Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Something strange in my backyard - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Controversy and Debate (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Something strange in my backyard (/showthread.php?tid=2026)

Something strange in my backyard - FlickerOfLight - 04-25-2024

This is pretty interesting no matter how we look at it. I say we have some fun with it as we figure out what this strange thing is that's been right in my backyard, this whole time, without me even knowing it.

I did a quick google search to see if it was illegal to post pics of what I believe this may be, but if this is some weird cover up conspiracy, I am totally unaware. This is for entertainment purposes only and I am not completely sure what it is I am seeing.

I happen to be looking on my weather radar and noticed something odd about an eighth of a mile back in the woods behind my property. A larger round cut out of the trees. I had never noticed this before, even though I have looked at my area thousands of times.

I check my maps on my gps and check it out and nothing. I then check google earth and this thing is sitting right behind my house this whole time.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2018]

I start looking around and I believe this is an air traffic tracker satellite station of some sort. Again, I do not believe it is illegal to post this, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. lol 

Whatever it is, it is not guarded in anyway that I have seen. There's just a little gate that leads back into the woods, which is common around here. Often times those little roads lead to people's deer stands. It is pretty wild to think how close this has been to me and I have never known it. It certainly doesn't pull anything up when I try to find it thru the internet, or business or government listing.

I thought it a little weird, but I'm a tin foil hat jockey, so I did a little digging.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2019]

It's almost a perfect circle cut into the forest. Thats my house at the bottom left hand corner for reference as to how close this thing is to me. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2020]

Even the grass has a weird pattern around it.

So, what say you, rogue-nation? Air traffic tracker? Spy gear? Alien contact depot satellite deally?? 
It's fun to wonder.
Either way, pretty cool. Right in the backyard!

RE: Something strange in my backyard - NightskyeB4Dawn - 04-25-2024

Just did a lens search. Possible VOR???? The grass pattern looks similar. Don't know but it is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHF_omnidirectional_range

https://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/comments/76l3z4/weird_satellite_dish_looking_thing_on_google_maps/

RE: Something strange in my backyard - Bally002 - 04-25-2024

Crop circles are getting Hi Tech !

Bally (letting myself out)

RE: Something strange in my backyard - FlickerOfLight - 04-25-2024

What it looks like at ground level.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2022]

Yep, that's it for sure. VOR in the backyard.

That's probably an eight of a mile from the house.

I wonder if I have enough cord......... Cool Laughing

RE: Something strange in my backyard - NightskyeB4Dawn - 04-25-2024

(04-25-2024, 10:02 AM)FlickerOfLight Wrote: What it looks like at ground level.

Not too old to learn something new.

I knew nothing about this tool before your post. Thanks for the introduction.

https://www.ifr-review.com/the-vor

RE: Something strange in my backyard - SomeJackleg - 04-25-2024

that red and white checker pattern remind me of some of the building on the Navy's OLF's (Out Lying Fields) here in the panhandle of fl.

you could run a title / deed search on the property and find out who owns it and that might help give a idea of who and what their doing with it, if your country does title searches.

(04-25-2024, 12:58 PM)SomeJackleg Wrote:

that red and white checker pattern remind me of some of the building on the Navy's OLF's (Out Lying Fields) here in the panhandle of fl.

you could run a title / deed search on the property and find out who owns it and that might help give a idea of who and what their doing with it, if your country does title searches.

Georgia pacific owns the land.
I wondered what else these devices might be used for.

(04-25-2024, 12:56 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

Not too old to learn something new.

I knew nothing about this tool before your post. Thanks for the introduction.

https://www.ifr-review.com/the-vor

Me either. I knew things like this existed. However I had never seen anything like this one before. I stayed up a little while last night reading and learning about these stations.

I also learned, it actually is guarded here. 
Had no clue.

RE: Something strange in my backyard - SomeJackleg - 04-25-2024

(04-25-2024, 01:39 PM)FlickerOfLight Wrote: Georgia pacific owns the land.

Georgia Pacific, is owned by Koch Industries they bought it in 2005. as far as i recall Koch Industries is not a very nefarious company. they do get involved in a lot of politicking and their father was one of the founders of the John Birch Society.
and one of the brothers is one of the founders of the Cato Institute.

of course being the second largest private owned companies in the U.S. they probably got their hands in all kinds of stuff not known to the public.

i do know here in the panhandle that some of the paper product and lumber companies will lease some of their land to other companies maybe that's what they are doing.

from reading up on VOR's the FAA are one of the operators of them and i take own the majority of them and rthere are only abut 100 they don't own. their also going to shut down most of them and have already started doing so for the one they own, others are going to be left as back ups in case the new systems gps go down.
Quote:In late 2011, the FAA published its first notice for public comment related to its proposal to draw down the VOR network within the Continental U.S. (CONUS) to a MON. After the normal process of comment evaluation, proposals and notices was complete, a plan for transitioning to NextGen navigation systems was published by the FAA in July 2016. It included a plan for transitioning to PBN and for establishing a VOR MON. Phase I of that plan was to run from Fiscal Year (FY) 2016-2020. Before Phase I began, the FAA owned 957 VORs. Another 100 non-federal VORs were also in operation around the U.S. Some VORs were decommissioned during Phase I, but the primary goal during that time was to remove, replace or amend affected Instrument Flight Procedures (IFP), which would allow for more widespread VOR decommissioning during Phase II. By the time you read this, Phase II will have already begun and is currently scheduled to run through 2030. During Phase II, the federal VOR count will fall to 589, but without a significant loss of capability for the average user (see Figures 1 and 2).

understanding VOR in the Era of GPS

their basicly just radio broadcast that tells a pilot whose asking where they hell am i where he is. can't really think of anything else they could be used for. unless their is some sort of hidden signal being broadcast, or some body might spoof a broadcast andtry to misdirect aircraft. but with the new systems i doubt that would affect anything.

maybe 727Sky could help with a better understand and have ideas abut whatelse they could be used for.

(04-25-2024, 04:11 PM)SomeJackleg Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 01:39 PM)FlickerOfLight Wrote: Georgia pacific owns the land.

Georgia Pacific, is owned by Koch Industries they bought it in 2005. as far as i recall Koch Industries is not a very nefarious company. they do get involved in a lot of politicking and their father was one of the founders of the John Birch Society.
and one of the brothers is one of the founders of the Cato Institute.

of course being the second largest private owned companies in the U.S. they probably got their hands in all kinds of stuff not known to the public.

i do know here in the panhandle that some of the paper product and lumber companies will lease some of their land to other companies maybe that's what they are doing.

from reading up on VOR's the FAA are one of the operators of them and i take own the majority of them and rthere are only abut 100 they don't own. their also going to shut down most of them and have already started doing so for the one they own, others are going to be left as back ups in case the new systems gps go down.
Quote:In late 2011, the FAA published its first notice for public comment related to its proposal to draw down the VOR network within the Continental U.S. (CONUS) to a MON. After the normal process of comment evaluation, proposals and notices was complete, a plan for transitioning to NextGen navigation systems was published by the FAA in July 2016. It included a plan for transitioning to PBN and for establishing a VOR MON. Phase I of that plan was to run from Fiscal Year (FY) 2016-2020. Before Phase I began, the FAA owned 957 VORs. Another 100 non-federal VORs were also in operation around the U.S. Some VORs were decommissioned during Phase I, but the primary goal during that time was to remove, replace or amend affected Instrument Flight Procedures (IFP), which would allow for more widespread VOR decommissioning during Phase II. By the time you read this, Phase II will have already begun and is currently scheduled to run through 2030. During Phase II, the federal VOR count will fall to 589, but without a significant loss of capability for the average user (see Figures 1 and 2).

understanding VOR in the Era of GPS

their basicly just radio broadcast that tells a pilot whose asking where they hell am i where he is. can't really think of anything else they could be used for. unless their is some sort of hidden signal being broadcast, or some body might spoof a broadcast andtry to misdirect aircraft. but with the new systems i doubt that would affect anything.

maybe 727Sky could help with a better understand and have ideas abut whatelse they could be used for.

I wonder if this one has been decommissioned. 
If and when it is decommissioned, then I really wonder what else they could be used for.

I don't see them just letting those sit there, idle.

SomeJackleg, thanks a bunch. That was really cool of ya to lay all that out for us. I was hoping someone would open this up for me some more. That was a big help. Cheers.

"Development of the VOR began in 1937, but it was not until 1946 (soon after World War II) that the first station became operational."

Okay, my tin foil is vibrating now. Anything that came right after ww2 is suspect imo. Cool invention, no doubt. But the time frame that these things were invented is right during all that nazi tech coming out.
We all know how fishy things were right after ww2.

(I question and doubt everything now a days)

Very neat learning about all of this. I'm glad I posted this one.