Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Democrats demand 1,000% excise tax on ‘assault weapons,’ high-capacity magazines - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Rogue Politics (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Forum: Political news and more (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Democrats demand 1,000% excise tax on ‘assault weapons,’ high-capacity magazines (/showthread.php?tid=1105)

Democrats demand 1,000% excise tax on ‘assault weapons,’ high-capacity magazines - Infolurker - 08-05-2023

Democrats, Only The Rich Should Have The Ability To Own Firearms. Their next phase is to ensure registration so that they can tax you annually on them and of course seize them when the time comes.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democrats-demand-1000-excise-tax-assault-weapons-high-capacity-magazines

Quote:More than two dozen House Democrats put forward legislation Friday that would slap "assault weapons" and high-capacity magazines with a 1,000% excise tax, a change that would raise the price of a $500 weapon to $5,000 in a bid to reduce access to guns across the country.

Rep. Don Beyer, D-Va., and 24 other House Democrats introduced the legislation Friday. It’s the second time Democrats have put forward the idea. 

Beyer and 37 Democrats proposed the same idea last year when Democrats controlled the House, but it never moved.

The text of Beyer’s new bill was not out as of the weekend, and it was unclear if any changes were made from his 2022 version. His bill from last year imposed the tax on any magazine or related device that can accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

The same 1,000% tax would be imposed on any "semiautomatic assault weapon," which last year’s bill defined as a semiautomatic rifle or pistol with a fixed magazine of 10 rounds or more or that have other various features.

Under that rule, a weapon that normally costs $2,000 would force customers to pay more than $20,000, a change Beyer argued last year could help "curb the epidemic of gun violence."

"Congress must take action to stem the flood of weapons of war into American communities, which have taken a terrible toll in Uvalde, Buffalo, Tulsa and too many other places," Beyer said then. "Again and again assault weapons designed for use on the battlefield have been used in mass shootings at schools, grocery stores, hospitals, churches, synagogues, malls, theaters, bars and so on."

RE: Democrats demand 1,000% excise tax on ‘assault weapons,’ high-capacity magazines - ancientlight - 08-05-2023

Criminals will stop buying them on the black market with this new law for sure, and buy them in arms stores so they can pay a 1000% up your a** premium  rolleyes2

RE: Democrats demand 1,000% excise tax on ‘assault weapons,’ high-capacity magazines - Snarl - 08-05-2023

(08-05-2023, 10:11 PM)ancientlight Wrote: Criminals will stop buying them on the black market with this new law for sure, and buy them in arms stores so they can pay a 1000% up your a** premium  rolleyes2

It was only when I was named a criminal that I became truly free. -Snarl

RE: Democrats demand 1,000% excise tax on ‘assault weapons,’ high-capacity magazines - 727Sky - 08-06-2023

Why don't they put a 1000% tax on crack & crack pipes? Oh, I forgot, they are not interested in getting illegal dangerous drugs off the streets and the criminal gangs that push that crap.

RE: Democrats demand 1,000% excise tax on ‘assault weapons,’ high-capacity magazines - Infolurker - 08-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 01:04 AM)727Sky Wrote: Why don't they put a 1000% tax on crack & crack pipes? Oh, I forgot, they are not interested in getting illegal dangerous drugs off the streets and the criminal gangs that push that crap.

In NY, they will give you more time for "possessing" a piece of plastic (30 round mag) than they will committing a Robbery with a firearm.

Man sentenced for having 30-round magazine in Elmira in 2021

Quote:ELMIRA, N.Y. (WETM) – One person has been sentenced after a 2021 indictment claiming they had a 30-round capacity magazine.

Korey Beck was sentenced in the Chemung County Court to two to four years behind bars on October 7, 2022. The court said Beck’s sentence was an indeterminate sentence.

Beck was indicted in October 2021, along with one other person, for possessing a “large capacity ammunition feeding device” in the summer of 2021.

COMBAT VET FACES FELONY CHARGES FOR POSSESSING 30-ROUND MAGS IN NY

https://www.guns.com/news/2013/02/25/combat-vet-faces-felony-charges-for-possessing-30-round-mags-in-ny-video

And as they convict combat vets for having legal magazines, they let this happen....

10 career criminals racked up nearly 500 arrests since NY bail reform began

https://nypost.com/2022/08/03/career-criminals-rack-up-nearly-500-arrests-since-ny-bail-reform-began/

Quote:A small group of just 10 career criminals was allowed to run amok across the Big Apple and rack up nearly 500 arrests after New York enacted its controversial bail reform law — and most of them are still out on the streets, The Post has learned.

Stunning statistics compiled by the NYPD, and obtained first by The Post, show that the city’s alleged “worst of the worst” repeat offenders have been busted a total of 485 times since bail reform went into effect in 2020.

Two of the defendants are actually accused of embarking on lives of crime in the wake of bail reform, with one busted 33 times since 2020 and the other busted 22 times, all this year, the data shows.

Mayor Eric Adams — who’s been demanding that state legislators roll back the bail-reform law to crack down on repeat offenders — expressed outrage Wednesday while discussing the findings during an afternoon news conference at One Police Plaza.

“Our criminal justice system is insane,” he said.

“It is dangerous, it is harmful and it’s destroying the fabric of our city.”
Adams added: “Time and time again, our police officers make an arrest, and then the person who is arrested for assault, felonious assaults, robberies and gun possessions, they’re finding themselves back on the street within days– if not hours — after the arrest.”

RE: Democrats demand 1,000% excise tax on ‘assault weapons,’ high-capacity magazines - Ninurta - 08-06-2023

I doubt this will fly for very long if passed. While Congress DOES have the power according to the Constitution to "levy taxes", that power is constrained by the burden it places on enumerated rights, like the Second Amendment. You cannot tax a right out of existence.

This could have unintended consequences as well - it will make an "assault weapon" (what a silly, uneducated phrase!) more expensive than an actual machine gun, so why bother with a pale imitation if the real thing is cheaper? Just go for the gold and get the machine gun!

AND, if the tax is challenged and fails muster - which it has to do Constitutionally, since it violates rights - then that will also cause a revisitation on the tax stamp required to buy a machine gun, which has the potential to eliminate that tax as well, since it, too, is a frivolous tax on an actual right.

So, these dumbasses could actually be creating an atmosphere of "machine guns for everyone!"

I look forward to the day that freedom reigns in America again!

RE: Democrats demand 1,000% excise tax on ‘assault weapons,’ high-capacity magazines - Ninurta - 08-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 02:07 PM)Infolurker Wrote: COMBAT VET FACES FELONY CHARGES FOR POSSESSING 30-ROUND MAGS IN NY

https://www.guns.com/news/2013/02/25/combat-vet-faces-felony-charges-for-possessing-30-round-mags-in-ny-video

Mr. Haddad appears to have met with the startling discovery that the "freedom" he fought for can have a bitter taste indeed. 30 round mags were fine when he was killing Enemies of the State, but are suddenly verboten when he's not - they actually make him an Enemy of the State at that point!

This is one of the reasons I urge young folks considering a military stint to re-think it. Nowadays, what they are actually fighting for is their own subjugation and enslavement, and that doesn't seem to be an entirely sane course of action.

Don't provide the muscle for the State that only wants to pound YOU into the ground like a tent-peg.

ETA: it appears, from the circumstances mentioned in the article, that Mr. Haddad was set up by the State. Cops may show up if one is just sitting there, but the subject "do you have any standard capacity magazines on you?" doesn't come up unless they have foreknowledge that you do. They used to have a specific name for setups like that, back when America was not a communist dictatorship.

ETA2: A law coming into effect in NY bans any magazine over SEVEN rounds? That effectively bans all modern firearms other than revolvers. I know of no modern pistols that have such low magazine capacities. The Colt 1911 is the only pistol I know of with a 7 round magazine, and it can hardly be considered "modern" as the design is well over 100 years old now. Some bolt action deer rifles have magazines under 7 rounds - mine has a 4 round magazine... but deer rarely shoot back at you. My pistol has 17 round mags as standard - that is what it came with. I could not even get a 7 round mag for it, as they are not being made. So my pistol would be effectively banned. My rifle has 30 round magazines as standard. 10 rounds are the smallest one can even get for it - they don't make 7 round magazines for it... so my rifle would be effectively banned, too.

My Ruger 10/22 would also be effectively banned - it comes with a 10 round detachable magazine as standard, and they do not make 7 round magazines for it. While it is only a .22, the law in question would effectively ban it anyhow, because it has a detachable magazine rather than a tubular one, and the only exemption is for .22's with tubular, attached magazines that hold more than 7 rounds. So this new law is a back-door ban, a violation of the Second Amendment, and needs to be fought in court all the way to the Supremes if necessary, before criminals are the only armed people in New York. I would class any LE officers with the criminals as well if he or she carries magazines of a greater capacity than the citizens they allegedly protect are allowed. What's good for the goose is also good for the gander.

This ban would leave me with a black powder revolver and a 5 shot deer rifle to defend myself with... and what if the attackers are in a larger murderous crowd than those two dinosaurs were designed to handle? Luckily, I can swap out magazines on that deer rifle as fast as I can any other rifle, but I have practiced for that day when the deer attack in hordes - how many other folks have?