Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
The defamation of Mary Magdalene - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Spirits and the Spiritual (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=81)
+--- Forum: Religions and Matters of Faith (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: The defamation of Mary Magdalene (/showthread.php?tid=1931)

The defamation of Mary Magdalene - DISRAELI - 03-26-2024

Mary (or rather Miriam, after the sister of Moses) has always been a popular name amongst the Jews. A number of women of that name are found in the New Testament.

The specific information about Mary Magdalen is very limited.
We may guess that her surname is “place of origin”, probably deriving from Magdala, a fishing town on the shore of the Sea of Galilee.
We know (Luke ch8 v2) that she was one of the women who accompanied Jesus in his travels along with his other disciples, and that seven demons had been driven out of her.
We know from the Easter narratives that she was one of the small group of women who sought to attend Jesus after his burial, and we have the story of John ch20 about her encounter with him after his Resurrection.

However, a few other stories in the gospels have had an great effect on the way that she’s been perceived, even though they don’t mention her by name.

Matthew has an “anointing in Bethany” story (ch26 vv6-13). While he is eating at the house of Simon the leper, an unidentified woman pours oil on his head. The disciples complain that the ointment could have been sold to provide for the poor, but Jesus declares that she is preparing him for his burial. No other motive is suggested. The implication is that this is an acted-out prophecy.

Luke has his own anointing story (ch7 vv36-50), but the setting is in the middle of the Galilee mission. The most recent place-name mentioned is Nain. The women is identified as a sinner and she is weeping. Not just from repentance and a sense of guilt, let it be understood. She is weeping with gratitude, superimposed upon the repentance, because she already knows that her sins have been forgiven, though her faith. That is clear from the remarks of Jesus, who says the magnitude of her sin can be measured by the magnitude of her grateful love. She anoints his feet, in humility, instead of his head. Before the anointing she must dry the feet with her hair, because her tears are making them wet.

Luke also has the story (ch10 vv38-41) of the reception of Jesus at the home of the sisters Mary and Martha. The village is not named, but Jesus has already “set his face” (ch9 v51) for the eight-chapter journey towards Jerusalem. There is no suggestion that either of them is the woman in the anointing story.

We come now to the story of John ch12 vv1-8, which complicates matters greatly. In his version of events, the household of Mary and Martha is combined with the household of Lazarus in Bethany, who is their brother. The event that takes place that night is Matthew’s Bethany anointing, on the whole. That is, the woman who anoints him is identified as Mary. Judas is the disciple who complains about the waste. John’s version of the reply Jesus made is a little odd; “Let her keep it for my burial”. How can she keep it, when she has already used it? Perhaps the simplest answer is to refer it to her previous decision NOT to sell the oil. “It was right that she should keep it and not sell it, so that she could use it for this purpose today.” On that interpretation, John agrees with Matthew in treating the act as “anointing in advance”.

John complicates things further by adding detail from the anointing in Luke. The act is transferred from the head to the feet of Jesus, and Mary wipes them with her hair even though it is not necessary. She has not been weeping, so the feet are not wet. Nevertheless, there is no suggestion of the “repentance for sin” motive. He does not identify Mary of Bethany with the sinner. Nor does he identify Mary Magdalene with either of them.

No, church tradition, interpreting the New Testament, has been responsible for dragging the name of Mary Magdalene into these events. The quest for ways of harmonising the gospels would naturally lead to the assumption that all three anointing stories were the same story at heart, which would have the effect of identifying Mary of Bethany as a reformed sinner. Apparently it was Pope Gregory the Great who first identified Mary Magdalene as the sinful anointing woman and more specifically identified her sin as fornication. He depended heavily on the assumed connection between fornication and being possessed by demons, which doesn’t have direct Biblical backing. Perhaps also “keep it for my burial” encouraged the idea that Mary of Bethany must have been one of the women around the tomb.

I had it in my head that Mary Magdalene spent the Middle Ages as patron saint of prostitutes, but this role seems to have been informal rather than official. Certainly the Oxford English Dictionary defines “Magdalen” as “a reformed prostitute”. Her name was given to communities of nuns formed from reformed prostitutes and other institutions designed to shelter them. All because Pope Gregory decided to simplify the Biblical character list and give her name to somebody else.

RE: The defamation of Mary Magdalene - FlickerOfLight - 04-03-2024

I have a theory I came up with through the scriptures. 

I think the "woman caught in adultery," the one they brought to Jesus, and was saved by the words, "he who is without sin, cast the first stone," I think that woman was Mary Magdeline. 

In one of the gospels, Luke I think, the timeline matches up to where that happened, and then shortly there after she is crying and anointing Jesus out of the appreciation for Jesus sparing/saving her life.

Thats why that woman was crying and wiping Jesus's feet clean with her tears.
She was thankful for Jesus saving her and knew from that He was the Messiah!

I believe that's where they get that Mary Magdeline was a prostitute at one time. To me, it adds up. Once Jesus had her spared she changed her life.

That's what I see in the scriptures concerning Mary Magdeline. It ties in with your theory here, I think.

RE: The defamation of Mary Magdalene - DISRAELI - 04-04-2024

(04-03-2024, 10:16 PM)FlickerOfLight Wrote: I have a theory I came up with through the scriptures. 

I think the "woman caught in adultery," the one they brought to Jesus, and was saved by the words, "he who is without sin, cast the first stone," I think that woman was Mary Magdeline. 

In one of the gospels, Luke I think, the timeline matches up to where that happened, and then shortly there after she is crying and anointing Jesus out of the appreciation for Jesus sparing/saving her life.

I believe that's where they get that Mary Magdeline was a prostitute at one time. To me, it adds up. Once Jesus had her spared she changed her life.

That's what I see in the scriptures concerning Mary Magdeline. It ties in with your theory here, I think.
I'm not yet sure about that argument. I think it's in danger of being circular, identifying a sinner as Mary Magdalen in order to show that Mary Magdalen was a sinner. Even if is true that the adulterous woman and the weeping woman were the same person, we are still left with the fact that the name of Mary Magdalen is not specifically attached to either of them

RE: The defamation of Mary Magdalene - FlickerOfLight - 04-04-2024

(04-04-2024, 07:50 AM)DISRAELI Wrote:
(04-03-2024, 10:16 PM)FlickerOfLight Wrote: I have a theory I came up with through the scriptures. 

I'm not yet sure about that argument. I think it's in danger of being circular, identifying a sinner as Mary Magdalen in order to show that Mary Magdalen was a sinner. Even if is true that the adulterous woman and the weeping woman were the same person, we are still left with the fact that the name of Mary Magdalen is not specifically attached to either of them

Very true. It seems like it would have been, especially since she's mentioned by name for other events.
So much mystery wrapped around her.
I wish we had more of her gospel. So little to go on, but whatever it was it was deep.

As far as Mary Magdeline being a sinner, I know there is a verse that states she had 7 unclean spirits cast out of her.

Are you saying she wasn't a sinner?