Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
BURNING MAN FLOODS! - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: General and Breaking News Events (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: General News and/or Events (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: BURNING MAN FLOODS! (/showthread.php?tid=1225)

BURNING MAN FLOODS! - DuckforcoveR - 09-03-2023

I'll start by saying, I have a bucket list line that mentions Burning Man. But as the years have gone by, I lost the ... fire ... inside to actually go through with it. I always loved the stories and pictures, but seeing tech giants in their million dollar RVs lining up for "the experience", well, it just changed for me. 

With that said, there needs to be a psychedelic involved for me to properly check it off my list. Like a Burning Man tribute to Albert Hofmann in my waning days of life  Laughing Laughing Laughing

And I can only imagine the planning, the execution, the sugar-cube, and me thinking about a week in the parched, hot playa. And then this...

Burning Man Flooding and Death

Quote:RENO, Nev. (AP) — Authorities in Nevada were investigating a death at the site of the Burning Man festival where thousands of attendees remained stranded Saturday night as flooding from storms swept through the Nevada desert.

Organizers closed vehicular access to the counterculture festival and attendees trudged through mud, many barefoot or wearing plastic bags on their feet. The revelers were urged to shelter in place and conserve food, water and other supplies.
The Pershing County Sheriff’s Office said the death happened during the event but offered few details as the investigation continued, including the identity of the deceased person or the suspected cause of death, KNSD-TV reported.

[Image: yckp34u4]

I don't think my plan would go over too well. The stories coming out about people in the mud is incredible. Hopefully everyone makes it out OK, at least the rest of them. I'm sure helicopters will be coming and going to evacuate the precious resources that are stuck...

A few notables from the past:

[Image: 2u2cv63b]

Burning Man Wealthy Camp

Quote:Chandeliers hung from the ceiling and gorgeous rugs littered the ground. It was the least-dusty environment I saw all weekend.

But the stuff below is why I have it on my list to begin with:

[Image: 2v6w8mn7]

[Image: 8rj9smh2]

[Image: 3fnya4ej]

I would love to get lost in this sea of weirdness for a week. Some day.

RE: BURNING MAN FLOODS! - quintessentone - 09-03-2023

Me too - getting lost in that kind of weirdness would be just what my held down for far too long wild side is screaming for.

RE: BURNING MAN FLOODS! - DuckforcoveR - 09-03-2023

I just read this one as well, pretty funny...

Chris Rock escapes Burning Man Floods!

Quote:"A fan offered Chris rock and I a ride out of burning man in the back of a pick up," Diplo wrote on Instagram in a video showing him, Rock, and a group of people packed together with luggage as they zoomed past the desert landscape. "After walking 6 miles through the mud… all Chris could think about was a f&cking cold brew."

RE: BURNING MAN FLOODS! - quintessentone - 09-03-2023

Ah yes the luxuries of society and what a world without disasters can offer.

RE: BURNING MAN FLOODS! - GeauxHomeLittleD - 09-03-2023

Burning Man has turned into a right of passage for middle aged, mid-life crisis folks who were born too late for Woodstock so they can go pretend to be hippies and do drugs they were too scared to try when they were younger and pray that some of the younger folks will be stoned enough to let them watch their bi-sexual orgies.

RE: BURNING MAN FLOODS! - EndtheMadnessNow - 09-03-2023

I attended once years ago with a wealthy friend out of Vegas before the silicon billionaires & spooks took it over. He had a customized RV big rig with 2500 gallons of water, diesel genny, tons of food & beer. The place was setup with squared off multiple encampments from million dollar RV's down to the tent dwellers & the psychedelic crowd. Nobody outside our circle were allowed in. It was super hot, dry, dusty, but a lotta fun. I probably only engaged with 2% of the crowd, mostly Europeans. Resident folks in Nevada warn not to go out in Black Rock desert if it rains and if it looks like it might rain, GTFO!. You couldn't pay me or buy my ticket to go there in these times.

“Burning Man is Silicon Valley”, tech magnate Elon Musk declared last year.

[Image: 562ySHC.jpg]

Burning Man on Twitter right now is hours of comedic entertainment!

[Image: I4Ve9B1.jpg]

The other desert dystopia: Bartertown

[Image: AhL4x1m.jpg]

(09-03-2023, 08:08 PM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Burning Man has turned into a right of passage for middle aged, mid-life crisis folks who were born too late for Woodstock so they can go pretend to be hippies and do drugs they were too scared to try when they were younger and pray that some of the younger folks will be stoned enough to let them watch their bi-sexual orgies.

This made me spit out my Non Alcoholic Corona... another story for another day  Laughing Laughing

But I swear my intentions started different. The more I read about each passing year, the more I agree. But what a trip it would be!

(09-03-2023, 08:17 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: I attended once years ago with a wealthy friend out of Vegas before the silicon billionaires & spooks took it over. He had a customized RV big rig with 2500 gallons of water, diesel genny, tons of food & beer. The place was setup with squared off multiple encampments from million dollar RV's down to the tent dwellers & the psychedelic crowd. Nobody outside our circle were allowed in. It was super hot, dry, dusty, but a lotta fun. I probably only engaged with 2% of the crowd, mostly Europeans. Resident folks in Nevada warn not to go out in Black Rock desert if it rains and if it looks like it might rain, GTFO!. You couldn't pay me or buy my ticket to go there in these times.

“Burning Man is Silicon Valley”, tech magnate Elon Musk declared last year.

[Image: 562ySHC.jpg]

Burning Man on Twitter right now is hours of comedic entertainment!

[Image: I4Ve9B1.jpg]

The other desert dystopia: Bartertown

[Image: AhL4x1m.jpg]
I have a good friend who I grew up with in Wisconsin, he moved to Vegas and told me the same: an inch of rain here and cities will drown. I laughed, he laughed (with a tinge of evil), and then the flash flood warnings came...