Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
What should I build next? - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Guohua's Lounge (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: Rogue-Nation's Bar, Grill and Grotto (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+--- Thread: What should I build next? (/showthread.php?tid=1854)

What should I build next? - Freija - 03-03-2024

While the wood I bought a couple days ago dries out in the house for 2 or 3 weeks, I'm contemplating what to build next and have some ideas. FYI those cedar fence pickets I've been using are really wet when new but dry quickly. In the summer when it's 110 degrees in my garage, it only takes a week.

If you didn't see my other thread with my latest endeavor, it is HERE

My first thought was to continue with the theme of my first build either by making the original design double-wide or by turning it into a corner cabinet. Excuse the quick and dirty bad Photoshop.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1945]

I thought if I did make it double-wide, as envisioned with some more really bad Photoshop type work, I could put some doors on the top but there is a problem with doing either of the double-wide ideas - weight. I can just barely lift and move the single-wide hutch thing as it is and if I make it bigger and heavier with no one to help me move it around, it won't be very practical. On the plus side, I could build it fairly quickly having just built the single-wide version.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1944]

What I'm leaning toward is something like this:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1946]

I'm really digging that old red cabinet thing and think I could replicate the look pretty easily. Although I haven't done it in a while, I even know how to cut glass - my handy mom taught me when I was in high school. The other thing is a pie safe. It looks easy to make and would be cute if painted?

I could even make this bookcase thing or this weird skinny cabinet?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1947]

Speaking of cutting things, and excuse me for sharing but I just had to, I had about 6 or more inches cut off my hair a few days ago. It hadn't been that long since I was in high school. It was pretty shaggy and a total pain to deal with. I'll go back in a couple weeks for a touch up trim so the ends look better. There were no weird conversations with my stylist!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1943]

If anyone else has any ideas for old rustic farmhouse style stuff to make, post 'em up! With a few more builds of gaining experience and learning techniques, I might move on to more refined stuff but hardwood is sooo damn expensive. Even regular pine isn't cheap. If I get good enough making this stuff, maybe I'll try selling some at a craft fair or farmer's market or something but for now it's to take up space I don't have in my house.

RE: What should I build next? - Schmoe - 03-03-2024

I like the skinny cabinet, I'd remove the lower shelves and use it as a nice gun cabinet.

In the first picture, I like the corner cabinet.  The wider one to the left, it's a little too British, though I can't quite put my finger on why  Laughing

RE: What should I build next? - Freija - 03-03-2024

(03-03-2024, 01:17 AM)Schmoe Wrote: I like the skinny cabinet, I'd remove the lower shelves and use it as a nice gun cabinet.

In the first picture, I like the corner cabinet.  The wider one to the left, it's a little too British, though I can't quite put my finger on why  Laughing

Thanks for the suggestions. As far as the skinny cabinet, unless my ex gives me back my 1022, which he said he'd do but conveniently keeps forgetting, I only have two rifles and both of them are already in hard cases. On the other hand, I might actually be able to find space for something like this and it would give me an excuse to buy a raised panel router bit and try a new technique.

Decisions, decisions!  Smile

RE: What should I build next? - EndtheMadnessNow - 03-03-2024

Your hair looks fantastic! As for cabinets I suck in the arts & crafts world but I do like the one on right in first image.

I'm sure whatever you decide will be a nice addition to Freija's world...

[Image: sirlgC5.jpg]

RE: What should I build next? - Schmoe - 03-03-2024

(03-03-2024, 03:19 AM)Freija Wrote:
(03-03-2024, 01:17 AM)Schmoe Wrote: I like the skinny cabinet, I'd remove the lower shelves and use it as a nice gun cabinet.

Thanks for the suggestions. As far as the skinny cabinet, unless my ex gives me back my 1022, which he said he'd do but conveniently keeps forgetting, I only have two rifles and both of them are already in hard cases. On the other hand, I might actually be able to find space for something like this and it would give me an excuse to buy a raised panel router bit and try a new technique.

Decisions, decisions!  Smile

I hear ya on space constraints, I'm pretty limited currently on what I could attempt.  When I buy a house, it will absolutely have a garage/workshop.

Woodworking is cool, I watch videos on it and it's always relaxing.  As long as you have the tools and know-how, which you seem to.

RE: What should I build next? - Infolurker - 03-03-2024

Something I wish I would have kept from my old home... my grandfathers and mothers Lane Chests.

I still remember the cedar smell.