Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
The Mystery Of Boggy Creek - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: The Conspiracy Corner (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+--- Forum: Cryptozoology (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: The Mystery Of Boggy Creek (/showthread.php?tid=1428)

The Mystery Of Boggy Creek - BIAD - 10-30-2023

You know, Wikipedia is a poor place to attain any objective information about a particular subject and it seems
the familiar divisive schoolyard politics still resides there. With their racial slant still prominent, I steered clear of
the site's slur of using the term 'sundown town' and strove to discover more mature literature for my inquiry.

I was researching the city of Fouke in the Miller County area of Texarkana in Arkansas with an aim to explore the
rather-short account of 'The Legend of Boggy Creek' which generated a movie of the same name.

After apprising myself on the history of the area -an intriguing past that saw a community germinate from a trading
post perched on the junction of two rivers into the rudiments of a town by the time 1836 began, I became engrossed
in how the little wet-land place developed. In 1889, those who had arrived from the tribulations the Civil War, chose
a site thirteen miles south of a prolific railroad and two miles away from a busy sawmill owned by a chap called
George W. Fouke.

Helping the newcomers to fill out their growing community, the name of their town quickly became decided upon
and the major business man and fellow Presbyterian's surname was proudly attained.
Oh and by the way, Mr Fouke's sawmill resided in Boggy Creek.

In 1902 a fellow called George Fouke erected one of the first buildings in Texarkana, Arkansas with electric power.
Due to the city technically straddling the border between Arkansas and Texas, the illuminated property was located
over the State Line on the Texas side, but at least it can be said that George continued the family penchant to help
others.

Anyway, back to the legend and the thing that allegedly abides in the flooded glades of Miller County.

With the 1967 Patterson-Gimlin footage still titillating the public, Bigfoot -a moniker donated by Andrew Genzoli
of the Humboldt Times newspaper, became a welcomed addition to the 'silly-season' in the media business and
a much-needed replacement from the British Loch Ness Monster.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1493]

It seemed for a while that California had the monopoly on the shaggy creature, but at the dawn of May in 1971,
a scary incident in Arkansas came along and made enough waves for a resident of Texarkana -Charles Pierce,
to pull out his home-built camera and documented via a little drama, the strange encounter that would become
known as The Legend Of Boggy Creek.

It had been going on for quite some time, but since major media outlets tend to exist on the east and west coasts
of the United States, it was left to the small periodicals in the 'fly-over-States' to report anything that might disturb
the communities they served.

The Daily Arkansas Gazette noted in 1910 that a 'strange beast' was supposedly witnessed approximately twenty
miles north of Fouke in Spring Lake Park. Other sightings of a unnerving creature continued to be reported around
Texarkana through the years and in the mid-sixties, it seemed the long-living Boggy Creek monster felt that letting
his guard down when around humans wasn't such a big deal.

In 1965, a teenage boy panicked after noticing the monster in the woods whilst deer hunting and fired his gun at
it to scare the beast away. The same year saw another youngster finding a hairy man or ape-like beast near a lake
on his family’s property.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1494]

The terrified lad described the thing as being seven-foot tall with reddish-brown hair about four inches long all over
its body. Adding it stood upright like a man and had extra-long arms, the boy felt it prudent to discharge his shotgun
three times as the thing approached and then leg it out of there.

After a female deer-hunter spotted a dark, hairy ape-like figure running on two legs along a pipeline, an organized
hunt for the Fouke Monster in 1965 took place where one of the men on horseback saw a large hirsute animal run
into the woods.

On and on the small-town reports came in, but when the sixties finally surrendered to the decade of the Watergate
scandal, Thatcherism in Britain, commercial microprocessors and the continuation of the Cold War, a certain shaggy
figure celebrated the coming of the turbulent Seventies by persisting in its wandering of the pastures, soy-bean fields
and highways around the growing community of Fouke.

But the incident that brought Charles Pierce to create his low-budget cult classic, was when Elizabeth Ford opened
her eyes from sleeping in her newly-purchased front room and saw a hairy arm with claws coming in through an open
window. It was the beginning of May in 1972 when Bobby Ford -Elizabeth's husband, decided do something about the
strange sounds he'd heard around his new home and it would prove a far more harrowing encounter than the previous
fleeting glimpses of the Boggy Creek monster.

Accompanied by his brother an unnamed companion, the three hunters sneaked around to the rear of Bobby's house
and came across the creature in the dark. Shining a flashlight on the mysterious shadowed frame , the trio shot at it
and believed it had fallen to the ground. Warily approaching to where the men believed the possibly-dead intruder lay,
a sudden scream from the house forced Bobby to race around to the front of the building and it was there that he was
grabbed by a hairy giant.

Breaking free from the grip of the beast, Ford reportedly ran so fast from the thing on his porch that he did not stop to
open the front door, but smashed right through it. Elizabeth was okay considering her sight of the reaching hairy limb
and glowing red eyes beyond the window, but later, Bob Ford had to be treated at a local hospital for minor scratches
and shock.

With the arrival of the Sheriff, the men gave their statements and related that they'd shot at the creature several more
times after the attack. But on a search of the area in daylight, all that the Sheriff's officers found were a set of strange
tracks and claw scratches on the Fords’ porch, yet no blood.

The Ford family had owned the house for less than a week when Jim Powell -a reporter for the Texarkana Gazette and
Dave Hall of Texarkana radio station KTFS went out to get a report on the unusual affair. The two news men found Bob
and his terrified brood in the process of moving out.

After acquiring the astonishing account and felt it was was worthy of an article, it wasn't long before the Associated
Press and United Press International wire services picked it up and broadcast it to the rest of the nation. Two years
later, The Legend of Boggy Creek movie was born and the city in Arkansas became relucent on the Bigfoot stage than
anything George Fouke would ever imagine.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1495]

Is the Boggy Creek Monster still out there...? Put yer' rubbers on and go and find out.

Huh

RE: The Mystery Of Boggy Creek - GeauxHomeLittleD - 10-30-2023

I can attest to the absolute realness of the Boggy Creek Monster or Fouke Monster. I grew up visiting there, having a great aunt and uncle, a cousin and her husband and kids, etc. there. We visited often because my great-grandparents lived in Texarkana on the Texas side. I personally have seen footprints (Aunt Ethel actually used to feed them, she had a whole family of them living in the woods behind her house and I helped carry buckets of scraps out for them when I visited). I witnessed the aftermath (complete with foot prints and hair) when one twisted the locks off of my cousin's deep freeze that was on her back porch and stole food, leaving a trail of chaos and freezer paper all the way to the creek- packages of meat with bites taken through freezer paper and all, and viewed personal photos my cousin's husband took when one of the creatures busted out the big plate glass window at a small local store and binged on candy and honey buns- also biting through the wrappers- and it was still in the store when sheriff's deputies arrived but ran off when an officer fired a warning shot into the air.

While most learned of "Bigfoot" from television I learned of what the local natives called the "Musk Ape" at the feet of my great aunts and uncles who grew up in the area. They were natives who grew up in a dirt floored cabin deep in the swamps and the creatures were just a matter of fact for them. I was given warnings before going out to play in the woods and along the creek to be aware of a strong musky smell that announced their presence (thus the name Musk Ape) and that if I saw one to (1) Don't look it in the eyes (2) Back away slowly and carefully and (3) Absolutely do NOT run! I was warned that the males were "mean as hell" and very territorial.

Locals like to tell strangers that the creature was just an invention of moonshiners back in the day to keep people away from their stills, in fact there used to be signs until at least the late 70s warning people away from the swamp that said "Beware of the creature!" and a few others that I don't remember now nailed to trees along the road- my Granny even took pictures of the signs once to show her friends. Regardless of the moonshiner stories the locals know the truth, they just didn't want outsiders poking around and disturbing the small, quiet town. When the movie came out they were bombarded with people wanting to see "the monster" and the locals just wanted them gone.

RE: The Mystery Of Boggy Creek - SomeJackleg - 10-30-2023

damn i'm getting old saw both movies when i was a kid.

from 1972 haven't been able to find a free one, found it on a couple of buy or rent streamers.

this is the full second one,

RE: The Mystery Of Boggy Creek - BIAD - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 05:56 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: I can attest to the absolute realness of the Boggy Creek Monster or Fouke Monster. I grew up visiting there, having a great aunt and uncle, a cousin and her husband and kids, etc. there. We visited often because my great-grandparents lived in Texarkana on the Texas side. I personally have seen footprints (Aunt Ethel actually used to feed them, she had a whole family of them living in the woods behind her house and I helped carry buckets of scraps out for them when I visited)...

*Said in a gruff commanding voice* 

We need more information! Remember, the established scientific community say you cannot have fed bipedal
creatures at your relatives home !!
Smile thumbsup2

RE: The Mystery Of Boggy Creek - GeauxHomeLittleD - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 08:25 PM)BIAD Wrote:
(10-30-2023, 05:56 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: I can attest to the absolute realness of the Boggy Creek Monster or Fouke Monster. I grew up visiting there, having a great aunt and uncle, a cousin and her husband and kids, etc. there. We visited often because my great-grandparents lived in Texarkana on the Texas side. I personally have seen footprints (Aunt Ethel actually used to feed them, she had a whole family of them living in the woods behind her house and I helped carry buckets of scraps out for them when I visited)...

*Said in a gruff commanding voice* 

We need more information! Remember, the established scientific community say you cannot have fed bipedal
creatures at your relatives home !!
Smile thumbsup2

No, the musk apes are not licensed with the city and haven't had their rabies, parvo and distemper shots- but you are welcome to try to give them to them!

RE: The Mystery Of Boggy Creek - sailorsam - 11-01-2023

the people who did the Boggy Creek movie also did 'The Town that Dreaded  Sundown', based on a true serial killer.  good movie.
Dawn Wells (Gilligan's 'Mary Anne' was in it, and was also in the 2nd Boggy Creek movie.

I suspect some parts of the Missip delta/bayou areas have never been explored

RE: The Mystery Of Boggy Creek - SomeJackleg - 11-01-2023

(11-01-2023, 01:44 AM)sailorsam Wrote: the people who did the Boggy Creek movie also did 'The Town that Dreaded  Sundown', based on a true serial killer.  good movie.
Dawn Wells (Gilligan's 'Mary Anne' was in it, and was also in the 2nd Boggy Creek movie.

I suspect some parts of the Missip delta/bayou areas have never been explored

was wondering when someone was going to point out Maryanne who in my book always had Ginger beat hands down.