Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Bird Flu Reported in Second Michigan Farmworker - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: World Health Matters (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=103)
+--- Forum: General Health Topics (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=105)
+--- Thread: Bird Flu Reported in Second Michigan Farmworker (/showthread.php?tid=2102)

Bird Flu Reported in Second Michigan Farmworker - Michigan Swamp Buck - 05-30-2024

Full title: Bird flu reported in second Michigan farmworker; third human case in U.S.

I felt this needed to get out there, just two cases, but out of three in the entire country. To my paranoid mind that sounds like the beginning of a cluster, that could become an epidemic and then a possible pandemic. It is carried by birds, bears, cattle, cats, dogs, etc., and humans now obviously.

Quote:Bird flu reported in second Michigan farmworker; third human case in U.S.

(CBS DETROIT) - A second case of H5 influenza, also known as bird flu or avian influenza, was detected in another Michigan farmworker, marking the second human case in Michigan, and the third in the country.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services says the new case was reported in a farmworker who worked closely with cows that tested positive for bird flu but was employed at a different farm than the worker did in the case they announced on May 22.

The risk to the general public is still low . . . according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

. . . The first case of bird flu in a human was detected in a Texas farmworker who was exposed to infected dairy cattle.

Bird flu was first detected in Michigan in dairy herds that arrived in Michigan from Texas, and have since been found in Clinton, Gratiot and Ionia counties.

Earlier this month, Michigan egg producer Herbuck's Poultry Ranch announced that it was laying off about 400 employees. The company said the virus impacted its hen population at some farms in Ionia County.

Link to Article

After looking at a map of Michigan counties I noticed that those three counties are right in the middle of the mitten, one next to the other. If I were to guess, Montcalm would be next to report a case.

RE: Bird Flu Reported in Second Michigan Farmworker - DuckforcoveR - 05-31-2024

I have been beating the DOOM drum on this for about a month now with my peers at work! All it takes is for this thing to learn to love mammals more, stop spreading deep in the lungs, and BAM! Terrifying. Surprised

RE: Bird Flu Reported in Second Michigan Farmworker - Michigan Swamp Buck - 06-01-2024

(05-31-2024, 03:27 PM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: I have been beating the DOOM drum on this for about a month now with my peers at work! All it takes is for this thing to learn to love mammals more, stop spreading deep in the lungs, and BAM! Terrifying. Surprised

I believe I'm understanding your response, but it seems rather cryptic. Perhaps another Michigan craft beer is in order, please excuse me while I pee.

RE: Bird Flu Reported in Second Michigan Farmworker - DuckforcoveR - 06-04-2024

We may, or may not be, on the same page. All good! 

I feel like Covid cried wolf. H1N1 coul be the societal reckoning...

Let's get a beer? Main or UP?

RE: Bird Flu Reported in Second Michigan Farmworker - Michigan Swamp Buck - 06-04-2024

I just heard another report on 9&10 News just yesterday . . .

Quote:Bird flu detected in Ottawa Co. dairy herd Site
Staff 06/03/2024 11:00 AM EDT

The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) announced the detection of bird flu in an additional dairy herd from Ottawa County.

Testing through the Michigan State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory initially detected this case. Samples have been sent to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) National Veterinary Services Laboratories for additional confirmatory testing.

LINK

That's just west of Kent County, southwest of those other reports. Over in the Grand Haven and Holland area.

(06-04-2024, 02:28 AM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: We may, or may not be, on the same page. All good! 

I feel like Covid cried wolf. H1N1 coul be the societal reckoning...

Let's get a beer? Main or UP?

An IPA from Bell's, Founder's or the Upper Hand Brewery would be my choice lately.

RE: Bird Flu Reported in Second Michigan Farmworker - DuckforcoveR - 06-08-2024

I have an employment connection (twice removed) from St. Croix Rods. Long story short, I'm in Park Falls WI 3 times a month on average. Quick trip to the border! (Or "Kwik" as these invaders like to say...  Laughing )