Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Preview of my latest projects - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Guohua's Lounge (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: Rogue-Nation's Bar, Grill and Grotto (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+--- Thread: Preview of my latest projects (/showthread.php?tid=1808)

Preview of my latest projects - Freija - 02-19-2024

Howdy y'all!

Your gal Freija has been a busy bee! I intend to do full write-ups on both projects but for now here's a teaser.

PROJECT 1
How I turned 16 ceder fence pickets, four 2x4s and a few feet of crown molding into a rustic farmhouse curio display hutch. There's a few minor things left to do but it is 99% done.

Started by cutting out the main parts
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1926]

And ended up with this
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1927]

PROJECT 2
Baby gots new shoes! Started with this PC.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1929]

I've had this case for at least 10 years and have done several builds in it. Current guts: Asus Rog Strix X470 Gaming motherboard, Ryzen 5 5600X CPU, Nvidia RTX 3060 ti graphics, 32 GB DDR4 3600 memory, 2 TB NVMe drive, 1 TB NVMe drive, 2 TB Hard drive, two 1 TB hard drives. System is super fast and plays all the games I have on the highest settings.

So, with the intention of upgrading to the latest cutting edge stuff later this year, I decided to break up the costs by upgrading the chassis first, moving to water cooling and replacing the two 1 TB mechanical hard drives with a 2 TB SSD. Used my existing motherboard, graphics card and power supply.

Here's how she looks with no power
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1928]

And when powered on! First with the old system then with the new.

Crazy stuff, right? Yes, among other things I am a nerd.

Detail on each to follow when I have time.

RE: Preview of my latest projects - kdog - 02-19-2024

Wow ! That curio cabinet very nice.

RE: Preview of my latest projects - VioletDove - 02-19-2024

I love that hutch!

RE: Preview of my latest projects - Freija - 02-19-2024

Thanks for the comments!

I did a reverse image search on the hutch and what comes up most similar is dollhouse furniture.

Except it is human size! From the floor to the top it is 6' 8" (203.2 cm) and standing next to it, the top of my head is level with the top shelf.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1932]

"Rustic" is kind of an understatement. I beat the wood up even more with a hammer and shovel. I then used a dry brush technique to paint it so it looked kind of old and worn out. I need to figure out how to distress and paint the top molding so it doesn't look so new and get some kind of vintage knob for the drawer pull.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1930]

I've never made anything like this before and kind of had to learn and figure it out as I went so this is more or less a prototype but I'm already planning some changes on my next one. I'd never used a lathe before either but the legs turned out pretty good for a n00b.

RE: Preview of my latest projects - Freija - 02-21-2024

Got the antique glass knob on the drawer, brought the thing into my shack and loaded a bunch of junk in it just to see what it looked like. I think it's adorable if you don't mind me saying so!

Maybe I'll put a basket or something on the bottom shelf? Dunno?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1935]

I really have no place to put this where I live considering I'm still short on space and what space there is full of racks of auto parts, tools and equipment so I'm going to see if I can pawn it off on my ex-husband's wife. It would look good in their place.

RE: Preview of my latest projects - EndtheMadnessNow - 02-22-2024

Nice work! I know my mom would be quite jealous of your rustic hutch.

RE: Preview of my latest projects - Chiefsmom - 02-27-2024

Wow!

I love that!

Great Job.

Wish I lived near you, you could "pawn it off" on me!

RE: Preview of my latest projects - Antisthenes - 03-02-2024

Can't wait to see your next inspiration♡!

RE: Preview of my latest projects - Schmoe - 03-02-2024

(02-19-2024, 07:19 AM)Freija Wrote: Thanks for the comments!

I did a reverse image search on the hutch and what comes up most similar is dollhouse furniture.

Except it is human size! From the floor to the top it is 6' 8" (203.2 cm) and standing next to it, the top of my head is level with the top shelf.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1932]

"Rustic" is kind of an understatement. I beat the wood up even more with a hammer and shovel. I then used a dry brush technique to paint it so it looked kind of old and worn out. I need to figure out how to distress and paint the top molding so it doesn't look so new and get some kind of vintage knob for the drawer pull.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1930]

I've never made anything like this before and kind of had to learn and figure it out as I went so this is more or less a prototype but I'm already planning some changes on my next one. I'd never used a lathe before either but the legs turned out pretty good for a n00b.

I think I've heard of vinegar and steel wool being used to give it a distressed and old look.  Really nice work, and here I was, all proud of the 2x6s I tied together to replace a glass patio table that got blown over and shattered  Laughing

It did look good though, I used a light stain that gave it a driftwood sorta look.  It had a subtle green color to it that I loved.