Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
The Fighter That Pulled 9 Gs to Beat A US Stealth Jet - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Technology and Advancements (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Forum: Aviation Developments (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=80)
+--- Thread: The Fighter That Pulled 9 Gs to Beat A US Stealth Jet (/showthread.php?tid=137)

The Fighter That Pulled 9 Gs to Beat A US Stealth Jet - 727Sky - 12-03-2022

I would have liked to fly one of these a few times.

RE: The Fighter That Pulled 9 Gs to Beat A US Stealth Jet - Sol - 12-03-2022

I was working in the Montreal Trudeau airport area yesterday and took my break close to where airplanes land. Air Canada, Air Transat, KLM and others were landing one after the other, in a regular manner and it was awesome to see up close.

But then a jet landed. Military. I was so close; I could see the pilot. Hyper cool !!! I've been to a military base before, saw the jets up close, have even ridden a military chopper but had never seen jets "live"...

Impressed.

RE: The Fighter That Pulled 9 Gs to Beat A US Stealth Jet - 727Sky - 12-03-2022

The smell and the activity on a military flight line is something I will never forget. One morning with a 0 dark thirty launch before others were even out of bed I and my crew walked to the revetment which contained our bird for the day. It was so still and quite I heard the whisper of several mortar rounds inbound and passing over our heads to strike the main runway ... It was dawn with very little light so when the mortars hit the flash bang was not as impressive as one would think.. The 122 rockets were totally different as even the sound of those things coming in would make you want to dig a hole through solid concert to hide in.

RE: The Fighter That Pulled 9 Gs to Beat A US Stealth Jet - EndtheMadnessNow - 12-03-2022

So, the pilot was Capt Pete Maverick? Laughing 

I grew up 1.5 miles outside a SAC B-52 AFB which of course also had many jets that flew at tree-top level right over my house very frequently, several times breaking the sound barrier once they attained higher altitude. Mostly they'd do slow fly-bys which I would stand out on my front lawn and wave to the pilots, and they would wave back. When I was 9 or 10 I got to meet some of the pilots as the flight commander lived just down the street from us. I remember one of them gave me a leather flight jacket with patches, but had to wait till I was 14 when it finally fit. I was so stoked!

But, the jets were nothing compared to the earth shattering B-52's when they went on nuclear drill alert and all took off 30 seconds apart going full throttle just above the tree-tops. My dad a machinist by day and semi-pro photographer on weekends would take me to the end of the B-52 runway and he'd setup his camera/tripod to capture the B-52s taking off. I remember standing in the pickup truck bed and reaching up as they flew over seemingly touching the wheels. I had double hearing protection for those events.

The first several months after we had a house built and moved in was quite traumatizing, but we all got accustomed to the thunder & booms. My parents had baby latches on all the cupboards to keep the dishes/glassware from dropping out & crashing onto the floor. Our family had ear muff protectors hanging on the rack next to our ballcaps. As a little kid that was serious duck 'n cover times and my dad would say, 'if this is for real we got about 20 minutes to say our good-byes'. My middle-school essay report was on how to survive a nuclear attack which I won 2nd place and awarded a trophy by the B-52 air commander. Several years later I joined the Navy to become a fighter pilot, but failed the eye exam, and so became a computer nerd.