Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Florida car insurance - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Daily Chit Chat (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Thread: Florida car insurance (/showthread.php?tid=1196)

Florida car insurance - ancientlight - 08-27-2023

Hi all. 

I have to change my stupid car insurance. I stupidly agreed to one of these tracking devices , in order to get a discount, and the discount never showed up . I just wanted to see some savings. It's a breach of privacy and a scam obviously.

So, I'm also paying too much and want to switch asap.  I also have an umbrella and renters policy with this company (statefarm).

So any suggestions? I hate that any insurance agent will immediatly want to see all statefarm documents before even looking for anything. Is there any way to avoid that?

Thanks

RE: Florida car insurance - 727Sky - 08-27-2023

There is none better than USAA IMO however you have to either be X-military or have a family member who is. They do auto and even house hold and have always been cheaper than other places I have read about..

RE: Florida car insurance - Ninurta - 08-27-2023

I'm not in Florida, and so cannot recommend another insurance company because I don't know who is licensed  to do business there, but why on Earth would another insurance company be asking for the State Farm documents? I'll be damned if I'd give them up, no matter how innocuous they may be - if I don't start giving in to such outrageous demands, then I'll never get caught up in the vicious circle of giving in to outrageous demands.

I was "undocumented" for several years (no driver's license, no state or Federal ID, no "personhood"), and so had no insurance of any kind, but when I got licensed again and bought a car and needed insurance, they never asked me about previous insurances - if they had, I'd have told them to go pound salt up their asses while I was looking for another insurance company to do business with!

As an aside, you'll never know the ignominy involved in having to get a learner's permit all over again in your 50's, as if you were a teenager!

RE: Florida car insurance - ancientlight - 08-27-2023

(08-27-2023, 04:04 AM)Ninurta Wrote: I'm not in Florida, and so cannot recommend another insurance company because I don't know who is licensed  to do business there, but why on Earth would another insurance company be asking for the State Farm documents? I'll be damned if I'd give them up, no matter how innocuous they may be - if I don't start giving in to such outrageous demands, then I'll never get caught up in the vicious circle of giving in to outrageous demands.

I was "undocumented" for several years (no driver's license, no state or Federal ID, no "personhood"), and so had no insurance of any kind, but when I got licensed again and bought a car and needed insurance, they never asked me about previous insurances - if they had, I'd have told them to go pound salt up their asses while I was looking for another insurance company to do business with!

As an aside, you'll never know the ignominy involved in having to get a learner's permit all over again in your 50's, as if you were a teenager!

I will tell them to pound sand next time  Laughing I hate having to go through all this hassle , changing insurance again, it takes months sometimes , emailing back and forth( hate calling).

RE: Florida car insurance - Infolurker - 08-27-2023

I would check USAA or Farm Bureau if you have that in Florida.

https://www.fbfs.com/

https://www.usaa.com/

Don't go through "an agent", they will rip you off.

RE: Florida car insurance - GeauxHomeLittleD - 08-27-2023

I've never been asked to hand over documents from previous or current insurance when changing to a different insurance company- neither in Kentucky nor in Texas. Something don't sound right with that.

RE: Florida car insurance - ancientlight - 08-27-2023

(08-27-2023, 05:52 AM)Infolurker Wrote: I would check USAA or Farm Bureau if you have that in Florida.

https://www.fbfs.com/

https://www.usaa.com/

Don't go through "an agent", they will rip you off.
Oke thanks. I'm not military or have any military family, but I will look around and avoid agents.

RE: Florida car insurance - SomeJackleg - 08-27-2023

(08-27-2023, 03:24 AM)ancientlight Wrote: Hi all. 

I have to change my stupid car insurance. I stupidly agreed to one of these tracking devices , in order to get a discount, and the discount never showed up . I just wanted to see some savings. It's a breach of privacy and a scam obviously.

So, I'm also paying too much and want to switch asap.  I also have an umbrella and renters policy with this company (statefarm).

So any suggestions? I hate that any insurance agent will immediatly want to see all statefarm documents before even looking for anything. Is there any way to avoid that?

Thanks

my family has used Dairyland for about 30 years, never had any problems and rates have always been reasonable. hell back in 98 i had a 96 sliverdo LT trim package, rolled it on interstate and it was totaled. they paid it off and i had enough to put a down payment left on 97 4 wheel drive GMC sierra SL trim package. i still drive it and only carry what some would call liability and it's only 80 bucks a month. not bad for four drivers and one under 18.

here's a review, i know some don't trust these, but most fit what my parents, brothers and my family have experienced.

Dairyland® insurance  4.5 stars Excellent

RE: Florida car insurance - Ninurta - 08-28-2023

(08-27-2023, 03:13 PM)SomeJackleg Wrote: my family has used Dairyland for about 30 years, never had any problems and rates have always been reasonable. hell back in 98 i had a 96 sliverdo LT trim package, rolled it on interstate and it was totaled. they paid it off and i had enough to put a down payment left on 97 4 wheel drive GMC sierra SL trim package. i still drive it and only carry what some would call liability and it's only 80 bucks a month. not bad for four drivers and one under 18.

here's a review, i know some don't trust these, but most fit what my parents, brothers and my family have experienced.

Dairyland® insurance  4.5 stars Excellent

I can recommend Dairyland too, if they are available in Florida. That's who I have, and it's who I've had since I started driving again. Had once clusterfuck wreck where a guy had been fixing my Jeep, and was bringing it to me at work, and a gal at work went ripping through the parking lot like a bat out of hell and rammed the right front corner of it. Only scratched the bumper of the  Jeep, but it balled her car up like a wad of tinfoil. So her ma filed a claim against ME, even though it was her daughter that rammed my jeep, and the insurance adjuster handled it like a pro - I sent annotated satellite photos of the parking lot to her, told her how it happened, and gave her the repair guy's number to confirm what I was saying, and she just denied the claim. No problem, no rate raise.

I dunno what that woman was thinking filing against me when it was her daughter at fault, but it got handled with no fuss. I never filed against her, because hell, if your Jeep doesn't have a scratch here and there, is it even a Jeep? I've had worse from passing tree branches.

RE: Florida car insurance - ancientlight - 08-28-2023

Thanks. I checked out Dairyland, but unfortunately they seem located in Wisconsin.

RE: Florida car insurance - Ninurta - 08-28-2023

(08-28-2023, 03:17 PM)ancientlight Wrote: Thanks. I checked out Dairyland, but unfortunately they seem located in Wisconsin.

They may be licensed in Florida all the same. While they are  located in Wisconsin, I am in Virginia and they are licensed to do business here, just like State Farm, Progressive, and Farm Bureau is.

RE: Florida car insurance - Snarl - 08-28-2023

(08-27-2023, 03:24 AM)ancientlight Wrote: Hi all. 

Thanks

Maybe @"NightskyeB4Dawn"#10 has better/current info.

I carried State Farm for years down there ... but, it was for the farm. They were always a pretty good agent. They're not in the same league as USAA (as @"Infolurker"#107 suggests) for personal vehicle coverage. Too bad you don't qualify.

My brother says GEICO is okay if you don't have to carry full coverage.

Florida's got some BS going on that heavily penalizes you if you let your policy lapse. That's what they're looking for with your old insurance documents.

Let me tell you, if you let your insurance lapse with State Farm ... renew it ASAP and avoid the beating you'll take otherwise. That happened to my daughter while she was living there attending university ... back when she was a dumbass. Took her a long long time to see the light.

Yeah ... insurance is a big-time racket. I hope you're good-to-go.

RE: Florida car insurance - SomeJackleg - 08-29-2023

(08-28-2023, 03:17 PM)ancientlight Wrote: Thanks. I checked out Dairyland, but unfortunately they seem located in Wisconsin.

i live in flordia. currently carrying coverage on three vehicles. you might have to find them through a agent. but they are writing policies.

might want to look for a agent that carries sentry to, they are the parent company of dairyland and see if they carry dairyland.

RE: Florida car insurance - Snarl - 08-29-2023

(08-27-2023, 03:13 PM)SomeJackleg Wrote: '97 4 wheel drive GMC sierra SL trim package. i still drive it and only carry what some would call liability and it's only 80 bucks a month. not bad for four drivers and one under 18.

I forgot all about 'extra' drivers in a household (esp under 18).  Laughing

That is a _very_ good rate you've got going there. I carry liability level only on my passenger vehicles too. One can do that if they truly drive to avoid collisions.

USAA charges $362/yr for my 4X4 and $334/yr for the wife's sedan. Just us two listed as drivers. 0 claims, 0 tickets and less than 4,000 miles/yr.

If you ask me ... it's still a rip-off.

RE: Florida car insurance - SomeJackleg - 08-29-2023

(08-29-2023, 02:18 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-27-2023, 03:13 PM)SomeJackleg Wrote: '97 4 wheel drive GMC sierra SL trim package. i still drive it and only carry what some would call liability and it's only 80 bucks a month. not bad for four drivers and one under 18.

I forgot all about 'extra' drivers in a household (esp under 18).  Laughing

That is a _very_ good rate you've got going there. I carry liability level only on my passenger vehicles too. One can do that if they truly drive to avoid collisions.

USAA charges $362/yr for my 4X4 and $334/yr for the wife's sedan. Just us two listed as drivers. 0 claims, 0 tickets and less than 4,000 miles/yr.

If you ask me ... it's still a rip-off.

$960 a yr for just liability is not real bad and not real good. covers,my wife, me, my brother, and my mom. all safe drivers, all under 65 except my mom she's 78, rates started going up a few years back with her on it because of her age. been thinking taking her off cause she doesn't drive much anymore if ever. we take her where ever she needs to go.

we're all also covered on her car with full coverage on 2011 impla. for full coverage which we've been trying to tell her she doesn't need for years is $2076 and change a year. she had me check last week if we take her off and switch to liability what it would be, it will drop to $715 and change. she bout had a heart attack, and said even though she doesn't like the idea that she can't hop in the car and go when she wants or has to, 1400 dollars savings is to much to pass up. she said she's still gonna keep her licenses and car as long as she can, makes her feel like she isn't completely dependent on us. gonna change hers next month.