Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Really good breakdown on what a Quantum computer is! - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Technology and Advancements (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Forum: Computers, Internet and the Digital World (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: Really good breakdown on what a Quantum computer is! (/showthread.php?tid=1427)

Really good breakdown on what a Quantum computer is! - A51Watcher2 - 10-30-2023

I am very familiar with how digital computers work using software to give chips orders. 

Until now the best explanation I have been given on what is Quantum computing is that it is beyond Parallel computing (which I have championed since day 1!)

I just watched really good breakdown for laymen on what a quantum computer is,

and how AI will be able to perform on them,

as opposed to standard digital chips that we use now with it.

RE: Really good breakdown on what a Quantum computer is! - BIAD - 10-30-2023

I'm sure that if they can acquire the entanglement factor to a point where the 'Spooky Action' is
guaranteed, future household quantum computers will be a major boon to certain security agencies!
Huh

RE: Really good breakdown on what a Quantum computer is! - Snarl - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 09:39 AM)BIAD Wrote: I'm sure that if they can acquire the entanglement factor to a point where the 'Spooky Action' is
guaranteed, future household quantum computers will be a major boon to certain security agencies!

Comes a point where one starts to wonder if the point you mentioned above was reached a long time ago ... and we've just been lead to believe it's over the horizon.

RE: Really good breakdown on what a Quantum computer is! - LogicalGraffiti - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 08:12 AM)A51Watcher2 Wrote: I am very familiar with how digital computers work using software to give chips orders. 

Until now the best explanation I have been given on what is Quantum computing is that it is beyond Parallel computing (which I have championed since day 1!)

I just watched really good breakdown for laymen on what a quantum computer is,

and how AI will be able to perform on them,

as opposed to standard digital chips that we use now with it.
I started my career in 1980 working on mainframes in the operating system and had to learn how the machine works at a very low level.  I've seen incredible leaps in technology but fundamentally (electrically), things still work the same way.  For whatever reason, I can't get my head around how Quantum computing works!  One probably needs to be a physicist to understand it but maybe that's the point.  You don't need to know how it works to program or use it.  

Scary stuff though.  I can't imagine what things will be like in 40 years.

RE: Really good breakdown on what a Quantum computer is! - BIAD - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 02:32 PM)LogicalGraffiti Wrote: ...For whatever reason, I can't get my head around how Quantum computing works!
One probably needs to be a physicist to understand it but maybe that's the point.  You don't need to know
how it works to program or use it.  

Scary stuff though.  I can't imagine what things will be like in 40 years.

Ignoring the fact this is completely out of my league, I will merely copy-and-paste what someone
else says is the crux of a 'Quantum computer'.
Smile Funny

Quote:'...The secret to a quantum computer’s power lies in its ability to generate and manipulate quantum bits, or qubits.

What is a qubit?
Today's computers use bits—a stream of electrical or optical pulses representing 1s or 0s. Everything from your
tweets and e-mails to your iTunes songs and YouTube videos are essentially long strings of these binary digits.

Quantum computers, on the other hand, use qubits, which are typically subatomic particles such as electrons or
photons. Generating and managing qubits is a scientific and engineering challenge. Some companies, such as
IBM, Google, and Rigetti Computing, use superconducting circuits cooled to temperatures colder than deep space.

Others, like IonQ, trap individual atoms in electromagnetic fields on a silicon chip in ultra-high-vacuum chambers.
In both cases, the goal is to isolate the qubits in a controlled quantum state.

Qubits have some quirky quantum properties that mean a connected group of them can provide way more processing
power than the same number of binary bits. One of those properties is known as superposition and another is called
entanglement.

What is superposition?
Qubits can represent numerous possible combinations of 1 and 0 at the same time. This ability to simultaneously
be in multiple states is called superposition. To put qubits into superposition, researchers manipulate them using
precision lasers or microwave beams.

Thanks to this counterintuitive phenomenon, a quantum computer with several qubits in superposition can crunch
through a vast number of potential outcomes simultaneously. The final result of a calculation emerges only once
the qubits are measured, which immediately causes their quantum state to “collapse” to either 1 or 0.

What is entanglement?
Researchers can generate pairs of qubits that are “entangled,” which means the two members of a pair exist in a
single quantum state. Changing the state of one of the qubits will instantaneously change the state of the other
one in a predictable way. This happens even if they are separated by very long distances.

Nobody really knows quite how or why entanglement works. It even baffled Einstein, who famously described it
as “spooky action at a distance.” But it’s key to the power of quantum computers. In a conventional computer,
doubling the number of bits doubles its processing power. But thanks to entanglement, adding extra qubits to
a quantum machine produces an exponential increase in its number-crunching ability.

Quantum computers harness entangled qubits in a kind of quantum daisy chain to work their magic. The machines’
ability to speed up calculations using specially designed quantum algorithms is why there’s so much buzz about
their potential...'
Source:

RE: Really good breakdown on what a Quantum computer is! - quintessentone - 10-30-2023

So it appears what we should be worried about is that quantum computing can break any encryption code which is the main danger. But, it looks like smart people are on top of it...for now.

On the other hand it offers life-saving drugs, AI, and carbon neutrality (CO2 reduction or elimination).

RE: Really good breakdown on what a Quantum computer is! - EndtheMadnessNow - 11-01-2023

(10-30-2023, 11:00 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(10-30-2023, 09:39 AM)BIAD Wrote: I'm sure that if they can acquire the entanglement factor to a point where the 'Spooky Action' is

Comes a point where one starts to wonder if the point you mentioned above was reached a long time ago ... and we've just been lead to believe it's over the horizon.

Indeed! One of my pet theories is back in the pioneering days of AI (1960s) at MIT that by 1981 they had all the questions & all the answers/solutions worked out, at least on paper. Just had to wait for the Internet infrastructure & society to mature. I think much of what we see today or think we see is mostly marketing BS. It's not just to fool you or I, but any foreign adversaries. What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes... is all an illusion nowadays. Right? It's everyday on TV/Internet.

Obviously, I don't know for sure but I have a lot of doubts on AI and Quantum computing. How the technocrats want to control this upcoming brave new world society (assuming we all don't fall into the abyss in the global  technology wars for sublime tech wonders of further enslavement) is akin to flip-flops/gates of a circuit/motherboard...think about the Electric Universe for example. Yes, quantum computers will change EVERYTHING, but probably not how vast majority think they will. With big daddy Gov deeply entrenched in it, rest assured it is not for our benefit in the long run. The so-called quantum leap in technology if it were to occur (maybe already has occurred, hence all the shakedown wars) is perhaps what they (gov-mil/intel) fear most and they certainly do NOT want any other country to have it first, let alone you or I. Interestingly, a lot of our super tech (chips but not just chips) comes out of Israel...and look what is happening right now.

About 10 years ago when 5 super-brain computer scientists were visiting the campus where I worked, 3 from MIT, 1 from Stanford, and 1 from the DOE, I asked each of them (separately) to explain Quantum Computing. I got 6 different answers. My takeaway was unlike computer bits being a one or zero, in Quantum computing can be either or both. Although the cryptographer mathemagicians have long been drooling over the possibilities for many years. Having worked in that bleeding-edge world for 2 decades one thing us lowly engineers learn to do (quickly if a junior) is never give away all the secrets, especially to fellow engineers including within the same corporation. That is called job security. Feed them crumbs (bits) but never the whole cookie. The Israeli engineer's are masters of it. Keep'em guessing until your project is done that way you're sure to be funded for the next one and remain a quantum leap above the rest. Sucks, but unfortunately a lot of ugly tech politicking (& marketing game theory) happens behind the scenes.

I'm not worried about AI nor Quantum computing. I'm worried about whomever will be the supreme human controllers of it. Their psychotic quest to become gods/pharaohs and live forever.

[Image: 1m7D3VY.jpg]
And some days I don't know what to believe and "knowing" is even harder. Oh well that's life. Time for me to go blow some leaves into the neighbor's yard.

C-ya on the flip side.