Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Books: Reading Them, Writing Them, Discussing Them - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Daily Chit Chat (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Thread: Books: Reading Them, Writing Them, Discussing Them (/showthread.php?tid=1379)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Books: Reading Them, Writing Them, Discussing Them - Chiefsmom - 10-25-2023

(10-24-2023, 08:47 PM)LogicalGraffiti Wrote:
(10-23-2023, 04:55 PM)Chiefsmom Wrote: I love books.  I learned to read at a very young age, thanks to my mom.  She always had a book near, as did my grandmother.
I have a nook, but to me, there is nothing like an actual book.

I will read anything, as long as it gets my attention in the first few pages.  If not, I try to struggle through it, or I just give up and set it aside, to either try again later, or pass it on to someone else.
Yeah, that includes trashy paranormal romance books.  But those I prefer the series ones, but I actually like the character buildup, and the action.  Shelley Laurenston (?) for example.  Also very funny.

I read a lot of metaphysical books, and alternative history books, I guess they might be called? (Conspiratorial?)  I love discussing them as well.
I am currently reading Anunnaki: Gods no more.  (Struggle a bit with all the "who bred with who, keeping the names straight)
I loved all the recommendations I found at ATS, and would love some more.
I have even been able to read a few of the books written by authors over there, and help edit one on a pre-read.
(for some reason, I see a mistake, spelling, space for a missing word, ect. and just can't let it go.  LOL)

So, I hope there are others that love books, and maybe want to discuss them as well, or recommend some, or heck, just complain about them.
As an avid reader, what's your opinion on e-books?  I didn't think it would be as good as holding a real book but it's actually not bad.  Amazon Prime is my go-to when I want something quickly and will read on my phone in the Kindle app.  Just finished the Atlantis Gene trilogy by A.G. Riddle.
Atlantis Gene

Given a choice?  I would pick a physical book.  But having the ability to basically pick any book, and have it in seconds, I read about 80% on my nook or kindle app.

(10-24-2023, 11:33 PM)p358 Wrote: You could try mine.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Symbiotic-Bond-KEEPER-BALANCE-Melding-ebook/dp/B00T3N8C14?ref_=ast_author_mpb

I hope that link works.

I have 4 published and two waiting for an editor.  I lost the last editor because I didn't get the jabby jab. Lol.

More than happy to help any authors on here.

PSmile
Wonderful!  Thank you!

RE: Books: Reading Them, Writing Them, Discussing Them - MrJesterium - 10-29-2023

I recently found out about Philosophy Of The Common Task by Nikolai Fyodor Fedorov.

The guy was crazy enough to believe the dead could be physically revived from traces of their life, every imprint they left behind. I agree with him in the sense that they live on through their works and ideas. Still on the fence about a literal resurrection. Also, he served as an inspiration to a generation of cosmonauts, including the pioneer Konstantin Tsiolkovsky.

RE: Books: Reading Them, Writing Them, Discussing Them - quintessentone - 10-29-2023

I was just given four poetry books from my son's partner and I'm sharing snippets in Annee's poetry thread for all. Enjoy.

RE: Books: Reading Them, Writing Them, Discussing Them - Macsen191 - 10-29-2023

I'm currently reading the Anita Blake series and Anne Rice's The Witching Hour. I love sci fi/supernatural books the most. I've recenlty been getting into Neil Gaimain as well.

RE: Books: Reading Them, Writing Them, Discussing Them - BodhisattvaStyle - 10-29-2023

(10-23-2023, 04:55 PM)Chiefsmom Wrote: I love books.  I learned to read at a very young age, thanks to my mom.  She always had a book near, as did my grandmother.
I have a nook, but to me, there is nothing like an actual book.

I will read anything, as long as it gets my attention in the first few pages.  If not, I try to struggle through it, or I just give up and set it aside, to either try again later, or pass it on to someone else.
Yeah, that includes trashy paranormal romance books.  But those I prefer the series ones, but I actually like the character buildup, and the action.  Shelley Laurenston (?) for example.  Also very funny.

I read a lot of metaphysical books, and alternative history books, I guess they might be called? (Conspiratorial?)  I love discussing them as well.
I am currently reading Anunnaki: Gods no more.  (Struggle a bit with all the "who bred with who, keeping the names straight)
I loved all the recommendations I found at ATS, and would love some more.
I have even been able to read a few of the books written by authors over there, and help edit one on a pre-read.
(for some reason, I see a mistake, spelling, space for a missing word, ect. and just can't let it go.  LOL)

So, I hope there are others that love books, and maybe want to discuss them as well, or recommend some, or heck, just complain about them.

I also love to read. I end up reading mostly non-fiction. I do enjoy a good story every now and again though.

I wanted to share my favorite piece of American Literature. This was introduced to me in college and I recommend to all book lovers.

"The Pearl" (1947) by, John Steinbeck

The Pearl is a novella by the American author John Steinbeck. The story, first published in 1947, follows a pearl diver, Kino, and explores man’s purpose as well as greed, defiance of societal norms, and evil.

I have read hundreds of books in my day. This one is still my all time favorite.
The end is a mind ****. You'll love it!
 The Pearl is a novella by the American author John Steinbeck. The story, first published in 1947, follows a pearl diver, Kino, and explores man’s purpose as well as greed, defiance of societal norms, and evil

RE: Books: Reading Them, Writing Them, Discussing Them - sailorsam - 10-30-2023

re-reading Mothman Prophecies.  suits this time of year.

also the Epistle to the Galations in the Bible.