Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
‘We Have a Problem’: Georgia Legislature’s First Black Republican Woman Explains Why - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Rogue Politics (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Forum: Political news and more (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: ‘We Have a Problem’: Georgia Legislature’s First Black Republican Woman Explains Why (/showthread.php?tid=1034)

‘We Have a Problem’: Georgia Legislature’s First Black Republican Woman Explains Why - Infolurker - 07-22-2023

A good summary of "Why" a Democrat switched sides. The teachers union and the hypocrisy of the DNC. If you don't fall in line lockstep with "ALL" of their positions, you are the enemy. I like to understand the reasons myself.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/13/politics/georgia-lawmaker-party-switch-democrat-republican/index.html

Quote:Shortly after her news conference, she tweeted, “I represent a blue district in the city of Atlanta so this wasn’t a political decision for me. It was a a MORAL one. I will NEVER apologize for being a black woman with a mind of my own.”

Democrats called the flip a betrayal, pointing to the deep-blue district Mainor was elected to represent.

A two-term member, Mainor had come under fire by members of the Democratic Party this session after voting with Republicans on a number of issues, including on police budgets and an oversight commission for prosecutors.

She was the lone Democrat to vote for a failed bill on private school vouchers, which prompted a then-fellow Atlanta Democrat – State Senator Josh McLaurin – to tweet, “All I need is a name,” with a photo of a blank check for $1,000 for a primary challenger in Mainor’s district.

“The harassment and intimidation is much bigger than three votes,” said Mainor, surrounded by a handful of supporters and the state GOP chairman, at her announcement. “It’s about fear, fear of an outsider coming to the capitol working for the people she came up here to serve.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/we-have-a-problem-georgia-legislatures-first-black-republican-woman-explains-why-she-switched-parties/

Quote:The life-long Democrat announced her decision to join the Republican Party on Tuesday, making her the first black Republican woman to serve in the Georgia assembly. Democrats have “mutilated” and “sabotaged” the representative since her appointment in 2020, Mainor said, while Republicans have supported her.

“It was always exceptionally easy to deal with the Republicans. Everything that I wanted to do was for my community and I remember speaker pro tempore Jan Jones saying one day, ‘I want to help you since you actually want to help your community.’ That was not taken the same way from the Democrats.”

Mainor broke with fellow Democrats on several issues during her time in the legislature, including police funding and prosecutorial oversight, but it was her vocal support for school choice that led to “harassment and intimidation” from her colleagues.

Although she’s faced scrutiny from Democrats in the legislature — state senator Josh McLaurin is offering $1,000 to anyone willing to challenge Mainor — the representative said her constituents have been supportive.

“I am running on what my community wants,” she said. “What my community wants are the things that the Republicans are pushing — they just don’t know that the Democrats do not support what they want.”

Mainor’s goal hasn’t changed with her party designation: She still wants to make Georgians in the 56th district as independent as possible. Although Democrats called Mainor’s decision a “stinging betrayal” to her deep-blue district, which voted for Joe Biden by an almost 90 percent margin in the 2020 election, Mainor won her previous two elections on a school-choice platform.

“My district has the most charter schools in any other district in the state of Georgia. My district already is quite upset with the current state of the public school system,” she added.

Students in her district can’t perform simple math, Mainor said, and many teachers are resigning because they are graduating students who don’t know how to read.

Sixteen Republicans — six of whom were endorsed by teachers’ unions — in rural districts voted against Georgia’s school-choice bill in May. Mainor was the only Democrat who broke party lines to vote for the measure, which failed by four votes.

“I think my switch to the party is not only showing [my] colleagues and showing America in Georgia that we have a problem on our hands,” she said. “We are no longer beholden to the teachers union. The teachers are not the problem, it’s the teachers’ unions and the bureaucracy that they are uplifting. We can no longer be beholden to the superintendents — of course superintendents don’t want elected officials to support school choice.”

Now that Republicans have a stronger majority, the representative hopes that education will be a winning factor in the next election.

“Elected leaders are forgetting that parents are their voters,” she said.

Several blue lawmakers in Georgia who “say they are diverse and inclusive” proved to Mainor after her announcement that, “diversity and inclusion have some limits.” State democrats have attacked Mainor as a “narcissist,” and the Democratic Party of Georgia said that Mainor’s decision serves “personal political ambitions” instead of her constituents.

But Mainor says her Christian faith has allowed her to brush off the attacks.

“Politics is such a rapidly moving environment, with lots of different characters,” Mainor said. “I am very rooted in who I am. Even with this decision — the social media posts, the emails that I’m getting — people are vile. It does not bother me, you can call me anything you want. I know who I am. [My faith] has prepared me to handle the backlash because I only answer to one person. And that’s not even a person — I only answer to the Alpha and the Omega, and everything else is taken care of.”

RE: ‘We Have a Problem’: Georgia Legislature’s First Black Republican Woman Explains Why - 727Sky - 07-23-2023

If I had a sister I would rather tell people she is a low priced hooker with aids in Las Vegas than tell someone she is a democrat..

RE: ‘We Have a Problem’: Georgia Legislature’s First Black Republican Woman Explains Why - Infolurker - 07-25-2023

(07-23-2023, 10:15 PM)727Sky Wrote: If I had a sister I would rather tell people she is a low priced hooker with aids in Las Vegas than tell someone she is a democrat..

Doesn't the first generally indicate the second? Not that the second generally indicates the first but you know.