Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Movies & TV Shows (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=100)
+--- Thread: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... (/showthread.php?tid=107)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Freija - 05-20-2023

@"NightskyeB4Dawn"#10

Reacher and Black Mirror....yes, yes, yes!

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Freija - 05-28-2023

After finishing Citadel on Amazon and being kind of meh to disappointed about it, I wasn't ready to commit to another series but I did and thoroughly enjoyed it. Check out Fubar on Netflix.

Action, comedy, drama, quirky characters and witty dialog - what more could you ask for? Eight episodes with the final setting up a potential season two that I will definitely watch if it happens but you know Netflix and second seasons...

It was good!

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 05-28-2023

When you just want some entertaining weekend carnage of a legendary badass Finn in commando style WWII warfare putting Nazis through the grinder in over-the-top brutalizing bloody pulp methods, (even Ninurta will be impressed with the minefield scene) with sensationalized crimson juice splatter and feats of defying gravity that would impress any immortal, where the hero just refuses to die with a powerful narrative of determination, strength, and the unyielding spirit of human resilience, I recommend this Finnish movie... SISU - During the last desperate days of WWII, a solitary prospector (Jorma Tommila) crosses paths with Nazis on a scorched-earth retreat in northern Finland. When the Nazis steal his gold, they quickly discover that they have just tangled with no ordinary miner.

[Image: s5fAPf9.jpg]

Filmed in Finland's Lapland wilderness. No dialog for first ~15 minutes.
It's not as extravagant or grandiose as Inglourious Basterds, but very much enjoys being a hard-knox, gritty 1940s revenge fantasy in all the right ways.

[Image: GmSbWdA.jpg]

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - kdog - 05-28-2023

Britannia was a pretty good show. Romans and Druids fighting it out with witches and sorcery with some comedy thrown in and cool 60's music. Littled and I watched the first 2 seasons that were free on Amazon . 

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - NightskyeB4Dawn - 05-28-2023

I went to the movies for the first time in years, last week with my Sister, Brother, and Mother. It was a toss between Sisu, and Nefarious. Nefarious won out.

Nefarious is not a movie that all will like, but I really liked it. It has to be the cheapest movie ever made, but I really enjoyed it.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 05-28-2023

(05-28-2023, 10:56 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I went to the movies for the first time in years, last week with my Sister, Brother, and Mother. It was a toss between Sisu, and Nefarious. Nefarious won out.

Nefarious is not a movie that all will like, but I really liked it. It has to be the cheapest movie ever made, but I really enjoyed it.

Stranger times...I was cuing up some demon related stuff earlier today, seen your post and went to look up this "Nefarious" movie. Big Eyes 

Huh, I'll be checking this movie out. Thanks!

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - NightskyeB4Dawn - 05-28-2023

(05-28-2023, 11:05 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote:
(05-28-2023, 10:56 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I went to the movies for the first time in years, last week with my Sister, Brother, and Mother. It was a toss between Sisu, and Nefarious. Nefarious won out.

Stranger times...I was cuing up some demon related stuff earlier today, seen your post and went to look up this "Nefarious" movie. Big Eyes 

Please let me know what you think about it.

My family liked it so much that we ended up discussing it for about 3 whole hours, if not more.

It is one of those movies that makes for good conversation.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 05-29-2023

(05-28-2023, 11:16 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

My family liked it so much that we ended up discussing it for about 3 whole hours, if not more.

Will do. I'll be back.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - kdog - 05-29-2023

Waiting for it to come to streaming services. Looking forward to it.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - NightskyeB4Dawn - 05-29-2023

(05-29-2023, 02:27 AM)kdog Wrote:

Waiting for it to come to streaming services. Looking forward to it.

I am interested in what others have to say about it.

I asked a lady and a man as they were leaving the theater what they thought about it, and they said they both said they loved it.

It was one of those movies that makes you put on your thinking cap. I like those kind of movies.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - NightskyeB4Dawn - 05-29-2023

Have you seen “Knock At The Cabin”?

I read the book “Cabin At The End Of The World”. The movie has made me want to go back and read it again. 

It was close, very close, but a few things feel a little off. Will probably watch it again, just to make sure.

Another make you want to talk about it movie, just much lighter than “Nefarious”.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 06-11-2023

(05-28-2023, 11:16 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

Good psychological paranormal thriller. Thought its controversial moral message about humanity through a minimalist approach of demonic possession dialog was well played by Flanery. For me it had alot deep meaning realism, intriguing profound concepts especially when you think about how the past 3 years has played out.

After the doctor emphasizes how many positive changes people have invented and learned in modern times, Nefarious strikes back by mentioning the ingrained societal problems, from technological over consumption to racism.

No hair raising surprises like your typical horror films, but actually at least for me was more horrifying because of the real possibilities and of course that weighs heavily on your psyche depending on your beliefs.

I was not expecting to see Glenn Beck and later learned he promoted the Nefarious Plot book in real life.

"I didn't know I was in a fight," to which the demon responds, "That's why you're losing."

I wonder how much of the film included "A Nefarious Plot" (2016) and "A Nefarious Carol" (2020) by Steve Deace.

The demon's last words, "Mene mene tekel Uparsin" are the Aramaic words written by a mysterious hand on the wall of Belshazzar's palace, and interpreted by Daniel as predicting the doom of the king and his dynasty. Mentioned in the Book of Daniel 5:25.

A quick lookup says:
Mene: God has numbered the days of your reign and brought it to an end.
Tekel: You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting.
Uparsin: Your kingdom is divided and will be given to the Medes and Persians’. That night the King is slain as the Medes ransack the city.

That inscription appears after the final ending credits (last 15 seconds of the film) which are then read by a demonic voice. However further text from the demon voice is added which, translated, reads, "But you are stupid to not understand. It continues." Implying the Demon's work is not finished as he will find no shortage of people to possess...according to film trivia. I take it as fact in today's world!

The dedication page for the book, "A Nefarious Plot," by Steve Deace, states, "This book is dedicated to all the useful idiots out there, especially those of you who had no idea you were being used all this time, for you proved to be the most useful idiots of them all. -Nefarious." Deace has explained he wrote the book as quasi-sequel to "The Screwtape Letters," by C.S. Lewis.

Soooo, I can understand why you had a long discussion.

It is a real shame this movie is being buried, but since both writer/directors are devout Catholics it's no surprise in this age. I only knew Sean Patrick Flanery from  the cult classic "The Boondock Saints".

On the first day of filming of Nefarious, Jordan Belfi's son was born in LA while he was in Oklahoma...from this interview vid:

"There are moments that haunt me" NEFARIOUS star Jordan Belfi on how the film impacted him"

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-11-2023

It has been a long time since I have wanted to purchase a movie.The last movie I bought was over 10 years ago, it was Soylent Green. It was not easy to come me by at the time.

I bought it for the same reason I want to buy Nefarious. For viewing with friends and family and discussion.

Mene, mene, Tekel upharsin, is my go to phrase quite often around the boards.

I think this movie is being ignored as well. Number one reason for squelching it, is because they don't want people thinking. Nefarious makes you think.

In my opinion.

It has been a long time since I have wanted to purchase a movie.
The last movie I bought was over 10 years ago, it was Soylent Green. It was not easy to come me by at the time.

I bought it for the same reason I want to buy Nefarious. For viewing with friends and family and discussion.

Mene, mene, Tekel upharsin, is my go to phrase quit often around the board.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 06-12-2023

Blackberry (2023) is a MoneyBro movie par excellence, right up there with "Wall Street", "Glengarry Glen Ross", "Boiler Room" (2000; Vin Diesel, Ben Affleck) in a fast paced suspenseful, dark comedy of tech dreams play on insider knowledge or exploit an opponent’s weaknesses scoring vindicating promotions and huge paydays with charismatic sociopaths and sheep, and the capitalist system they operate in is deeply corrupt and rewards men without morals or conscience.

The BlackBerry, of course, was the handheld device that the iPhone and its imitators wiped out of the marketplace. Part one of the movie shows how Mike Lazaridis (played by Jay Baruchel) and his partner Douglas Fregin (goofy nerd) created the BlackBerry and figured out how to let huge numbers of them operate on the same cellular network without crashing the system, then watched as its popularity spread, putting them on the verge of becoming tech icons in the mold of Steve Jobs.

The movie sprints through the company’s rise starting in 1996, Research in Motion (RIM), compressing a lot of the story into lively montages. It shows us the beginning and end of this story but nothing else. It's a fun ride to watch. Filmed in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

"Let me tell you the best advice I ever got at Harvard. You want to be great, you need to sacrifice. The more painful the sacrifice, the greater you'll be."

[Image: h9Yi82O.jpg]

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Chiefsmom - 06-12-2023

I just finished up The Watcher, on netflix.

Good story, based on True events.

But boy, it would have ended very differently, if some crazy person like me would have bought that house.

The neighbors are nuts! The house is amazing, and the owners are kinda stupid.

Worth watching.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - NightskyeB4Dawn - 06-12-2023

(06-12-2023, 07:56 PM)Chiefsmom Wrote: I just finished up The Watcher, on netflix.

But boy, it would have ended very differently, if some crazy person like me would have bought that house.

Worth watching.

I have seen it advertised, but skipped it every time for that same reason.

I thought this is going to be a silly movie that is dragged out because of stupid people doing stupid things.

I was stalked and terrorized, one time, by an aggressive boyfriend that was unhappy with me breaking up with him. One night of hiding and being terrorized was enough.

I became the terror and I have never walked that path again.

Call me crazy, call me dead, but I will never run from something I don’t know, again. Now once I know what it is, I might run like the wind.
Sure

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 06-12-2023

(06-12-2023, 07:56 PM)Chiefsmom Wrote: I just finished up The Watcher, on netflix.

Worth watching.

Here's an article on the unsolved true account with a photo of The Watcher’s handwriting on one of the envelopes.

Taking Another Look at The Watcher - What we know about the case four years later

Now, I'm curious on watching The Watcher!

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 06-14-2023

The Second Crisis is coming. Foundation returns for Season two July 14 on Apple TV+.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 06-15-2023

Quote:2023 is going to be another great year for film. Avid moviegoers can expect new releases from top names like Wes Anderson, Ridley Scott, Martin Scorcese, Denis Villeneuve, and Christopher Nolan.

The following films are expected to premiere in 2023 or be given new release dates soon.

Argylle
Chicken Run 2
Coyote vs. Acme
Cuckoo
Havoc
Nightbitch
Red One
Road House
Saltburn
Spaceman
The Old Guard 2
Unfrosted

Friday, June 23
Asteroid City
No Hard Feelings
Revoir Paris (Limited)
Through My Window: Across the Sea (Netflix)

Friday, June 30
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken
Every Body (Limited)
Prisoner’s Daughter (Limited)
Nimona (Netflix)

Friday, July 14
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One
Theater Camp

Friday, July 21
Barbie
Oppenheimer
Stephen Curry: Underrated (Limited)
Cobweb (Limited)
They Cloned Tyrone (Netflix)

Friday, July 28
Haunted Mansion
Talk to Me

Friday, August 4
Meg 2: The Trench
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

Friday, August 11
Challengers
Gran Turismo
Last Voyage of the Demeter
Heart of Stone (Netflix)

Friday, August 18
Blue Beetle
Landscape with Invisible Hand
Strays
The Hill

Friday, August 25
Bottoms
They Listen
White Bird: A Wonder Story
Golda (Limited)
Lift (Netflix)

Friday, September 1
The Equalizer 3

3 ‘STAR WARS’ movies just got release dates: May 22, 2026; December 18, 2026; December 17, 2027.

More: The 2023 Film Release Date Guide - out to 2031.

Gotta keep that money train rollin!
[Image: FN3oTFy.jpg]
Netflix Bites

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - MisterSpock - 06-15-2023

Just finished the last half of Ozark, nice cliffhanger, Don't know why they didn't renew or go for a few more seasons.

Whatever, anything good dies on the vine.

Going old school now. Sliders, classic.