Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Health insurance in Florida questions - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: World Health Matters (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=103)
+--- Forum: General Health Topics (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=105)
+--- Thread: Health insurance in Florida questions (/showthread.php?tid=1481)

Health insurance in Florida questions - ancientlight - 11-13-2023

Hi all. 

I hate posting another topic that's around asking help , again I think, but this site is the best online IMO with friendly people  In love And maybe it helps someone reading , stuck what to do with the same issues.

So I live in Florida with my 12 year old son and have no medical insurance. I just have hospital indeminity insurance , but that would barely cover anything.

So I rent out two rentals.
 What is considered my 'gross income' ?
 Is it the total amount of rent I recieve from my tenants over a year ? 
Or is it the total amount of rent received over a year minus the fixed yearly costs? 

Because talking to one agent, he made it seem as it's the total amount of rent recieved without deducing any fixed costs ! 
Which is insane as the property tax bill alone comes to almost 13k.
So it would be really helpful to know just this already  In love

Also what would be some good affordable options, that you guys have had good experiences with?
My greatest concern , when it comes to medical costs, is hospital stay and surgery. 
So maybe something that covers just hospital stay/surgery would already be good .

Thanks In love

RE: Health insurance in Florida questions - Snarl - 11-14-2023

(11-13-2023, 04:32 PM)ancientlight Wrote: What is considered my 'gross income' ?

Gross income is the sum total of all your income. Before anything. How much money flows in. Period.

ETA: Don't FAFO down there in Florida. Whoever it was that suggested you could reduce the number by your Tax Costs, doesn't understand how the State makes money off property owners down there. Don't consult with that person anymore. They're going to bury you in trouble.

You might want to find a CPA and ask what they can do for you. You might be very very pleasantly surprised.

(11-13-2023, 04:32 PM)ancientlight Wrote: Also what would be some good affordable options, that you guys have had good experiences with?

You can find doctors who will take you on as a patient outside the insurance (scam) system. Even then, medical care can be unaffordable ... esp w/a 12 YO in your house. The problem with insurance boils down to: Will the coverage you have address the ills you develop? In all too many cases the answer boils right down to, "No."

I have insurance through the military. Let me tell you, "It frickin' sucks!!" So many providers just look at the paperwork burden they'd have to take on ... and simply turn us away. Might as well not even claim to have coverage when that's the case, no? The wife maintained her policy (which was a really good deal at the time) from an old employer. That still is a static $250/mo ... something we might look at as a car payment a few decades ago.

If elected, insurance is one of the evils I would exorcise.

RE: Health insurance in Florida questions - ancientlight - 11-14-2023

(11-14-2023, 11:59 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 04:32 PM)ancientlight Wrote: What is considered my 'gross income' ?

Gross income is the sum total of all your income. Before anything. How much money flows in. Period.

ETA: Don't FAFO down there in Florida. Whoever it was that suggested you could reduce the number by your Tax Costs, doesn't understand how the State makes money off property owners down there. Don't consult with that person anymore. They're going to bury you in trouble.

You might want to find a CPA and ask what they can do for you. You might be very very pleasantly surprised.

(11-13-2023, 04:32 PM)ancientlight Wrote: Also what would be some good affordable options, that you guys have had good experiences with?

You can find doctors who will take you on as a patient outside the insurance (scam) system. Even then, medical care can be unaffordable ... esp w/a 12 YO in your house. The problem with insurance boils down to: Will the coverage you have address the ills you develop? In all too many cases the answer boils right down to, "No."

I have insurance through the military. Let me tell you, "It frickin' sucks!!" So many providers just look at the paperwork burden they'd have to take on ... and simply turn us away. Might as well not even claim to have coverage when that's the case, no? The wife maintained her policy (which was a really good deal at the time) from an old employer. That still is a static $250/mo ... something we might look at as a car payment a few decades ago.

If elected, insurance is one of the evils I would exorcise.

Thank you , I will talk to a CPA , that's a great idea! My concern is not so much doctor visits, but hospital stay / surgery, should it ever be needed. 
I am clueless on what to do further, it's very frustrating. And I am self-employed so no work insurance.

I don't want to pay hundreds a month for something that may never be needed, it's just a rip-off.