Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Celtic Music - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Guohua's Lounge (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: Rogue-Nation's Music and Media Den (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=122)
+--- Thread: Celtic Music (/showthread.php?tid=85)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Celtic Music - DaphneApollo - 11-21-2022

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeju8DCEWxIlwoepX161B...w&usqp=CAU]

The Galway Rover (arr. N. McLoughlin)

Celtic, Scottish, Irish, Welsh....

Irish folk music - King of the fairies

RE: Celtic Music - EndtheMadnessNow - 11-21-2022

RE: Celtic Music - DaphneApollo - 11-22-2022

[Image: giphy.gif]
Celtic folk music - Celtica

RE: Celtic Music - Ninurta - 11-22-2022

RE: Celtic Music - Ninurta - 11-22-2022

Eluveite is a Swiss gruop, and the name means "Helvetti". The Helvetians were a mainland Celt group famous for a migration in the 5th century BC. Some of their songs are sung in a reconstructed version of Helvetian.

It's also one of the few bands that still has a hurdy-gurdy player in it. Matter of fact, it's the only one I know of that a hurdy-gurdy can be heard in.

There is a guy who "sings" in the group whose singing leaves something to be desired - it's more of a croaking, screaming, growling discordant noise than it is any sort of singing. I've heard bears shitting in the woods that made more melodious rackets. It's hard to find one of their songs that he is not croaking in, and if he's got more than half of the voice parts, I just pass on the song. Not worth the effort or the bleeding ears produced by trying to listen to it.

Still, some of their songs grab something deep inside me and give it a stout shaking. Some bring a tear to my eye, and I have no clue at all as to why.

"Gwydion" was a Welsh sorcerer, a major player in one of the Four Branches of the Mabinogi.

Epona is the Celtic goddess of horses.

"Omnos" is the tale of a teenage girl who meets a shape-shifting wolf-boy in the woods, and thinks she is in love with him. He of course, is just in it to get laid, and once the deed is done he tells her he doesn't love her, and takes off, leaving her with the urge to drown herself on a pool. This is one of the ones ssung in Helvetian - 

RE: Celtic Music - DaphneApollo - 11-25-2022

Imelda May - Kentish Town Waltz (Official Video)

RE: Celtic Music - EndtheMadnessNow - 11-27-2022

Celtic Woman - Tír na nÓg ft. Oonagh (Land of the young)

Colm McGuinness - The Foggy Dew (Irish War Song)

RE: Celtic Music - Ninurta - 11-27-2022

An old Irish ballad going back to around the 1600's. It's been done near to death by everyone, up to and including Metallica, but this is still my favorite version of it:

RE: Celtic Music - DaphneApollo - 12-05-2022

@Ninurta you put some good posts and info.

RE: Celtic Music - wtbengineer - 12-06-2022

(11-21-2022, 12:16 AM)DaphneApollo Wrote:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeju8DCEWxIlwoepX161B...w&usqp=CAU]

The Galway Rover (arr. N. McLoughlin)

Celtic, Scottish, Irish, Welsh....

Irish folk music - King of the fairies

Thanks for posting!  That is some wonderful music.  I'm building a wire strung harp in the style of one of the old highland harps, been working on it here and there for 2 years now.  The body is a direct copy of the Downhill Harp but the neck and pillar are of my own design decorated with dragon motifs.  This has just been a hobby thing, somehow got interested in harps right around Christmastime 2 years ago, but it's going to be really something.  I'll post some pics of what I have so far if anyone is interested to see.  Anyway, the music inspired me to share.

RE: Celtic Music - DaphneApollo - 12-06-2022

@wtbengineer. I would like to see pics of your harp project.

RE: Celtic Music - wtbengineer - 12-07-2022

(12-06-2022, 01:23 PM)DaphneApollo Wrote: @wtbengineer. I would like to see pics of your harp project.

Thanks for the interest, as soon as I can figure out the best way to upload some pics I'll post them.

RE: Celtic Music - wtbengineer - 12-10-2022

(12-07-2022, 02:44 AM)wtbengineer Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 01:23 PM)DaphneApollo Wrote: @wtbengineer. I would like to see pics of your harp project.

Thanks for the interest, as soon as I can figure out the best way to upload some pics I'll post them.

Hopefully that worked.  These are just a few pics of mainly the body with soundboard and one pic of some detail on the top of the neck.  There's lot's more I could post but I wanted to make sure it works.  Fingers crossed.

Oh well, I took a look and it seems that one pic was duplicated and another didn't make it here. This is what it is for now.

RE: Celtic Music - DaphneApollo - 12-10-2022

(12-10-2022, 04:21 AM)wtbengineer Wrote:

Hopefully that worked.  These are just a few pics of mainly the body with soundboard and one pic of some detail on the top of the neck.  There's lot's more I could post but I wanted to make sure it works.  Fingers crossed.

Oh well, I took a look and it seems that one pic was duplicated and another didn't make it here.  This is what it is for now.

That’s very nice.  The flower inlays are pretty.  ? I don’t see any Dragons?   Smile

RE: Celtic Music - wtbengineer - 12-10-2022

(12-10-2022, 10:58 AM)DaphneApollo Wrote:
(12-10-2022, 04:21 AM)wtbengineer Wrote:

Oh well, I took a look and it seems that one pic was duplicated and another didn't make it here.  This is what it is for now.

That’s very nice.  The flower inlays are pretty.  ? I don’t see any Dragons?   Smile

Haha, yeah, the dragon motifs are on the neck and pillar.  Somehow the pic of the neck I tried to attach didn't work.  I'll try again.  This is just a shot of the top of the neck where a tail emerges and curls around.  I'll take another picture later that shows the dragon head at the end of the neck... still unfinished though.    

RE: Celtic Music - EndtheMadnessNow - 12-11-2022

Celtica Pipes Rock live at Montelago 2017

Celtic Woman / Enya - Orinoco Flow In Live With Orchestra

RE: Celtic Music - Ninurta - 12-11-2022

Yes, one of those pipers is actually from India - Archy Jay, "The Snake Charmer". Only one, Jane Espie, "The Phantom Piper", is Scottish - she's also the bored saleslady at the beginning of the video, The customer is Chelsea Joy, "Dame of Drones" from the US.

RE: Celtic Music - A51Watcher2 - 12-11-2022

Aye a fan of the pipes and drums I am so let's have a go at this shall we?

RE: Celtic Music - A51Watcher2 - 12-11-2022

RE: Celtic Music - Ninurta - 12-11-2022

Here ya go - pipes and drums, in combination with a Mongolian Throat Singer on a horse-head fiddle, which only has two strings - I guess Mongolians must be impoverished to only be able to afford two strings on their fiddles, but they manage.

East meets West. Diversity in action!

That odd humming whistle at the end is made entirely in Batzorig Vaanchig's throat. That's the essence of "throat singing", some kind of arcane diatonic stuff going on with the sound waves his throat produces interacting with each other to produce a third tone.