Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
What Do The Navy's Ship-Launched Missiles Actually Cost - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: General and Breaking News Events (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: War, Peace or Inbetween (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: What Do The Navy's Ship-Launched Missiles Actually Cost (/showthread.php?tid=2100)

What Do The Navy's Ship-Launched Missiles Actually Cost - 727Sky - 05-29-2024

When I see reports like this it does not make me proud nor does it make me sleep better at night. You could fund all kinds of black projects with the insane pricing of America's defense by the MIC that Ike warned us about. Million + dollar missiles to down a $3000 drone fired by a less than third world country. Boy howdy we showed them !! $80,000 dollar an hour operating cost for many of our aircraft not even counting the price of the hardware/aircraft to begin with kinda makes me sick at the waste I see.

Quote:Most of America’s warships set sail packed full of missiles. These include surface-to-air missiles to shoot down everything from drones to ballistic missiles, surface-to-surface missiles used to attack targets on land and sea, and even rocket-delivered torpedoes to defend against prowling submarines. These weapons can be depleted quickly during combat operations, as we have seen in and around the Red Sea recently. So, how much do each of those missiles really cost? We dug into the Pentagon’s budget documents to find out.

RE: What Do The Navy's Ship-Launched Missiles Actually Cost - 727Sky - 06-02-2024

1965 thru 1968 Vietnam 224 Aim 7 sparrow missiles were fired at Migs ($125,000 a pop 1960s dollars) with only 20 hits. Ask anyone who flew over North Vietnam about the great AIM 7 missiles they were given to protect themselves and engage the enemy with. That is one of the reasons future fighters were given gun pods or were equipped/manufactured with guns.

RE: What Do The Navy's Ship-Launched Missiles Actually Cost - FlickerOfLight - 06-02-2024

(05-29-2024, 12:38 PM)727Sky Wrote: When I see reports like this it does not make me proud nor does it make me sleep better at night. You could fund all kinds of black projects with the insane pricing of America's defense by the MIC that Ike warned us about. Million + dollar missiles to down a $3000 drone fired by a less than third world country. Boy howdy we showed them !! $80,000 dollar an hour operating cost for many of our aircraft not even counting the price of the hardware/aircraft to begin with kinda makes me sick at the waste I see.

Quote:Most of America’s warships set sail packed full of missiles. These include surface-to-air missiles to shoot down everything from drones to ballistic missiles, surface-to-surface missiles used to attack targets on land and sea, and even rocket-delivered torpedoes to defend against prowling submarines. These weapons can be depleted quickly during combat operations, as we have seen in and around the Red Sea recently. So, how much do each of those missiles really cost? We dug into the Pentagon’s budget documents to find out.

You should watch the movie "Warlord," if you haven't already.

RE: What Do The Navy's Ship-Launched Missiles Actually Cost - Bally002 - 06-02-2024

(06-02-2024, 10:13 AM)727Sky Wrote: 1965 thru 1968 Vietnam 224 Aim 7 sparrow missiles were fired at Migs ($125,000 a pop 1960s dollars) with only 20 hits. Ask anyone who flew over North Vietnam about the great AIM 7 missiles they were given to protect themselves and engage the enemy with. That is one of the reasons future fighters were given gun pods or were equipped/manufactured with guns.

I worked with AIM 7's and AIM 9's from 77 to 83.  Never used in anger.  There was also a version just utilised for training and remained on the wing for 'tone' features.  Ultimately with the sale of the Fleet Air Arm Hawks to NZ a few were fired off at starshells and/or parachute flares.  I was told they failed.  Any wonder.  They sat in the magazines land and sea for years (60's.) Deemed to expensive to play with.  The other armaments were Mk 32 Zuni rockets and smaller 2.75 inch attack pods.  2 x 20mm Colt cannons. 

Mostly armed all the time with inert rockets and '9lb practice bombs'.  We did have 500 pounders but were rarely used, even the inert ones.  Just for show. (To save cost I spose)  We had to paint the 20mm rounds with a sticky paint in various colors.  One color for each aircraft.  Red, Blue, Green etc so the pilots could shoots at towed 'white' targets and the targets were retrieved and the colored holes tallied up for the individuals score.   Interestingly the targets were mostly towed by private aircraft.  Lear Jets.  Go figure.  Did get a couple of rides.

Anyway thanks for the vid.  Educational. I expect costs will go up. 

Kind regards,

Bally)