Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Cat proofing a home? - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Daily Chit Chat (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Thread: Cat proofing a home? (/showthread.php?tid=2055)

Cat proofing a home? - ancientlight - 05-07-2024

Hi all.
So my son wants a cat , very badly. I love cats too (would rather have ratties ) so have reluctantly agreed.
My concern is how to cat proof everything?! It feels overwhelming, like I would have to pay for an expert to come in and help.

I'm thinking I need at least oven knob covers, outlegs plugs, protective wire covers (braided sleeves) . 
What else , and how in the world am I going to cover every single wire in my house?! 

Help! Laughing

RE: Cat proofing a home? - BIAD - 05-07-2024

My son and his girlfriend has six of 'em and apart from a few of those rope-wrapped scratch poles
in his house and some mobile play-things, he just lets them have free rein. Cats have enough sense
to steer clear of hurtful items, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Shy thumbsup2

RE: Cat proofing a home? - Ninurta - 05-07-2024

All I do is make sure the cat can't get into cabinets and closets. You'll probably need a scratch post or two as BIAD mentioned, else the furniture may suffer. I've got cords all over the place (lots of computer stuff), and have never had the cat chew a cord. Did have a little problem once with starting seeds for the garden - I had them in a window that the cat wanted to sit in to watch the world, and she knocked a tray of pepper seedling off to clear a seat for herself.

Had to cage in some of the plants outdoors to keep her from wallowing them to death, the catnip in particular. She still lays on the ground beside it and eats leaves off of it, but they grow back pretty fast, so it's all good. It drugs her up - it's like speed for cats - she gnaws on it, goes batshit crazy zipping around like she's on speed for about 15 minutes, then suddenly runs outta gas and keels over and naps for a few hours.

It's mostly just keeping her out of cabinets and closets so she doesn't shred stuff in there to make a bed out of. She has a cat bed - two, in fact - but has no desire to sleep in either of them. She thinks she's little people, so insists on sleeping in the people bed most of the time... since she can't get into the cabinets and closets.

Cats are far different from dogs in their attitude. Dogs think people are there for friendship and companionship, but cats are certain people only exist as servants to cats.

RE: Cat proofing a home? - NightskyeB4Dawn - 05-07-2024

(05-07-2024, 07:06 AM)ancientlight Wrote: Hi all.
So my son wants a cat , very badly. I love cats too (would rather have ratties ) so have reluctantly agreed.
My concern is how to cat proof everything?! It feels overwhelming, like I would have to pay for an expert to come in and help.

I'm thinking I need at least oven knob covers, outlegs plugs, protective wire covers (braided sleeves) . 
What else , and how in the world am I going to cover every single wire in my house?! 

Help! Laughing

I have had pets my whole life. Dogs, cats, every kind of farm animal. I have never had to animal proof my house.

There are places I don't want them to go, like the kitchen, so I train them not to go there.

Animals are smarter than most people give them credit for. So they train us instead of we training them.

My pack give themselves away every day, because they are pros at playing my Mom. They pretend they are deaf when she tells them to do something. All I have to do is look at them or clear my throat, then they run like crazy to do what she told them to do.

Be patient and loving. Their general nature is to please you. Training them is easy.

RE: Cat proofing a home? - ancientlight - 05-07-2024

(05-07-2024, 09:22 AM)Ninurta Wrote: All I do is make sure the cat can't get into cabinets and closets. You'll probably need a scratch post or two as BIAD mentioned, else the furniture may suffer. I've got cords all over the place (lots of computer stuff), and have never had the cat chew a cord. Did have a little problem once with starting seeds for the garden - I had them in a window that the cat wanted to sit in to watch the world, and she knocked a tray of pepper seedling off to clear a seat for herself.

Had to cage in some of the plants outdoors to keep her from wallowing them to death, the catnip in particular. She still lays on the ground beside it and eats leaves off of it, but they grow back pretty fast, so it's all good. It drugs her up - it's like speed for cats - she gnaws on it, goes batshit crazy zipping around like she's on speed for about 15 minutes, then suddenly runs outta gas and keels over and naps for a few hours.

It's mostly just keeping her out of cabinets and closets so she doesn't shred stuff in there to make a bed out of. She has a cat bed - two, in fact - but has no desire to sleep in either of them. She thinks she's little people, so insists on sleeping in the people bed most of the time... since she can't get into the cabinets and closets.

Cats are far different from dogs in their attitude. Dogs think people are there for friendship and companionship, but cats are certain people only exist as servants to cats.

That is so true , we are cat's servants  Love it I'm not convinced though, I think they may try to play with wires and chew them a bit, seen cats play like this.

(05-07-2024, 10:18 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(05-07-2024, 07:06 AM)ancientlight Wrote: Hi all.

Help! Laughing

I have had pets my whole life. Dogs, cats,  every kind of farm animal. I have never had to animal proof my house.

There are places I don't want them to go,  like the kitchen, so I train them not to go there.

Animals are smarter than most people give them credit for. So they train us instead of we training them.

My pack give themselves away every day, because they are pros at playing my Mom. They pretend they are deaf when she tells them to do something. All I have to do is look at them or clear my throat, then they run like crazy to do what she told them to do.

Be patient and loving. Their general nature is to please you. Training them is easy.
I know animals are smart. But accidents happen, a cat could accidentally while playing with some loose wires , chew a bit as it's their instinct . Or they could easily turn oven knobs while climbing on everything. 
I don't know. Never had cats of my own. Only ratties , and they are low maintenance.

RE: Cat proofing a home? - GeauxHomeLittleD - 05-07-2024

Just get it litter box trained and turn it loose. I bought a scratching post and the cat wont touch it- he has decided one corner of the wooden cabinet the television sits on is his scratching post and absolutely nothing will deter him. I have plants all over the house but he only tries to play with the "dangley" ones so I have draped dangling trailers where he can't reach them. Do find the cat a "lovey" that it likes, mine uses one of my handmade voodoo dolls and snuggles with it frequently. I also leave the patio door partially open during the day so he can hang out on the balcony when he wants and watch the birds- he doesn't mess with my plants out there either. Cats are smart.

(05-07-2024, 04:03 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Just get it litter box trained and turn it loose. I bought a scratching post and the cat wont touch it- he has decided one corner of the wooden cabinet the television sits on is his scratching post and absolutely nothing will deter him. I have plants all over the house but he only tries to play with the "dangley" ones so I have draped dangling trailers where he can't reach them. Do find the cat a "lovey" that it likes, mine uses one of my handmade voodoo dolls and snuggles with it frequently. I also leave the patio door partially open during the day so he can hang out on the balcony when he wants and watch the birds- he doesn't mess with my plants out there either. Cats are smart.

I have three cats. All rescues. All with completely different personalities and completely different likes and dislikes.

All three are super smart. Sylvester and Enoch have no interest in dangling things. Nebuchadnezzar likes things that dangle only if they are moving, and knows exactly what the word "NO!" means.

This is what I face several times a day. The shirt isn't always present but both pair of slippers show up within hours of me moving them. I tried hiding them but Enoch always finds them and brings them back to the same location.    

RE: Cat proofing a home? - Chiefsmom - 05-07-2024

Yeah, I've had cats all my life, and have never "cat proofed" my house.  I've never had one chew a cord, and they are all over my home, from lamps to phones.
As others have said, a couple scratching posts, although mine seem to prefer the cheap cardboard ones you can now buy, that they shred and make a mess.  And the litter box.
Easy way to train a cat is a squirt bottle filled with water.  See them jumping on the stove, squirt.  Chewing something they shouldn't, squirt.
And toys.  Mine has a large spring he found somewhere, that he loves to bat around and actually will fetch it for you.

Doesn't take much to make a cat happy.  And keep it out of trouble.  For the most part.  Laughing

RE: Cat proofing a home? - EndtheMadnessNow - 05-07-2024

Nothing to add. I'll just echo from personal experience on what everyone else above has said.

I do not know anyone who has or had a cat where this happened...

[Image: hccWSYL.jpg]
Not saying it can't happen but aside from curiosity, they are damn smart and steer clear of danger.

Anything small that moves is fair game...

[Image: ZonqRVs.jpg]

This will make sense later on...

[Image: pSFwGgL.jpg]

This might happen...

[Image: rWxElnA.jpg]

Depending on the cat this might happen too, but there are quick remedies.

[Image: cL4H8GF.jpg]

And here's a hint...

[Image: r1GuyzJ.jpg]

Daytime...
[Image: bU257jC.jpg]
...Night time.

This will eventually happen...

[Image: Lt5USIE.jpg]

This will definitely happen...

[Image: VDo9dwS.jpg]

And if you don't clean it, he/she will let you know!

(05-07-2024, 07:40 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: Nothing to add. I'll just echo from personal experience on what everyone else above has said.

Sylvester's favorite game right now is baby rabbits.

Quote:Anything small that moves is fair game...

[Image: ZonqRVs.jpg]

This is a yearly occurrence. Why the tree now is placed outside and carefully monitored if they are on the porch.
Quote:This might happen...

[Image: rWxElnA.jpg]

Without a doubt.

Quote:This will eventually happen...

[Image: Lt5USIE.jpg]

Again. Without a doubt.

Quote:This will definitely happen...

[Image: VDo9dwS.jpg]

And if you don't clean it, he/she will let you know!