and the what-ifs, and you weave them into a narrative that propels you forward."

I was a fan of Isaac Asimov's work. I think I have read everything he has written, including "The Foundation".

I can't help but notice the patterns in how the system is playing us right now.

It is so in your face that even the blind can see. What I find most perplexing is the sheer numbers of people that are willfully allowing themselves to be weaponized against the very country that they claim the are willing to die for.

The campaign on both sides is disgusting. Nothing more than a three ring circus complete with the naked ladies, and opium tents.

Maybe before we start talking about making America great again, we should wash off some of the mud and feces, and make her at least look clean and respectable first.

RE: I Read 1984 In 1964 - EndtheMadnessNow - 07-23-2024

(07-23-2024, 01:06 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I was a fan of Isaac Asimov's work. I think I have read everything he has written, including "The Foundation".

It is so in your face that even the blind can see. What I find most perplexing is the sheer numbers of people that are willfully allowing themselves to be weaponized against the very country that they claim the are willing to die for.

The campaign on both sides is disgusting. Nothing more than a three ring circus complete with the naked ladies, and opium tents.

Maybe before we start talking about making America great again, we should wash off some of the mud and feces, and make her at least look clean and respectable first.

You must be a heck of a voracious reader!
Asimov wrote around 350 books plus edited around 150.

No matter, I get your point and I'm quite sure you've read far more than me.

I bolded part of your text above as I think that is spot on!

(07-23-2024, 08:48 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote:
(07-23-2024, 01:06 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I was a fan of Isaac Asimov's work. I think I have read everything he has written, including "The Foundation".

You must be a heck of a voracious reader!
Asimov wrote around 350 books plus edited around 150.

No matter, I get your point and I'm quite sure you've read far more than me.

I bolded part of your text above as I think that is spot on!

Yeah. I was what you could call a binge reader when I was young.

Friday was the day I looked most forward to. It was library day. All the people that worked in the library knew me on sight. Every Friday I would check out 6 to 7 books. I averaged 1 book a day.

Keep in mind that I lived in the woods and we didn't have television at the time. I had my hidden spot in the woods where I would sit and read for hours. It was rare not to see me reading a book.

When I was older, my favorite hang out spot was the Library of Congress. I loved hanging out there. Another place where I was well known.

Reading was my great escape. I don't read as many books today as I did back then. Today I spend more time listening. I am either plugged into the Cloud library, Audible, or YouTube audio books.

I love books.