Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Attack of the Coatimundi - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Animal House (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=97)
+--- Thread: Attack of the Coatimundi (/showthread.php?tid=1468)

Attack of the Coatimundi - Freija - 11-10-2023

I had never heard of this critter until reading a story in the local news about a man in a community south of Tucson who was bitten by one and as a precaution underwent treatment for rabies. It turned out he had been feeding them which was pretty stupid considering they’re wild animals that will attack if feeling threatened or cornered.

Pronunciation- Coatimundi: Ko-ah-ta-muhn-dee Coati: Ko-ah-tee

What is a Coatimundi?

Four distinct species of coatimundi have been identified by the International Union of Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List, all of them native to the Americas, although they are more common in Central and South America. IUCN lists Arizona’s white-nosed coatis as a “species of least concern” on their list of threatened species. Coatimundis are members of the raccoon family and the white-nosed coatis we have in Arizona are about the size of a small dog; males weigh up to 18 pounds and females are slightly smaller. They can be identified by their long snouts, semi-prehensile tails, and light on dark mask that often connects their white or tan nose to the rings of lighter fur around their eyes. The white-nosed coati looks like a stretched out and more slender version of a raccoon. They travel in troops and while walking, their long semi-prehensile tail is often comically visible towering above them like a furry brown (sometimes striped) periscope.

Where Do Coatimundi Live?

The white-nosed coati is distributed across a wide range, from as far north as Flagstaff, Arizona, eastward into New Mexico and Texas, and south to Mexico, Central America, and the far northwestern region of Colombia near the border with Panama. Overall, Arizona’s white-nosed coatis tend to prefer woodland and riparian habitats and rocky canyons generally at elevations from 4,500-7,500 feet.

[Image: CoatiWide2.jpg]

Social Life

The Arizona white-nosed coati is a fascinating mammal that lives in "bands" of up to 30 individuals. These social creatures have a unique family structure where males live separately from females and young during the fall and winter months, reuniting in the spring to breed. After the female gives birth to up to six young and returns to the band, the adult males are pushed out and the young coatis are raised and protected within the safety of their individual matriarchal-structured group. The coati's social structure allows them to work together to find food, protect their young, and defend their territory. It's amazing how these animals can form such tight-knit communities, and their family dynamics are truly a wonder to behold.

Overall, coatimundis are fascinating creatures that play an important role in their ecosystems. By learning more about them and respecting their space, we can all appreciate these unique animals while ensuring their safety and wellbeing.

[Image: CoatiFooter1.jpg]

[Image: 654d383e66e59.image.jpg?resize=724%2C483]

11 Interesting Coatimundi Facts

I've lived in Arizona most of my life and have never heard of these things. I find their social/family life quite interesting.

A few days ago, a woman up north near Flagstaff was trampled to death by an elk. Turned out she had been feeding them too. Pro Tip: Don't mess with wild animals!

RE: Attack of the Coatimundi - Grace - 11-10-2023

That's cool, I'd never heard of them either... Very interesting.

RE: Attack of the Coatimundi - Chiefsmom - 11-10-2023

I had heard of them, but thought they were in south America.  I wonder if they are as big a nuisance as Racoons?

Guess I will have to go see what they eat!.

Well, yep, they have been known to take poultry.

So, just cuter versions of Racoons.

RE: Attack of the Coatimundi - Snarl - 11-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 04:11 AM)Freija Wrote: Pro Tip: Don't mess with wild animals!

Fixed it for ya.  Smile

RE: Attack of the Coatimundi - Schmoe - 11-11-2023

I love coming across new animals I never knew existed, like this goddamned dragon, for example.

[Image: hydrosaurus-celebensis.jpg]

RE: Attack of the Coatimundi - Ninurta - 11-11-2023

(11-11-2023, 01:28 AM)Schmoe Wrote: I love coming across new animals I never knew existed, like this goddamned dragon, for example.

Two questions: what the hell kinda monster is that?

And are they good eatin'?

It looks like it has some kind of Dimetrodon sail, but on it's tail rather than on it's back, and there appears to be a head frill folded down against it's neck.

So what the hell IS that?

For the record, coatis are good eatin'. The Indios on Central America eat 'em every chance they get.

RE: Attack of the Coatimundi - BIAD - 11-11-2023

(11-11-2023, 09:36 AM)Ninurta Wrote: (Replying To Schmoe)

It looks like it has some kind of Dimetrodon sail, but on it's tail rather than on it's back, and there appears to be a head frill folded down against it's neck.

For the record, coatis are good eatin'. The Indios on Central America eat 'em every chance they get.

There are times when we here at Rogue Nation strive to further our education and feed eager minds
in order to make us better people. Then there's Ninurta -a fellow who resides in an environment where
priorities are often different from those who may browse our website from time-to-time.

EAT IT?! Are you crazy?!!
Surprised

RE: Attack of the Coatimundi - Ninurta - 11-11-2023

(11-11-2023, 09:56 AM)BIAD Wrote:

There are times when we here at Rogue Nation strive to further our education and feed eager minds
in order to make us better people. Then there's Ninurta -a fellow who resides in an environment where
priorities are often different from those who may browse our website from time-to-time.

Surprised

Well... yeah... I thought that was kinda obvious... but what's that got to do with eatin'? Even crazy folks gotta eat!

RE: Attack of the Coatimundi - 727Sky - 11-11-2023

(11-11-2023, 11:28 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 09:56 AM)BIAD Wrote:

Surprised

Well... yeah... I thought that was kinda obvious... but what's that got to do with eatin'? Even crazy folks gotta eat!

Always better to be the eater than the eaten IMO...

RE: Attack of the Coatimundi - BIAD - 11-11-2023

(11-11-2023, 12:32 PM)727Sky Wrote: Always better to be the eater than the eaten IMO...

Oh I agree! But when interacting with the diverse spectrum of creatures on this planet, many
academics will use the 'Marcus Aurelius' approach to further their acquisition of knowledge.

But if one's first thought is 'can I eat it?'... I would suggest there's a predacious quality to
one's journey in life!!
Smile thumbsup2 Laughing

RE: Attack of the Coatimundi - Schmoe - 11-13-2023

(11-11-2023, 09:36 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 01:28 AM)Schmoe Wrote: I love coming across new animals I never knew existed, like this goddamned dragon, for example.

Sailfin lizard, native to Indonesia I think.  Aside from their appearance, another cool feature is a vestigial third eye on top of their head.  Apparently it detects light and is thought be used for sense of direction.

I've heard that, about coatimundis being good eating.  Wouldn't think it from looking at them.  Apparently echidnas are good too, tribes in Africa also eat those any chance they get.

RE: Attack of the Coatimundi - Ninurta - 11-13-2023

(11-13-2023, 02:20 AM)Schmoe Wrote: Sailfin lizard, native to Indonesia I think.  Aside from their appearance, another cool feature is a vestigial third eye on top of their head.  Apparently it detects light and is thought be used for sense of direction.

I've heard that, about coatimundis being good eating.  Wouldn't think it from looking at them.  Apparently echidnas are good too, tribes in Africa also eat those any chance they get.

Huh. Ya learn something every day! Here was me, thinking that the Tuatara was the only lizard with a vestigial third eye on top of it's head!

I might have to pass on the echidna - I dunno how I'd ever get one peeled!