Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Downsizing - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Movies & TV Shows (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=100)
+--- Thread: Downsizing (/showthread.php?tid=1452)

Downsizing - NightskyeB4Dawn - 11-04-2023

I tripped up on the movie "Downsizing".

It was not at all what I thought it would be. 

It was a movie that really got the gears turning in my head.

I think I may watch again.

It is a movie on Netflix.

It will make you think. Well, it made me think anyway.

Netflix gave a lousy synopsis of the movie.

Quote:Mild-mannered therapist Paul Safranek and his wife, Audrey, decide to undergo a process in which scientists shrink people down to miniature size to live in small communities. The irreversible procedure allows the people to gain wealth and a life of leisure while helping to cut down on the consumption of natural resources. As Paul gets to know his new neighbors and surroundings, he soon learns that living in a tiny suburb comes with its own set of huge problems.

It was so much more.

I just had another wild thought.

There is nothing new under the sun.

I wonder about the stories that were developed about fairies.

BIAD may even to give us some insight on the original furies.

RE: Downsizing - Freija - 11-04-2023

After finishing the Netflix series Bodies, I just watched Downsizing last night.

I enjoyed it but it didn't go where I thought it was going to go. It had some funny moments but wasn't much of a comedy that kind of turned into a social commentary on classism that developed into a love story and a man finding some real purpose in life with something akin to a doomsday cult thrown in along the way.

I'm pretty pissed with YouTube's new no ad blocking BS but here's the trailer:

RE: Downsizing - NightskyeB4Dawn - 11-04-2023

(11-04-2023, 08:03 PM)Freija Wrote: After finishing the Netflix series Bodies, I just watched Downsizing last night.

I enjoyed it but it didn't go where I thought it was going to go. It had some funny moments but wasn't much of a comedy that kind of turned into a social commentary on classism that developed into a love story and a man finding some real purpose in life with something akin to a doomsday cult thrown in along the way.

I'm pretty pissed with YouTube's new no ad blocking BS but here's the trailer:

I am halfway through "Bodies".

"Downsizing" was nothing like I thought it would be. 

I agree that it was all over the place, but it really made me think. 

Growing up as a military brat, being in the military, and traveling a lot though work, I know what it is like to find yourself suddenly as stranger in a strange land, and having to team up with a bunch of people that you don't know, didn't choose, and don't have a choice, but you 'have" to make it work.

"Downsizing" really had me thinking about not just the possibilities for our future on this planet, but about how much people don't change throughout generations. Nature is what it is. We can make excuses about color, culture, religion, but if we all looked alike, worshipped the same, lived under the same rules, believed the same, we would still end up following the same path we have followed from the beginning of time, and will always end up in the same place we are standing my today.

We are all a stiff necked people that can't seem to learn vicariously.
MinusculeCheers

RE: Downsizing - EndtheMadnessNow - 11-04-2023

I was intrigued on its premise while watching the micro-utopia fantasy, but it left a sour picture in my mind afterwards. Like Freija said, it just didn't go where I was expecting either.

"Downsizing" has some similarities to the film "The Congress" (2014) which also takes place in a near future. The technology can turn humans into their own avatars, unleashing infinite computer-generated and cartoon doppelgangers, so that the "original" is completely lost in the replications. Through technology, humanity has chosen obsolescence. Unlike Downsizing though, "The Congress" pushes its initial premise into the outer reaches of possibility...so far out there that the entire second half of the film is animated.

The writer/director also from Omaha, Alexander Payne (Alexander Constantine Papadopoulos) studied Spanish and History at Stanford. Maybe his new film "The Holdovers" (also starring Paul Giamatti) I'll like better.

My Kung fu ad blocking on YT is still working, at least for now.

RE: Downsizing - NightskyeB4Dawn - 11-04-2023

(11-04-2023, 08:39 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: I was intrigued on its premise while watching the micro-utopia fantasy, but it left a sour picture in my mind afterwards. Like Freija said, it just didn't go where I was expecting either.

"Downsizing" has some similarities to the film "The Congress" (2014) which also takes place in a near future. The technology can turn humans into their own avatars, unleashing infinite computer-generated and cartoon doppelgangers, so that the "original" is completely lost in the replications. Through technology, humanity has chosen obsolescence. Unlike Downsizing though, "The Congress" pushes its initial premise into the outer reaches of possibility...so far out there that the entire second half of the film is animated.

The writer/director also from Omaha, Alexander Payne (Alexander Constantine Papadopoulos) studied Spanish and History at Stanford. Maybe his new film "The Holdovers" (also starring Paul Giamatti) I'll like better.

My Kung fu ad blocking on YT is still working, at least for now.

I don't like comedies, and I despise romance movies. I do like movies that get the gears moving.

What I like about this movie is that it got me thinking. Not just about the possibilities, but about the realities. 

We are our own worst enemies. We don't have to worry about the enemy at the gate, as much as we should be concerned about those that are locked inside the manor with us.