Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot charged with 83 counts of attempted murder - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: General and Breaking News Events (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: General News and/or Events (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot charged with 83 counts of attempted murder (/showthread.php?tid=1380)

Off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot charged with 83 counts of attempted murder - EndtheMadnessNow - 10-23-2023

Crazy times we live in...

[Image: TSfJEeI.jpg]
Quote:An off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot has been charged with over 80 counts of attempted murder after he allegedly attempted to shut off a plane's engines midflight on Sunday, causing the flight to divert to Portland.

Flight 2059 took off from Everett, Washington, and was bound for San Francisco, Alaska Airlines said in a statement. It was operated by Alaska Airlines subsidiary Horizon Air, but was diverted due to a “credible security” threat linked to a person in the cockpit’s flight deck jump seat.

"The jump seat occupant unsuccessfully attempted to disrupt the operation of the engines," the airline said. "The Horizon Captain and First Officer quickly responded, engine power was not lost and the crew secured the aircraft without incident."

The flight crew followed “appropriate FAA procedures and guidance from air traffic control” in landing at Portland International Airport. The flight took off just before 5:30 p.m. local time and landed about an hour later in Portland, according to FlightAware data.

Audio of the plane's communications with air traffic control reveal an attempt to turn off the plane's engines.

“As a heads up. We’ve got the guy that tried to shut the engines down out of the cockpit. It doesn’t sound like he’s got any issue in the back right now. I think he’s subdued," the pilot of the plane told air traffic control. "Other than that we want law enforcement as soon as we get on the ground and parked.”

Typically, off-duty airline pilots sit in the jump seat of the flight deck behind the pilots to fly back to their home base if seats are available.

After landing, Joseph David Emerson, 44, was arrested by Port of Portland police.

He was booked on 83 counts of attempted murder, 83 counts of reckless endangerment, and a count of endangering an aircraft, according to Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office booking records.

The FBI is investigating the incident.

The FAA sent alerts to airlines after the Horizon Air incident saying “a validated jump seat passenger attempted to disable aircraft engines while at cruise altitude by deploying the engine fire suppressions system.”

The crew was ultimately able to “subdue the subject,” remove them from the flight deck, divert the plane and land safely, the alert said.

In a second notification, the FAA clarified that the security event is not connected to current world events.

All passengers were able to travel on a later flight.

“We are grateful for the professional handling of the situation by the Horizon flight crew and appreciate our guests’ calm and patience throughout this event,” Alaska Airlines said.

NBC News

[Image: O477VK6.jpg]

RE: Off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot charged with 83 counts of attempted murder - BIAD - 10-24-2023

The Daily Mail has a cracker of an image in regards of this incident!
(Link to article)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1447]

RE: Off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot charged with 83 counts of attempted murder - quintessentone - 10-24-2023

I guess they don't have their pilots get mental health checkups regularly even though the pilots literally hold our lives in their hands. Another reason for me not to fly.

RE: Off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot charged with 83 counts of attempted murder - Snarl - 10-24-2023

(10-24-2023, 08:57 AM)BIAD Wrote: The Daily Mail has a cracker of an image in regards of this incident!

OMG ... one of us? Let's see who's not posting.  Laughing

RE: Off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot charged with 83 counts of attempted murder - NightskyeB4Dawn - 10-24-2023

I briefly spoke of the sudden increase I am seeing in people seeming to suddenly lose their minds.

I swear I wonder if there is something in the water, food, or in the air.

RE: Off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot charged with 83 counts of attempted murder - LogicalGraffiti - 10-24-2023

(10-24-2023, 05:13 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I briefly spoke of the sudden increase I am seeing in people seeming to suddenly lose their minds.

I swear I wonder if there is something in the water, food, or in the air.

What is it with Alaska/Horizon Airlines?  It wasn't so long ago a ground crew guy took one of their commuter planes on a joyride.  It didn't end well for him but at least he was alone on the plane.

RE: Off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot charged with 83 counts of attempted murder - BodhisattvaStyle - 10-25-2023

I just ran across this article.
According to USA Today he is fully admitting to everything.

Plus there's a twist...

https://ssnews.page.link/83wBsr9L8vkhNV5e7

________From the article___________

New court documents reveal that the off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot charged with attempted murder after trying to seize control of an airplane on Sunday possibly took psychedelics before the flight and had a “nervous breakdown.”

According to details in the criminal complaint, Emerson was in the jump seat and casually talking to the two pilots. One pilot told the FBI special agent that “there was zero indication of anything wrong.”

Around Portland, Emerson allegedly said, “I’m not OK,” before trying to grab the red fire handles, which would activate the aircraft fire suppression system and shut off fuel supply to the engines. 

The pilots “wrestled with” Emerson. Emerson told flight attendants he was “losing it.

Several flight attendants interviewed by authorities said Emerson was “observed peacefully walking to the back of the aircraft.

_______end_________

It looks like he just wigged out for a second, and even felt it coming on.
What a wild story.