Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Daily Chit Chat (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Thread: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. (/showthread.php?tid=1147)

I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - Schmoe - 08-15-2023

I'm good for one sting every summer.  It's been a yellowjacket every. fucking. time.

Today at work, I had my arms up, setting up a machine, and one flew right into my sleeve.  I didn't even feel it until I put my arm down, and I thought, huh, maybe a metal splinter got stuck in my shirt, and then my arm was on fire.

I naturally slapped the shit out of my arm, and out tumbles fuckface onto the floor where it was enthusiastically stomped.

The weird thing is, each time the sting has felt different.  A few summers ago I was up a ladder, and one landed on my elbow, and of course stung me.  It felt electric, like somebody dropped a stun gun onto my arm for a split second.  It left a welt, but the pain was gone in a half hour.

Last summer, one tagged my leg, and it felt like somebody flicked a cigarette cherry onto my leg.  It burned for 20 minutes, and was gone.

Today, this one got me good.  This one felt like somebody tossed a staple remover into a fire for a minute, took it out, and pinched my arm.  This was now 8 hours ago and it's still throbbing slightly.  Maybe it's because of where it got me.  Inside of my arm, 2 inches above my armpit.  That's tender.

Anyway, fuck yellowjackets.

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - Snarl - 08-15-2023

(08-15-2023, 06:54 AM)Schmoe Wrote: I'm good for one sting every summer.  It's been a yellowjacket every. fucking. time.

Today at work, I had my arms up, setting up a machine, and one flew right into my sleeve.  I didn't even feel it until I put my arm down, and I thought, huh, maybe a metal splinter got stuck in my shirt, and then my arm was on fire.

I naturally slapped the shit out of my arm, and out tumbles fuckface onto the floor where it was enthusiastically stomped.

The weird thing is, each time the sting has felt different.  A few summers ago I was up a ladder, and one landed on my elbow, and of course stung me.  It felt electric, like somebody dropped a stun gun onto my arm for a split second.  It left a welt, but the pain was gone in a half hour.

Last summer, one tagged my leg, and it felt like somebody flicked a cigarette cherry onto my leg.  It burned for 20 minutes, and was gone.

Today, this one got me good.  This one felt like somebody tossed a staple remover into a fire for a minute, took it out, and pinched my arm.  This was now 8 hours ago and it's still throbbing slightly.  Maybe it's because of where it got me.  Inside of my arm, 2 inches above my armpit.  That's tender.

I ought'a invite you by for a beer. Wink

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - Schmoe - 08-15-2023

(08-15-2023, 10:51 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-15-2023, 06:54 AM)Schmoe Wrote: I'm good for one sting every summer.  It's been a yellowjacket every. fucking. time.

I ought'a invite you by for a beer. Wink

I'll take one, thanks.  The throbbing was gone when I woke up today.  That prick won the battle, but lost the war.  Why can't they just have my attitude of "don't start none, won't be none?"

I should also mention that the bastard that tagged my leg last year, there was a nest of them.  I had to walk by it if I didn't want to divert my route by a half mile, and did so every day, incident-free, until the 30th time I walked by it, I guess one woke up and decided it was gonna be a dick that day.  Or maybe somebody else walked by it and riled them up somehow.

Not making excuses for them, still, fuck yellowjackets  Laughing

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - F2d5thCav - 08-15-2023

They are a P I T A.  Especially in August.

Got stung by seven of them when I was a kid.  Crawling down into my socks etc.  Nasty.

Cheers

(08-15-2023, 05:03 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: They are a P I T A.  Especially in August.

Got stung by seven of them when I was a kid.  Crawling down into my socks etc.  Nasty.

Cheers

Oof!  I think I'll start killing them indiscriminately, along with flies.  They can all go back to hell.  Other wasps have never bothered me.  I've had nests of paper wasps, they couldn't care less that I was there.  I left them alone, they left me alone.  Same with mud daubers, I know they're out to get spiders, so I leave them be, and they do the same.  Yellowjackets are just douchebags, apparently.

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - Ninurta - 08-15-2023

I agree, whole-heartedly. FUCK yellow jackets, the irascible little bastards! One of my greatest pleasures in life is locating a nest of them, waiting for nightfall, and then sneaking out and then pouring a whole gallon of gasoline down into the nest.

It usually works, but not always. A hive of them built a nest by the edge of a creek bank when I lived in NC, and the spring rains caused a landslide that took half the nest downstream. The half that was left in the creek bank looked to me like it went about 12 feet deep, and was around 7 feet wide.

I think that one would have taken more than a gallon of gas to kill off.

(08-15-2023, 08:13 PM)Ninurta Wrote: I agree, whole-heartedly. FUCK yellow jackets, the irascible little bastards! One of my greatest pleasures in life is locating a nest of them, waiting for nightfall, and then sneaking out and then pouring a whole gallon of gasoline down into the nest.

It usually works, but not always. A hive of them built a nest by the edge of a creek bank when I lived in NC, and the spring rains caused a landslide that took half the nest downstream. The half that was left in the creek bank looked to me like it went about 12 feet deep, and was around 7 feet wide.

I think that one would have taken more than a gallon of gas to kill off.

Jesus, 12 feet, I'd have never guessed they dug that deep.  That's a napalm job, I think.  Not sure if it's true or not, but apparently if you stomp or squash them, a pheromone is released to alert other yellowjackets that you are an asshole, and need to be stung repeatedly.  Thank God I wasn't near a nest apparently, must have been a yellowjacket flying solo.

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - EndtheMadnessNow - 08-15-2023

They are aggressive, vicious bastards indeed! Going to war on these yellow bandits requires a flame thrower and you cannot battle them during daytime, unless you crave torture & pain. Far worse is being nailed by a Tarantula hawk wasp. Pain is equivalent to being shot in the arm with a .45 pistol at point blank range. Considered by some insect experts to be the most painful sting in the world. Luckily, the excruciating pain only lasts 5-10 minutes, speaking from personal horror experience. They sound like an Apache helo when they come into your patio or campground. Though, unlike yellow-jackets they are non-aggressive.

(08-15-2023, 08:45 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: They are aggressive, vicious bastards indeed! Going to war on these yellow bandits requires a flame thrower and you cannot battle them during daytime, unless you crave torture & pain. Far worse is being nailed by a Tarantula hawk wasp. Pain is equivalent to being shot in the arm with a .45 pistol at point blank range. Considered by some insect experts to be the most painful sting in the world. Luckily, the excruciating pain only lasts 5-10 minutes, speaking from personal horror experience. They sound like an Apache helo when they come into your patio or campground. Though, unlike yellow-jackets they are non-aggressive.

Yikes.  I can't imagine the pain from the sting of one of those fuckers.  How did you get stung by one?  I've had paper wasps, cicada killers, spider wasps, even bald-faced hornets fly near me and completely ignore me.  Are the tarantula hawks more aggressive towards people than other spider wasps, such as the smaller black ones?

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - F2d5thCav - 08-16-2023

Another unpleasant bit about the YJ's is that they like crawling on our food.

Well, guess what else they eat?  Flies.  And we all know what flies like to crawl on.  Barf.

Cheers

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - Schmoe - 08-16-2023

(08-16-2023, 07:19 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Another unpleasant bit about the YJ's is that they like crawling on our food.

Well, guess what else they eat?  Flies.  And we all know what flies like to crawl on.  Barf.

Cheers

I didn't know they ate flies.  One of those instances where the enemy of my enemy ISN'T my friend.

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - quintessentone - 08-16-2023

Next time put out a sugary drink which will attract them away from you. I know for a fact they love orange cream soda...it's like narcotics to them. I think I've been stung twice in my very long life, once I accidently stepped bare footed on a bumble bee...my fault. Second was at an outdoor party where the yellow jackets seemed to prefer my area for some reason...I was stung on the thigh and the promptly left the party.

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - Schmoe - 08-16-2023

(08-16-2023, 03:25 PM)quintessentone Wrote:

Next time put out a sugary drink which will attract them away from you. I know for a fact they love orange cream soda...it's like narcotics to them. I think I've been stung twice in my very long life, once I accidently stepped bare footed on a bumble bee...my fault. Second was at an outdoor party where the yellow jackets seemed to prefer my area for some reason...I was stung on the thigh and the promptly left the party.

That could work, but then you're also giving them something to defend.  

My wife only got stung once in her life, and just like you, it was the bottom of her foot as she walked across the lawn to the pool.  I don't envy getting stung there  Laughing

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - quintessentone - 08-16-2023

(08-16-2023, 04:15 PM)Schmoe Wrote:

My wife only got stung once in her life, and just like you, it was the bottom of her foot as she walked across the lawn to the pool.  I don't envy getting stung there  Laughing

It was a bad sting but I felt worse for the death of the bee.

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - F2d5thCav - 08-16-2023

@Schmoe

My father used to push out a small dish with a bit of beer in it.  The YJs drowned themselves in it.

Cheers

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - Schmoe - 08-17-2023

(08-16-2023, 04:17 PM)quintessentone Wrote:

If it was a bee, sure, I'd feel bad too.  But I'm officially at war with yellowjackets.  They will rue the day they fucked with Schmoe  Laughing

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - quintessentone - 08-17-2023

(08-17-2023, 01:48 AM)Schmoe Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 04:17 PM)quintessentone Wrote:

If it was a bee, sure, I'd feel bad too.  But I'm officially at war with yellowjackets.  They will rue the day they fucked with Schmoe  Laughing

It was definitely a bumbler, I remember it like it was yesterday.

RE: I Can't Make it Through a Summer Without Being Stung. - Kenzo - 08-17-2023

Asian hornets can stung multible times Wink

Asian Hornet, Cousin Of Infamous Murder Hornet, Found In United States For First Time Ever