Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
War on .... Hippies and Black People? - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Mother Earth (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+--- Forum: Man Made Disasters (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=88)
+--- Thread: War on .... Hippies and Black People? (/showthread.php?tid=1806)

War on .... Hippies and Black People? - DuckforcoveR - 02-17-2024

I know - this isn't in the proper forum (more on that below just to prove you wrong!  Laughing ). But seeing "Man Made Disasters" while scrolling made me stop in my tracks and think: "YUP!"

(the quiet part out loud)
Quote:“The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities.

Quote:We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.

Nixon's little project had nothing to do with health, societal concerns, or even protecting our kids. It was 1,000% political. By fellow Rogue's aren't hearing anything new here, but it's worth pointing out some of the obvious. 

Quote:Nixon’s invention of the war on drugs as a political tool was cynical, but every president since — Democrat and Republican alike — has found it equally useful for one reason or another. Meanwhile, the growing cost of the drug war is now impossible to ignore: billions of dollars wasted, bloodshed in Latin America and on the streets of our own cities, and millions of lives destroyed by draconian punishment that doesn’t end at the prison gate; one of every eight black men has been disenfranchised because of a felony conviction.

I should note (for those that may not know) - I'm not black but was just barely able to slip out of the disenfranchised part of this quote. I was convicted in the early 2000's of selling ... 0.3 grams of marijuana to a "friend" who got into some trouble so opted to "cooperate". Long story short, he came to my place asking around and I said I was out. Pointed to a roach in my ashtray and joked that he could have it. He threw me 5 bucks, took the roach, and after a year of "investigating" they arrested me right before I was scheduled to graduate and head off to boot camp. 6 months in jail, automatic felony (mandatory minimums), 3 years of probation, and a lifetime of gun-free / check the lower box on your employment application living. I'm lucky though. I put my head down and went to work, and 22 years later this December I'm able to say I've done well for myself and my family. I am on top of the world with my career, my family, and only wish I had more time to hang out with you fine folks Cool

But, I'm an outlier in this war. 

Either way, I could quote this entire article to death. I could spew statistics, stories (people in prison for decades for possession of Marijuana), and utterly bore you to death with economic statistics. Here's a great article where I got my above quotes from. 

Legalize it all

But for now, as promised, nobody has to complain about me having this in the wrong forum...  Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:Over the past 40 years, the United States has spent more than $1 trillion combatting illicit drug trafficking across the globe, focusing on tactics of eradication and interdiction. Despite the high economic and human cost of these policies, drug use has remained relatively stable and drug revenues continue unabated. Estimates vary widely, but the Organization of American states says $320 billion is generated annually by the illegal drug trade.

While the environmental impacts of drug crop cultivation have been discussed in policy circles — the United Nations Office of Drug Control (UNODC) recognized that the herbicides and fertilizers used to grow and process coca are damaging to the environment, and more than 700,000 acres of forest were lost to coca crop cultivation between 2001 and 2013 — there has been little discussion about how drug policy itself is driving environmental degradation.

Murder the Earth!

Have a great weekend RN!

Cool

RE: War on .... Hippies and Black People? - 727Sky - 02-18-2024

Plenty of these videos showing what a wonderful life a druggy has in some American cities..  Philippines certainly cleaned up their streets....  being a poor third world country they just spent some money on ammo and intel.