Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Falcon 9 Starlink launch viewed from my backyard - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Technology and Advancements (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Forum: Science and Space...the Other Final Frontiers (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=79)
+--- Thread: Falcon 9 Starlink launch viewed from my backyard (/showthread.php?tid=1973)

Falcon 9 Starlink launch viewed from my backyard - Freija - 04-07-2024

Falcon 9 Starlink Launch
April 6, 2024 7:25 PM PDT
Originally scheduled for April 5. Rescheduled due to weather
Launched from Vandenberg Space Force Base, Santa Barbara, CA
Original picture size 4000 x 1868. Total of 15 pictures taken
Shot from the Phoenix AZ metro area – East Valley suburb

I knew this was coming and decided to look for a live feed on YouTube. I missed the actual launch but at 1 minute and 13 seconds after liftoff, when the rocket had already gone supersonic and reached max Q – the point of maximum aerodynamic pressure, I ran outside to snap some pics

Facing west toward California, with a 10’ high block wall around my compound, I couldn’t see low on the horizon but the launch was already visible. I was surprised how high it was already only about a minute and 20 seconds after launching.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1995]

It was really moving

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1996]

I zoomed in for a closer look. You can use the A/C unit and roof vents for reference.

More on this pic in minute. Notice the white dot near the left edge.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1992]

I then ran around to the other side of my house and looking over my gate facing south, I snapped this. According to timestamps, this was about 7minutes after launch.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1993]

After a few minutes, I then looked back to the west to see the trail that remained

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1994]

Final 10 second countdown begins at 3:15

Taking a look at the 3rd photo above at the mysterious white dot. Here is a zoomed in vlew

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1998]

And here is a more zoomed in view

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1999]

I messed around with the brightness and contrast but couldn’t really get a better look. I have no clue what this is?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1997]

Any ideas?

Local news story with more photos and videos

https://www.12news.com/article/tech/science/aerospace/watch-spacex-starlink-rocket-launch-saturday-night-april-6/75-1c15bebf-6d0e-4078-8035-a1abfe79347e

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2000]

RE: Falcon 9 Starlink launch viewed from my backyard - BIAD - 04-07-2024

Great photos! I have no idea what that object could be.
Surprised

RE: Falcon 9 Starlink launch viewed from my backyard - EndtheMadnessNow - 04-07-2024

Zero to Mach 1 in less than 60 seconds, before Max Q.
I'm assuming that object in your photos is one of the Falcon 9 fairing halves. The fairings, which protect the payload during launch, are equipped with thrusters and parachutes to guide them back to Earth where they can be retrieved from the ocean. Here's a photo of one from an earlier launch:

[Image: 2R4eCWc.jpg]

The first stage booster which burns for less than 3 minutes and is ejected. It returns to Earth for a vertical landing about eight minutes after liftoff, if all goes according to plan. The launch from last night touched down on the droneship "Of Course I Still Love You", which was stationed somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.

RE: Falcon 9 Starlink launch viewed from my backyard - Freija - 04-08-2024

(04-07-2024, 11:48 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: Zero to Mach 1 in less than 60 seconds, before Max Q.
I'm assuming that object in your photos is one of the Falcon 9 fairing halves. The fairings, which protect the payload during launch, are equipped with thrusters and parachutes to guide them back to Earth where they can be retrieved from the ocean. Here's a photo of one from an earlier launch:

This is the most probable and likely explanation that I have heard. Thank You!