Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
The drama of losing a job - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Daily Chit Chat (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Thread: The drama of losing a job (/showthread.php?tid=1288)

Pages: 1 2

The drama of losing a job - dbcowboy - 09-27-2023

Without going into specifics, come Jan 13th, I'll be unemployed.  A contract was not renewed.

So that leaves me to either retire early (which the wife wants) or to take another job as an administrator in another place, another state.

Lexington KY to be exact.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm old enough to retire, even getting my VA rating renewed for disability.

But I'm not sure I want to quit working yet.  Is that weird?  My wife would take over, being a skilled nurse for 30+ years, she makes bank.

With both of us working, we'd make even more.

Though I want to take the time to write my book.

Just rambling thoughts of an old man, fading into his sunset years.

RE: The drama of losing a job - kdog - 09-27-2023

I like Lexington, KY. It's mostly a college town. But plenty of areas close to downtown that are rural A lot of horse country. 

I was 55 when I was laid off, which is our earliest retirement age, rode out unemployment and retired at 56 on a decent pension. 

I have no regrets.

RE: The drama of losing a job - p358 - 09-27-2023

Retire!

Write your book.  Need advice ... just ask.

PSmile

RE: The drama of losing a job - NightskyeB4Dawn - 09-27-2023

(09-27-2023, 02:06 AM)dbcowboy Wrote: Without going into specifics, come Jan 13th, I'll be unemployed.  A contract was not renewed.

So that leaves me to either retire early (which the wife wants) or to take another job as an administrator in another place, another state.

Decisions, decisions.

But I'm not sure I want to quit working yet.  Is that weird?  My wife would take over, being a skilled nurse for 30+ years, she makes bank.

I retired three times. Someone how I kept getting talked into going back to work.

For the last 9 years I have been semi-retired. If you call working 8 to 16 hours a day +, 5 to 6 days a week, semi-retired.

Some of us, just don’t know how to let go.

RE: The drama of losing a job - Schmoe - 09-27-2023

Sorry to hear it, DB.  Just trying to put myself in your shoes, but is your wife happy where she is?  If she could use a change, I say go for Lexington.  Maybe don't live IN Lexington though, a quick peak showed a so-so crime rating, and college towns don't agree with me.

If she's content with where she is, and you guys would be comfortable financially anyway, I'd personally retire.  I'm with you, I wouldn't want to be home all day either.  I'm sure it would be nice for a short while, but along comes cabin fever.

But then you could start a hobby, or continue one.  Either way, you seem to be in a good place in life  thumbsup2

RE: The drama of losing a job - GeauxHomeLittleD - 09-27-2023

Retirement is everything you wished for when you were a teenager but your your knees hurt too bad to actually do any of it.

Lexington is pretty nice, just met Kdog's parents there for lunch last week when they traveled through. Bonus: There's a Bucee's just south of Lexington in Richmond!

RE: The drama of losing a job - 727Sky - 09-27-2023

DC if you can make yourself exercise and write a book then that IMO is good. The Book for the mind and the exercise for the body.. If you retire and find nothing to keep you active you will be dead in a few short years as you probably already know.. 

Lucky your wife is with you as a good life's pardner can keep things interesting. Whatever you do good luck always.

RE: The drama of losing a job - BIAD - 09-27-2023

(09-27-2023, 10:16 AM)727Sky Wrote: DC if you can make yourself exercise and write a book then that IMO is good. The Book for the mind and the exercise for the body.. If you retire and find nothing to keep you active you will be dead in a few short years as you probably already know.. 

Lucky your wife is with you as a good life's pardner can keep things interesting. Whatever you do good luck always.

This is very sound advice, I was fortunate that my mindset from an early age was that work is a necessity for an
agreeable lifestyle, but not the hub of who I am. When answering a drafted Manager who was dealing with my
redundancy where I'd worked for 26 years how long I'd been there, she admitted that she'd only known me for
the twenty minutes of the interview.

Cruel...? possibly. But a simple reality that I thanked her for. The business didn't revolve around me and visa-versa.
Shy

RE: The drama of losing a job - Grace - 09-27-2023

(09-27-2023, 02:06 AM)dbcowboy Wrote: Without going into specifics, come Jan 13th, I'll be unemployed.  A contract was not renewed.

Decisions, decisions.

If your wife is happy in her current job then I'd say don't move. No point dragging her away from where she's happy if there no financial need to do so. 

Retirement isn't as easy as you might think because your mind gets bored - this makes hobbies essential. However, the longer you can keep some good health the better because the better your health the more you can do to keep life interesting. 

I'm with 727Sky on a good exercise regimen, and of course hobbies. Thankfully, in our modern day there's plenty of potential hobbies to choose from, including your writing. 

You can get over the hump of retirement though and enjoy it... it's just another phase of life, it's the initial transfer that's difficult.

(09-27-2023, 10:54 AM)BIAD Wrote: This is very sound advice, I was fortunate that my mindset from an early age was that work is a necessity for an
agreeable lifestyle, but not the hub of who I am. When answering a drafted Manager who was dealing with my
redundancy where I'd worked for 26 years how long I'd been there, she admitted that she'd only known me for
the twenty minutes of the interview.

Cruel...? possibly. But a simple reality that I thanked her for. The business didn't revolve around me and visa-versa.
Shy

I think the beauty of retirement is when you work because you want to, not because you have to.

It is even nicer when the people that sign your paycheck know it.

RE: The drama of losing a job - dbcowboy - 09-27-2023

I do have a Teams interview with Baptist Health in Lexington for an Admin position at their hospital today at 1100

I always like to have options.

Smile

RE: The drama of losing a job - dbcowboy - 09-27-2023

Went well, met with a couple of VP's for about an hour.

Rolleyes

Will just have to wait and see.

(09-27-2023, 03:36 PM)dbcowboy Wrote: I do have a Teams interview with Baptist Health in Lexington for an Admin position at their hospital today at 1100

I always like to have options.

Smile

Never sell yourself short.

It took me years to find out that no one is going to pay you more than what “you” think you are worth. 

I spent decades accepting poorly paid jobs because I thought I was stuck having to accept the pay they were offering.

The first time I bucked at the salary I was being offered, was because I didn’t really want the job anyway. So when they told me what they were offering, I told them, “thank you for the consideration but that I could not accept the position”.

They came back to me and asked me what I would be willing to work for. I told them that how much they valued me and the position was a bigger determining factor than how much I thought the job was worth. I told them to make an offer that showed me what they thought I was worth.

Needless to say, they made me an offer I could not refuse. I just wish I had known my worth years earlier.

RE: The drama of losing a job - Infolurker - 09-27-2023

You would like Lexington.... both Buds and Centerfire Systems are there!

Plenty of "hobbyist" things to do!

https://www.budsgunshop.com/

https://centerfiresystems.com/

RE: The drama of losing a job - dbcowboy - 09-28-2023

AT the very least, I'd be out of Portland.

Laughing

RE: The drama of losing a job - Infolurker - 09-28-2023

Portland?... yeah, I would be moving to Lexington with quickness and a big smile on my face!

RE: The drama of losing a job - Ninurta - 09-28-2023

(09-28-2023, 01:51 AM)dbcowboy Wrote: AT the very least, I'd be out of Portland.

Laughing

I'm not wild about the place you're in, but what I think doesn't matter - it's what YOU and the missus thinks that counts. I do think that even a retirement anywhere else would be better, but your mileage may vary.

I "got" retired at 58. Like you, a contract ended for me, and that was just the end of that. I had moved back here to BE here, and didn't want to move back out into the world to maintain an employment, so here I sat. Like Kdog, I rode out unemployment, took my bonuses and cashed in all the vacation ansd sick time I hadn't taken - which was ALL of it, over 4 years, except for one week, and sat.

And sat.

And sat.

I ain't gonna lie, I got pretty convinced that retirement was not for the faint-hearted. Without work, I had nothing to DO. I had to find stuff to do, just to fill time up. That was when i took up black powder, and this site, and feeble attempts at gardening.

But all that sitting ain't good for you. You've got to find something active to do, too. For example, about a week ago I went into the woods to get some ginseng berries to replant  in a more secure area. On the way back, I jumped a fence, which in the days of my youth was no big deal, and got the surprise of my life. When my feet hit the ground on the other side, I just kept going down. And kept going down. My legs, which had never failed me before, just gave up and collapsed, dumping me face-first and forcefully to the ground.

It's like I entered the twilight zone now. In more ways than one.

So do what makes you happiest, expect a few bumps in the road and plan for them, and stay physically active to keep your muscle tone reasonable. Get a hobby. Get a FEW hobbies. Not working any more leaves you feeling a bit lost for a while, as all you've known all your life is mostly gone, and there is a vaccuum that needs to be filled with something, or else you just stay lost.

If you do move, let us know. The boy works in Pikeville. We might take a ride to work with him one day, and keep on going to Lexington. We can do a lunch.

RE: The drama of losing a job - dbcowboy - 09-28-2023

I'd like lunch and will keep everyone informed of whats going on.

It's actually nice to talk about it.

Ya'll might even get to meet the missus who's kept me in line for decades.

Smile

RE: The drama of losing a job - Schmoe - 09-29-2023

(09-28-2023, 11:36 PM)dbcowboy Wrote: I'd like lunch and will keep everyone informed of whats going on.

Smile

That must be some woman  Laughing

I forgot to ask, what's your book going to be about?

RE: The drama of losing a job - dbcowboy - 09-29-2023

(09-29-2023, 12:08 AM)Schmoe Wrote:
(09-28-2023, 11:36 PM)dbcowboy Wrote: I'd like lunch and will keep everyone informed of whats going on.

Smile

That must be some woman  Laughing

I forgot to ask, what's your book going to be about?

Death gets kidnapped by a criminal organization.

Hillarity ensues. . . . . 

Nothing more.

Am working on it.