Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Movies & TV Shows (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=100)
+--- Thread: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) (/showthread.php?tid=1549)

Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - BodhisattvaStyle - 11-30-2023

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1629]

After saving the life of his royal father's usurper, Pelias (Douglas Wilmer), whom he fails to recognize, Jason (Todd Armstrong) is encouraged by the conniving murderer to begin a quest in search of the Golden Fleece. In doing so, Pelias hopes for Jason's death to thwart the prophecy that he will reclaim the throne. Along the journey, Jason is protected by the goddess Hera (Honor Blackman), and his crew includes Hercules (Nigel Green) and Acastus (Gary Raymond), a saboteur planted by Pelias.

This is a really cool flick if you've never watched it before, and especially if you enjoy that original stop motion animation movies
 The magic is done by one of the greatest stop animators of all time Ray Harryhausen. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1630]

These old stop motion films are my absolute favorites. I remember watching Clash of the Titans with my dad as a little boy and loving the whole experience,  as well as it scaring the bejesus out of me. This is where my love for these type of movies stemmed from, and this is one of the greats of all time in that genre. Animators like Tim Burton, who is one of my personal favorite animators, get theyre love for making films from this guys work. 
The time and dedication it took to pull this off always amazed me. Such attention to detail and a zen patience to be able to pull it off with such style. So cool. I have so much respect and admiration for that fact.

Old school. This is an epic film and well worth the watch. 

A short video showing off the animation

Full movie

RE: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - Infolurker - 11-30-2023

I loved these types of movies when I was a kid. Same with the Godzilla / Japanese monster movies.

Not much from that time period stands the test of time except "Hogan's Heroes" and maybe a few Westerns.

RE: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - EndtheMadnessNow - 11-30-2023

What a classic! I was 10 or 11 when I first seen that film.

[Image: cEamPuj.jpg]

The Ljubljana dragon may have its origins in the legend of Jason and the Argonauts. Once upon a time, Greek hero Jason and his Argonaut comrades stole a golden fleece, the coat of a golden ram, from the King of Colchis on the Black Sea. On board the Argo they fled their pursuers and found themselves at the mouth of the River Danube instead of going south towards the Aegean Sea and their Greek homeland. There was no way back, so they went on, up the Danube and then along the River Ljubljanica. They had to stop at the source of the Ljubljanica and overwintered here. They then took the Argo apart and in the spring carried it on their shoulders to the Adriatic coast, where they put it back together again and went on their way. According to the legend, on their arrival between what is now Vrhnika and Ljubljana, the Argonauts came across a large lake with a marsh alongside. Here lived a terrible marsh dragon that Jason killed after a heroic struggle. The monster would have been the Ljubljana dragon. It is said that Jason should have been the first real Ljubljana citizen.
City of Ljubljana

Melanija Knavs, Germanized as Melania Knauss who later became Melania Trump, went to high school in Ljubljana, Slovenia, City of dragons.

The "golden fleece" is a whole other story/stories.

RE: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - kdog - 11-30-2023

I grew up with old movies like this and loved it !

Fun to watch these days when I can find them.

RE: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - BodhisattvaStyle - 11-30-2023

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1631]
King Kong 1933 was my very first stop motion movie; that i can remember. I think I was 3 or 4, but there is a story behind it.

Apparently my dad wanted to watch this movie with me when I was a little boy. My mom, however disagreed, and thought itbwould be too scary for me.

Dad was like-----nawh.....he'll be fine.

I slept in their room for a week after watching it.
Still haven't lived that down.

RE: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - 727Sky - 11-30-2023

I saw that on a Saturday night at the movie theater with a girl friend while holding hands and anything else she would let me grab/grapple, play with ! 

It was truly an amazing movie for it's time just like Forbidden Planet was. Movies back then seemed to clearly define the line between good, bad, and evil.

RE: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - BIAD - 11-30-2023

For my younger self, 'Them!' really got to me. Giant ants and missing children, a recipe a kid could apprceciate!
Shocked

[Image: Them_01.jpg]
[Image: them_Sandy-Descher.jpg?resize=446%2C360&ssl=1]

RE: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - CoyoteAngel - 11-30-2023

(11-30-2023, 08:12 AM)BIAD Wrote: For my younger self, 'Them!' really got to me. Giant ants and missing children, a recipe a kid could apprceciate!
Shocked

[Image: Them_01.jpg]
[Image: them_Sandy-Descher.jpg?resize=446%2C360&ssl=1]

Them really scared me, I've never forgotten that was where I learned about the unique smell of ants and I think about this movie everytime I see a string on them marching thru my kitchen!  

I lived in NM and the desert where so many classics were set.   The Atomic test was a good plot anchor.   

Another desert classic that scared me to death was the Hills Have Eyes (not the remake).   

Jason and the Argonauts was another movie that gave me that creepy feel.   And of course The Day the Earth Stood Still

Movies today focus too much on special effects dazzle and not enough story and mood.

RE: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - Michigan Swamp Buck - 12-01-2023

Let's not forget the stop animation in the Sinbad movies starting with "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad". Now, off topic a bit, when I was very young I went to a showing of "The Fearless Vampire Killers" released in 1967.

Quote:The Fearless Vampire Killers, or Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck is a 1967 comedy horror film directed by Roman Polanski,

I believe I saw this shortly after the Manson murders in August 1969 when actress Sharon Tate who starred in this movie was killed. I was only 5 in 69, so it was likely a year or two after that when I was 6 or 7 when I saw this at the theater. It was just me and my older brothers and even though I don't remember being scared when we saw it, the mood of the movie plus the fact that the heroes couldn't stop the vampires and were doomed affected me for years.

RE: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - Chiefsmom - 12-01-2023

I love that movie, and still watch it whenever I come across it.

I love the old horror too.  I was watching an old movie with the swamp thing.  Hubby came in, looked at it, looked at me, and said " you know you can see the zipper in his suit."

I DON"T CARE!!!!!  LOL

RE: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - BodhisattvaStyle - 12-01-2023

(12-01-2023, 06:33 PM)Chiefsmom Wrote: I love that movie, and still watch it whenever I come across it.

I love the old horror too.  I was watching an old movie with the swamp thing.  Hubby came in, looked at it, looked at me, and said " you know you can see the zipper in his suit."

I DON"T CARE!!!!!  LOL

I chuckled reading that.  Laughing

RE: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - BIAD - 12-02-2023

Isn't it strange that -when even small moveable clay 'dolls' are used to represent giant monsters
and stop-animation is accepted by the audiences in the movie-making business, these old films
are seen as more as classics than the green-screen varieties?
Smile thumbsup2

RE: Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - wtbengineer - 12-03-2023

(11-30-2023, 03:49 AM)BodhisattvaStyle Wrote: [Image: attachment.php?aid=1629]

After saving the life of his royal father's usurper, Pelias (Douglas Wilmer), whom he fails to recognize, Jason (Todd Armstrong) is encouraged by the conniving murderer to begin a quest in search of the Golden Fleece. In doing so, Pelias hopes for Jason's death to thwart the prophecy that he will reclaim the throne. Along the journey, Jason is protected by the goddess Hera (Honor Blackman), and his crew includes Hercules (Nigel Green) and Acastus (Gary Raymond), a saboteur planted by Pelias.

This is a really cool flick if you've never watched it before, and especially if you enjoy that original stop motion animation movies
 The magic is done by one of the greatest stop animators of all time Ray Harryhausen. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1630]

These old stop motion films are my absolute favorites. I remember watching Clash of the Titans with my dad as a little boy and loving the whole experience,  as well as it scaring the bejesus out of me. This is where my love for these type of movies stemmed from, and this is one of the greats of all time in that genre. Animators like Tim Burton, who is one of my personal favorite animators, get theyre love for making films from this guys work. 
The time and dedication it took to pull this off always amazed me. Such attention to detail and a zen patience to be able to pull it off with such style. So cool. I have so much respect and admiration for that fact.

Old school. This is an epic film and well worth the watch. 

A short video showing off the animation

Full movie

Thanks for reminding me of this!  One of my favorites.  I remember being just blown away as a kid back in the '60s by the animation.  I've always had a fond place in my heart for this and all R.H.'s movies.