Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
0:02 / 10:23 Sniper Bullet that Can Hit Any Spot Exactly (From 10-miles Away) - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Firearms & Related Topics (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=101)
+--- Thread: 0:02 / 10:23 Sniper Bullet that Can Hit Any Spot Exactly (From 10-miles Away) (/showthread.php?tid=222)

0:02 / 10:23 Sniper Bullet that Can Hit Any Spot Exactly (From 10-miles Away) - Bally002 - 12-28-2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv6RJB3kak8

Exacto Bullet.  Found this.  Hope this works.

Precision guided bullet.

DAARPA

Sorry, can only post link,

Regards,

Bally

RE: 0:02 / 10:23 Sniper Bullet that Can Hit Any Spot Exactly (From 10-miles Away) - Ninurta - 12-28-2022

How odd. I was on the phone with Brotherman just last night, and this exact topic arose and I had never heard of it. Is that what they call a "synchronicity"?

Whenever new military tech like this comes up, I immediately set about figuring out how to defeat it, just in case I'm ever on the receiving end. I've got IR drones figured out, but this may take a bit longer...

RE: 0:02 / 10:23 Sniper Bullet that Can Hit Any Spot Exactly (From 10-miles Away) - Bally002 - 12-28-2022

(12-28-2022, 04:57 PM)Ninurta Wrote: How odd. I was on the phone with Brotherman just last night, and this exact topic arose and I had never heard of it. Is that what they call a "synchronicity"?

Whenever new military tech like this comes up, I immediately set about figuring out how to defeat it, just in case I'm ever on the receiving end. I've got IR drones figured out, but this may take a bit longer...

I find this an interesting topic as my first trade was weapons and armament as a young bloke in the navy.  We messed around with rounds a lot. (erm - magnesium/mercury)  Apart from electronically fired rounds never saw tech like this except upon the AIM Sidewinder.

I guess @Brotherman the ballistics side of this would still apply but it's a curve ball.

Knowing the capability but not the tech I guess there may be a defence that is secret as well.

It would be also interesting for me if someone in domestic circumstances comes up with a solution.   

Perhaps the "synchronicity" may be assumed as I was on 'shoutbox' discussing tobacco with you when @brotherman joined the conversation requesting to talk to you.

Kind regards, and let me know if you exact a solution.  Perhaps I could suggest a defence.

BallySmile

RE: 0:02 / 10:23 Sniper Bullet that Can Hit Any Spot Exactly (From 10-miles Away) - Ninurta - 12-28-2022

I would guess that they are keeping the particulars classified and close to the vest because there probably is a simple solution. If there weren't, and it was absolutely invincible, they'd likely be trumpeting that invulnerability far and wide. As it is, the secrecy surrounding it tells me that they are hiding a vulnerability that they don't want to get out.

Since it is a .50 cal/ 12.5 mm bullet, it would take a pretty stout barrier to stop it.

I think the speed of travel and whether it has guidance fins that pop out may be the key. At high travel speeds, fins take a relatively long time to react to direction changes, meaning that the flight characteristics may not admit of abrupt moves, and favor more gradual curves instead.

If that's the case, knowing it's coming may allow one to duck behind a big rock or into a foxhole. The problem there is knowing it's coming - if you've ever been shot at, you'll know that generally, you hear the crack or buzz or whine of the bullet passing you before you hear the report of it being fired if it travels at more than 1100 feet per second, which most modern long arm ammo does. So usually the bullet is THERE before you know the shot's been fired.

The guidance system factors in, too - radio, optical (homing in on a laser painted on target) or something else? Radio and optical can be jammed to confuse the crap out of it.

RE: 0:02 / 10:23 Sniper Bullet that Can Hit Any Spot Exactly (From 10-miles Away) - Bally002 - 12-28-2022

(12-28-2022, 10:43 PM)Ninurta Wrote: I would guess that they are keeping the particulars classified and close to the vest because there probably is a simple solution. If there weren't, and it was absolutely invincible, they'd likely be trumpeting that invulnerability far and wide. As it is, the secrecy surrounding it tells me that they are hiding a vulnerability that they don't want to get out.

Since it is a .50 cal/ 12.5 mm bullet, it would take a pretty stout barrier to stop it.

I think the speed of travel and whether it has guidance fins that pop out may be the key. At high travel speeds, fins take a relatively long time to react to direction changes, meaning that the flight characteristics may not admit of abrupt moves, and favor more gradual curves instead.

If that's the case, knowing it's coming may allow one to duck behind a big rock or into a foxhole. The problem there is knowing it's coming - if you've ever been shot at, you'll know that generally, you hear the crack or buzz or whine of the bullet passing you before you hear the report of it being fired if it travels at more than 1100 feet per second, which most modern long arm ammo does. So usually the bullet is THERE before you know the shot's been fired.

The guidance system factors in, too - radio, optical (homing in on a laser painted on target) or something else? Radio and optical can be jammed to confuse the crap out of it.

Hmm.  Your thoughts please on the possibility that a defence is built into a helmet such as a tone or alert that you've been targeted by such round or that fact it has been fired not unlike that of a pilots helmet or heads up display in the case of a cockpit.  A countermeasure may be a deflection or false target that detects targeting is initiated prior to or once the round is discharged - or - as you suggested using radio or optical to confuse an approaching round.

I am sure the manufacturers of this tech have also developed countermeasures.

Kind regards,

Bally

RE: 0:02 / 10:23 Sniper Bullet that Can Hit Any Spot Exactly (From 10-miles Away) - Ninurta - 12-29-2022

(12-28-2022, 11:56 PM)Bally002 Wrote: Hmm.  Your thoughts please on the possibility that a defence is built into a helmet such as a tone or alert that you've been targeted by such round or that fact it has been fired not unlike that of a pilots helmet or heads up display in the case of a cockpit.  A countermeasure may be a deflection or false target that detects targeting is initiated prior to or once the round is discharged - or - as you suggested using radio or optical to confuse an approaching round.

I am sure the manufacturers of this tech have also developed countermeasures.

Kind regards,

Bally

I think that would depend on the guidance system used to guide the round. A helmet sensor would probably have to pick up on the guidance signal to know whether it had been targeted, but on the plus side both radio and laser guidance (even IR laser) would arrive before either the report of the rifle or the round itself, since they both travel at the speed of light.

Reflectors may serve to deflect the signal of either radio or laser and send the round off on a wild goose chase, chasing after the reflected guidance signal.

Reflective mylar blankets, "space blankets" or "survival blankets", can be used to defeat thermal and passive IR detectors, but show up bright in radio/ radar detectors. That's probably why DHS is handing them out like candy to the invaders on our southern border, so they can hide better from ICE thermal detection measures. That's either intentional, or some jackass at a desk somewhere didn't really think it through.

RE: 0:02 / 10:23 Sniper Bullet that Can Hit Any Spot Exactly (From 10-miles Away) - EndtheMadnessNow - 12-29-2022

Your tax dollars coupled with several ET-derived technologies combined can create anything engineers imagine.

This was prophesized in the 1984 movie "Runaway" starring Gene Simmons.

[Image: FCbEW0o.jpg]

No wonder DARPA scientists watch nature videos.

[Image: 27cSxy0.jpg]