Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Meet "Orca" - The Insanely Large Apocalyptic Drone of the Seas - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: General and Breaking News Events (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: War, Peace or Inbetween (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Meet "Orca" - The Insanely Large Apocalyptic Drone of the Seas (/showthread.php?tid=1220)

Meet "Orca" - The Insanely Large Apocalyptic Drone of the Seas - EndtheMadnessNow - 09-02-2023

Quote:Amidst the ever-evolving landscape of maritime warfare, one unmanned underwater vehicle stands apart: the Orca, the world’s first Extra Large Unmanned Underwater Vehicle.

Silent and unstoppable, this state-of-the-art sea drone glides effortlessly through the water, driven by an advanced diesel-electric propulsion system. The vehicle possesses the unrivaled ability to embark on autonomous missions that span months, forever altering the course of naval operations.

As the culmination of years of innovation, research, and strategic vision, forging a formidable weapon that surpasses all that came before, the Orca's true power lies in its astonishing versatility.

By stealthily deploying mines, the Orca can create strategic choke points, disrupt enemy movements and alter the course of battle. The drone can also Infiltrate hostile territory, gathering vital intelligence with unmatched stealth and cutting-edge sensors, providing the upper hand to its commanders.

The Orca can even become a devastating force, as its payload bay, equipped with vertical launch systems, can allow it to unleash a relentless barrage of missiles upon surface and land targets.

As the dawn of a new era in undersea combat emerges, the United States Navy's Orca XLUUV stands at the forefront, poised to revolutionize the very fabric of maritime superiority.

Behold...

[Image: uA3t813.jpg]
The Navy’s Orca Unmanned Submarine At Sea

RE: Meet "Orca" - The Insanely Large Apocalyptic Drone of the Seas - 727Sky - 09-03-2023

It cruises at 3 knots... There are currents in the ocean that run in excess of 5 knots.. Wow I am impressed (NOT) !  242 million over budget and 3 years behind schedule with a possible delivery date sometime in 2024; then if typical it will take another 3 to 5 years of fixing bugs and an additional several million of redesign and tech support.. .Welcome to the MIC !

RE: Meet "Orca" - The Insanely Large Apocalyptic Drone of the Seas - Ninurta - 09-03-2023

I'm pretty dubious of this push to mechanize the battlefield. Now, keep in mind all my fights have been on the ground, in the mud and the snow and the rain and the oppressive heat, and never in the air nor the sea, so I'm probably talking out of my ass.

Humans have something that "autonomous" machines do not, and can not, have - intuition. A machine cannot just "feel" the presence of the enemy like people can.

Once we get all the soldiers off the battlefields and fill them up with bots, who is going to be there to attack? Not soldiers. They're off the battlefield. Only civilians will be attackable. I can't see how that is going to be a good thing. There is no incentive to avoid war when there is no pain, no loss, no injury. Blowing up another bot doesn't carry the same emotional cost as capping a person - someone's son, husband, father who will never come back. It makes war just another video game with infinite re-spawns and no repercussions... and no incentive NOT to fight.

This machine has a hybrid power plant? Diesel and, of all things, Li-ion batteries? Aren't the Li-ion batteries what are causing electric cars and e-bikes to explode and burn down when they... get wet?

Until they develop fire-bots and maintenance 'droids, there can be no such thing as "autonomous" machinery. There has to be someone to do maintenance and repairs at sea to be effective.

I was - and still am - dubious when they started "Buck Rogers"-ing ground-pounders with all kinds of battery operated geegaws. Sure, I've got a red-dot sight, a flashlight, and a green laser mounted to my AR, but they are just battery operated gadgets, not something I would actually depend upon in a firefight. Murphy's Law dictates that the batteries in your geegaws are going to either die or explode just when you need them the most. So, my primary sighting system is good old fashioned iron sights. As if to prove my point, the laser on my AR is in a bad way right now - seems to be a problem with the switch rather than the batteries or the laser diode... but the iron sights are just as functional as they were in 1776.

A few years ago, a guy tried to sell me an AR at what I considered an exorbitant rate. I looked at it, and the first thing i noticed is that it had no sights. Charging that much money, and the damned thing could not even be aimed. So I said "it's got no sights". The guy said "of course not - it's 'optics ready' ". So I said "but it's-got-no-damned-sights. Ya can't even aim the fuckin' thing for that much money!" He just stuck with "but it's optics-ready" So I said "Optics break. It's GOT NO GOD-DAMNED SIGHTS! It ain't any-damned thing ready! You can sell this piece of shit to some wannabe poser who ain't never heard a shot fired in anger and don't know any better, 'coz I sure as hell ain't plunking real money down for a fake gun!" and left. I mean, you don't want a half-assed rifle when your one and only whole life might depend on it!

How much worse can it get when there is no human around to circumvent the inevitable breakdowns and emergencies that Murphy's Law insists are going to happen on these "autonomous" vehicles?

Nope, I ain't for none of this mechanized battlefield crap... but the money tossers can - and will - throw big bucks at whatever they like. It ain't like that money is coming out of THEIR pockets!

RE: Meet "Orca" - The Insanely Large Apocalyptic Drone of the Seas - 727Sky - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 07:15 AM)Ninurta Wrote: I'm pretty dubious of this push to mechanize the battlefield. Now, keep in mind all my fights have been on the ground, in the mud and the snow and the rain and the oppressive heat, and never in the air nor the sea, so I'm probably talking out of my ass.

Humans have something that "autonomous" machines do not, and can not, have - intuition. A machine cannot just "feel" the presence of the enemy like people can.

Once we get all the soldiers off the battlefields and fill them up with bots, who is going to be there to attack? Not soldiers. They're off the battlefield. Only civilians will be attackable. I can't see how that is going to be a good thing. There is no incentive to avoid war when there is no pain, no loss, no injury. Blowing up another bot doesn't carry the same emotional cost as capping a person - someone's son, husband, father who will never come back. It makes war just another video game with infinite re-spawns and no repercussions... and no incentive NOT to fight.

This machine has a hybrid power plant? Diesel and, of all things, Li-ion batteries? Aren't the Li-ion batteries what are causing electric cars and e-bikes to explode and burn down when they... get wet?

Until they develop fire-bots and maintenance 'droids, there can be no such thing as "autonomous" machinery. There has to be someone to do maintenance and repairs at sea to be effective.

I was - and still am - dubious when they started "Buck Rogers"-ing ground-pounders with all kinds of battery operated geegaws. Sure, I've got a red-dot sight, a flashlight, and a green laser mounted to my AR, but they are just battery operated gadgets, not something I would actually depend upon in a firefight. Murphy's Law dictates that the batteries in your geegaws are going to either die or explode just when you need them the most. So, my primary sighting system is good old fashioned iron sights. As if to prove my point, the laser on my AR is in a bad way right now - seems to be a problem with the switch rather than the batteries or the laser diode... but the iron sights are just as functional as they were in 1776.

A few years ago, a guy tried to sell me an AR at what I considered an exorbitant rate. I looked at it, and the first thing i noticed is that it had no sights. Charging that much money, and the damned thing could not even be aimed. So I said "it's got no sights". The guy said "of course not - it's 'optics ready' ". So I said "but it's-got-no-damned-sights. Ya can't even aim the fuckin' thing for that much money!" He just stuck with "but it's optics-ready" So I said "Optics break. It's GOT NO GOD-DAMNED SIGHTS! It ain't any-damned thing ready! You can sell this piece of shit to some wannabe poser who ain't never heard a shot fired in anger and don't know any better, 'coz I sure as hell ain't plunking real money down for a fake gun!" and left. I mean, you don't want a half-assed rifle when your one and only whole life might depend on it!

How much worse can it get when there is no human around to circumvent the inevitable breakdowns and emergencies that Murphy's Law insists are going to happen on these "autonomous" vehicles?

Nope, I ain't for none of this mechanized battlefield crap... but the money tossers can - and will - throw big bucks at whatever they like. It ain't like that money is coming out of THEIR pockets!

While I agree with most of what you have said the "Puzzle Palace" boys and girls think stuff is going to be happening so fast that the human mind can not keep up with the flow of a new warfare scenario. A.I. will identify a target that is moving 5 times the speed of a bullet, plot an intercept and fire before a human can say, "Oh shit!"

Just be glad we are both old and will not have to fight in the next one unless there is an invasion which as long as we are armed in America would be a hard nut to crack with an old time invasion IMO. I am in favor of an EMP followed by a Neutron bomb against any country that wants to mess with us..... but, when it comes to war Genghis and I are brothers in arms when dealing with a confirmed enemy....

RE: Meet "Orca" - The Insanely Large Apocalyptic Drone of the Seas - Ninurta - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 07:43 AM)727Sky Wrote: While I agree with most of what you have said the "Puzzle Place" boys and girls think stuff is going to be happening so fast that the human mind can not keep up with the flow of a new warfare scenario. A.I. will identify a target that is moving 5 times the speed of a bullet, plot an intercept and fire before a human can say, "Oh shit!"

All I can say about that is that the Puzzle Palace boys need to wake up and realize that for every measure, an appropriate countermeasure can and will be developed, so their one shot is just that - ONE shot before the other side adapts to their strategy.

Quote:Just be glad we are both old and will not have to fight in the next one unless there is an invasion which as long as we are armed in America would be a hard nut to crack with an old time invasion IMO. I am in favor of an EMP followed by a Neutron bomb against any country that wants to mess with us..... but, when it comes to war Genghis and I are brothers in arms when dealing with a confirmed enemy....

I don't think there will be any invasion beyond what Mexico is sending across the border at the moment, although it's entirely possible that Canada will eventually decide to "liberate" the US into their peculiar brand of communism they have developing up there. No one else can invade, "Red Dawn" notwithstanding. No other nations have the sea power to deliver enough troops en masse to take out anything but coastal towns before they get a response, and only Mexico and Canada have enough contiguous border to send their best to us if they ever get froggy.

I don't think any adversary could amass enough personnel in either of those countries to mount an invasion without ringing all sorts of alarm bells other than the natives already living there.

China probably has other plans. They've already fired a shot across the bow with biological weapons - the covid -  but I doubt they'd go whole-hog biological and take the risk of damaging the dirt they'd eventually need. Instead, they are waging an economic war against us currently, and a propaganda war, which is probably just to keep us busy while they get systems into position to blind our sattelites. Folks have gotten so dependent on GPS, for everything from air travel to maritime travel to land navigation that it won't be long before folks who can use a map and compass are in short supply and high demand if they ever take out the GPS constellation.

If they blinded our eyes in the skies AND took out GPS, we'd be sitting ducks (most drones depend on GPS for navigation, too), but I still don't think they'd try to invade, on account of that "rifle behind every blade of grass" thing. They'd be more likely to send an EMP to fry all domestic electronics and communications, and then invade under the guise of being "saviors" from what would happen after that.

Yes, China. I concentrate on them because currently they are far more of a threat than Russia ever has, or ever could, even hope to be. Our only real hope to avoid a fall at the hands of China is that China collapses under it's own internal weight with the problems it is facing at the moment. We sure as hell can't rely on the government we have now or the "military" as it is developing currently to prevent it.