Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Best way to stay hydrated(elderly mom is sick) - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: World Health Matters (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=103)
+--- Forum: General Health Topics (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=105)
+--- Thread: Best way to stay hydrated(elderly mom is sick) (/showthread.php?tid=2097)

Best way to stay hydrated(elderly mom is sick) - ancientlight - 05-29-2024

Hi all.

So my mom is 85 , and has been sick (possible stomach bug or food poisoning) , since sunday morning.
I think food poisoning as she said that she had eating some salmon that tasted bad. 

She has not eaten, thrown up a few times (maybe 2 or 3 times), and maybe drinks 2 , maximum 3 glasses of water a day.

She's very skinny and frail as it is, so I'm worried she may be getting dehydrated and lose too much weight.
She seems to go up and down a bit. 
Sunday was bad, yesterday better, and today a bit worse then yesterday again, but a while ago she seemed a bit better again.
She has no fever, though for a little while she had mild feverl.

I'm thinking about getting her some nutrional drink ?  She's pre-diabetic and has to watch sugar, but now off course she hasn't had anything to eat a few days. Would orange juice be safe to give?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

RE: Best way to stay hydrated(elderly mom is sick) - Ninurta - 05-29-2024

I'd say "sports drinks" like Gatorade would be the way to go. Gives the hydration of water with the electrolytes lost via vomiting. Grace had something like that a couple of weeks ago, and I plied her with Gatorade to prevent the dehydration. I don't know about the sugar content though. You might have to go with something like Pedialyte. They gave that to my Dear Old Dad when he was ailing.

RE: Best way to stay hydrated(elderly mom is sick) - ancientlight - 05-29-2024

(05-29-2024, 10:12 AM)Ninurta Wrote: I'd say "sports drinks" like Gatorade would be the way to go. Gives the hydration of water with the electrolytes lost via vomiting. Grace had something like that a couple of weeks ago, and I plied her with Gatorade to prevent the dehydration. I don't know about the sugar content though. You might have to go with something like Pedialyte. They gave that to my Dear Old Dad when he was ailing.

Thanks. A friend offered some powdered electrolytes. I will try those. I feel worried she didn't start on them earlier though.
At least I now know for next time.

RE: Best way to stay hydrated(elderly mom is sick) - FlickerOfLight - 05-29-2024

Hello, hope your mom is well.

There are also foods she can eat that will help keep her hydrated. Good stuff too. If she likes fruits.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/19-hydrating-foods#TOC_TITLE_HDR_12

Watermelon, strawberries, cucumber, oranges, peaches & cantaloupe just to name a few.

You can also feed her broth soups as well to aide in hydration. They would be easy on her tummy, and help keep her hydrated.

The link provided shows all the foods that can help.

Take care.

RE: Best way to stay hydrated(elderly mom is sick) - Cre8chaos - 05-29-2024

When I am sick nauseous, I drinkginger tea or eat ginger. Tastes sweful but works wonders. Also Pedialite if they have a sugar free option might be good. 
Hope she feels better soon.

RE: Best way to stay hydrated(elderly mom is sick) - GeauxHomeLittleD - 05-30-2024

Pedialyte does have a zero sugar version. Also you asked about nutritional drinks and Ensure Light has zero grams of sugar.

RE: Best way to stay hydrated(elderly mom is sick) - SomeJackleg - 05-30-2024

(05-29-2024, 01:04 AM)ancientlight Wrote: Hi all.

So my mom is 85 , and has been sick (possible stomach bug or food poisoning) , since sunday morning.
I think food poisoning as she said that she had eating some salmon that tasted bad. 

She has not eaten, thrown up a few times (maybe 2 or 3 times), and maybe drinks 2 , maximum 3 glasses of water a day.

She's very skinny and frail as it is, so I'm worried she may be getting dehydrated and lose too much weight.
She seems to go up and down a bit. 
Sunday was bad, yesterday better, and today a bit worse then yesterday again, but a while ago she seemed a bit better again.
She has no fever, though for a little while she had mild feverl.

I'm thinking about getting her some nutrional drink ?  She's pre-diabetic and has to watch sugar, but now off course she hasn't had anything to eat a few days. Would orange juice be safe to give?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Brawndo the thirst mutilator, it's got electrolytes.  sorry i couldn't resist  Laughing .

but as it has already been said, Gatorade or Pedialyte will be about your best bet.
you might even try one of the flavored water powders, two i really like are Strawberry Crush or Welsh's Strawberry Peach
zero calories.

i personally chug water all day long.