Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Dear Child - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Movies & TV Shows (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=100)
+--- Thread: Dear Child (/showthread.php?tid=1470)

Dear Child - EndtheMadnessNow - 11-10-2023

I watched Dear Child (Netflix 2023) a German psychological mystery crime drama Mini Series with intriguing characters, a confounding puzzle and fragmented perspectives. Based on Romy Hausman’s international best-selling novel of the same name, Dear Child (or "Liebes Kind" in its original German) explores the connection between the pair's harrowing escape from captivity and a 13-year-old missing persons case.

Lena lives in complete isolation together with the two children Hannah and Jonathan in a highly secured home. They eat their meals, go to the toilet and to bed at precisely prescribed times. As soon as he enters the room, they line up to show their hands. They obey to everything he says. Until the young woman manages to escape. After a near fatal car accident, she is hospitalized, accompanied by Hannah. But the true extent of this nightmare is revealed with the arrival of Lena's parents at the hospital the same night. They have been desperately searching for their missing daughter for almost 13 years. But, there is a shocking twist.
IMDB

The series is in German with English subtitles. I was skeptical but after the first episode I was hooked, though afterward it could of been another 1-2 episodes as the ending felt rushed. Some reviewers say it closely follows the novel.

Quote:“These are all damaged characters: people who are severely scarred by a crime and deal with it very differently," co-writer and co-director Julian Pörksen told Netflix’s Die Woche. "The perpetrator is often the focus of such series and is glorified as a mysterious, dark force. That's not the case with us. And there is a main character who is extraordinary in every way. A girl who has a special view of the world, a special way of speaking, thinking and experiencing.”

Dear Child is especially interested in exploring the internal pain that stems from traumatic experiences, according to co-producer Friederich Oetker. "I found the motif of the inner and outer prison particularly interesting: Even if you manage to escape, you take your inner prison with you," he told Netflix. "You have to free yourself from it."

TIME magazine

[Image: gvhB4eT.jpg]

In case you might be wondering, there is NO physical child abuse. Just a crazy amount of mind control.

RE: Dear Child - Freija - 12-04-2023

As much as I try to avoid series because I have no self control, I am proud of myself for watching half of this last night and finishing it up this afternoon rather than staying up all night until it was over.

I probably wouldn't have watched it at all if it wasn't for this thread so thank you because it sucked me in and I enjoyed it.