Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
YESSSS! Auto warranty robocaller hit with nearly $300M fine from FCC - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: General and Breaking News Events (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: General News and/or Events (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: YESSSS! Auto warranty robocaller hit with nearly $300M fine from FCC (/showthread.php?tid=1113)

YESSSS! Auto warranty robocaller hit with nearly $300M fine from FCC - Infolurker - 08-06-2023

About time. Now go after the student loan, Medicare, and the police association spam calls. I don't know about you but I am on the "Do Not Call List" and still get an average of 5-10 of these a damned day. You can't block them because they will just call you over and over and over and over again from multiple originating numbers.

Get Them All !!!!!!  Fine them a Billion a month if they continue their operation! 300 million is not enough if they can make more than that.

Auto warranty robocaller hit with nearly $300M fine from FCC

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/auto-warranty-robocaller-hit-nearly-300m-fine-fcc

Quote:The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) just gave an operation engaging in illegal robocalling a massive penalty, setting a new record with the size of the fine.

The agency said Thursday it hit the enterprise, which did business under a slew of names, with the "record-breaking fine" for auto warranty scam robocalls made over three months in 2021. The fine amounted to $299,997,000, according to the FCC. 
Its issuance came over seven months after the FCC first proposed it against the "largest illegal robocall operation the agency has ever investigated."
[b]STATES SUE TELECOM COMPANY ACCUSED OF MAKING BILLIONS OF ROBOCALLS TO PEOPLE ON DO NOT CALL REGISTRY[/b]
The FCC accused the enterprise of committing violations such as "making pre-recorded voice calls to mobile phones without prior express consent, placing telemarketing calls without written consent, dialing numbers included on the National Do Not Call Registry, failing to identify the caller at the start of the message, and failing to provide a call-back number that allowed consumers to opt out of future calls," according to the agency. 

On the Federal Trade Commission’s website, it said over 221 million phone numbers are listed the National Do Not Call Registry. 

The robocaller has been hit with allegations of "using misleading caller ID to disguise the enterprise’s role and prompt consumers to answer" as well, the FCC alleged.

The enterprise’s alleged scheme involved conducting over 5 billion robocalls with over 1 million caller ID numbers, according to the FCC. The agency said over 500 million unsuspecting phone numbers received those scam calls. 

RE: YESSSS! Auto warranty robocaller hit with nearly $300M fine from FCC - Snarl - 08-06-2023

I hope this sends a wake-up message to the rest of the spam callers. That's my phone I bought for my personal use ... not so they could pester me.

Am willing to bet this'll be the _best_ news that'll show up on the boards today.

RE: YESSSS! Auto warranty robocaller hit with nearly $300M fine from FCC - Ninurta - 08-06-2023

I personally just don't answer calls from numbers I don't know, whatever the number is or claims to be. If it's not a recognized number of a friend or relative, it just goes unanswered. There is no one I need to talk to whose number I don't know.

A few years ago, I took a call from one of those IRS scammers trying to get me to send them gift cards or some such shit. So I asked what happens if I tell them to just go pound salt up their asses, and they replied that they'd send the sheriff around to arrest me. That was a godsend! I then told them to go ahead and send the sheriff, and I'd give HIM the money they claimed I owed when he showed up at my door, and hung up on their dumb asses.

Strangely, the sheriff never came around to collect my alleged "back taxes". It was at that point that I just stopped answering strange numbers. Anyone that needs to talk to me knows where I live, and knows not to just drop in out of the blue and after dark. It works pretty well for me.